JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What are you shooting, full size or mousegun? I actually bought a box of each weight and took them to the range. The 147 gr give a lot of recoil in a smaller gun...too much for me. If you have some of each, try shooting some groups of 4 or 5 with each and see how quickly you can recover for the next shot. Can you shoot faster with one weight over the the others? Do you flinch anticipating recoil with the heavier round?

There are plenty of articles and opinions on the 147gr. If you want to sit in front of the computer for hours, do a search on "9mm 147 vs 115".

usually the 147gr cost a little more, but that is just due to the cost of lead not the actual bullet being "better".

Quick break down without using google. 115gr will kill something dead... 147gr will kill soemthing deader

well i have both and i have a sr9 (my dad does) and the hi shoks r + P's

ok guess thanks i figured one might be more spending then the next

Shane

I can't find the link, darn it, but I read something really interesting.

Short version - 115 gr shows more energy "on paper." 147 gr shows more damage in actual gel. The author likened the 147 to getting hit by a slower sledgehammer as opposed to a faster framing hammer. The slower, heavier was more "crushing" in real life. Penetration depth was actually greater and wound size bigger with the heavier bullet.

But, in a really light gun...as jimwsea said...

$.02

Just my $.02, but in these ultra compacts that hold maybe 7+1, or in my 5 shot J frame, I like to think that I'm getting the best I can with each shot.

But then, since I've never had to actually use a gun in self defense, and hope I never do, what would I know? :)

I recently shot a clip of 147 grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHP through my wifes Taurus PT92. The noise and recoil was increased ... not bad for me but more than she prefers. The rounds cycled through without a problem and shot an acceptable pattern.

My only experience is in hunting. I vividly remember the first elk I shot. The bull elk suddenly appeared, coming over a low ridge, about 200 yards away.

To this day I don't recall any recoil, and I didn't hear the noise from the gun. I was so focused on the job at hand that I didn't even know how many rounds I fired until I counted what was left in the mag and looked for empties on the ground. (I fired twice.)

The next day I had a nice bull elk and a slight bruise on my shoulder from the 7mm mag, but at the actual time of shooting I didn't hear or feel anything.

$.02

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads