JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am probably late to the party on this but I just shot my first box of 9mm 147gr jhp. Wow. I like it a lot. Bought a trial box from Freedom Munitions and I will be buying more. I am shooting it through a CZ75b for strictly defensive use. Very surprised at how soft a round it was to shoot. Not nearly as snappy feeling as the 124gr ammo to my hands. Accurate too out to 25 yards which is the length of my range. Compared it with a box of American Eagle 124gr which I normally use for range work. Same grip and stance the AE ammo typically looks like a shotgun pattern on paper down range. [waiting for the good natured jokes about my pistol prowess to subside :)] Again, same grip and stance produced very respectable results down range. Much better than with 124gr. Reproduced these results mag after mag. Gotta be the ammo, right? :-o I will keep looking into this. With the ballistics/penetration studies the 147gr compares very favorably with my beloved 230gr 45 acp. The CZ is somewhat easier to CC and with the 147gr rounds I would [probably] interchange it with the 45 without feeling like I am giving up a ballistic edge. Fun stuff.

Generally, heavier bullets have less powder behind them, and therefore have less velocity and recoil. So, if you're loading for range use, no problem. Shoot what you like. Your powder will go farther, but bullets will cost a bit more.
Problem comes when loading for SD. 9mm needs velocity to get the bullets expanded. 45 doesn't need velocity so much because it has diameter to begin with. So, those heavier, slower bullets in 9mm don't do so well for SD. If you get those heavier bullets up to velocities where they expand, you'll be using more powder, and you'll have more recoil. You're back where you were with the lighter bullets.

Last Edited:
I tried several 115gr brands in my P01. I found them to hit an average of 4" lower of POA. I adjusted my POA and found it too much thinking. The next trip was several brands of 124gr. I found that the comparison for POI/POA was more consistent at most distances. I favor the results and performance of the 124gr currently. Now, what to do with all my 115gr?

I'd considered the next two in the mix, 135gr and 147gr as my next trip

147gr Keith HP and 5.5gr of Accurate #7 Runs great out of my S&W 469. :)
I had to make a special seating tool to prevent deforming the bullets.:eek:
Almost forgot...CCI Magnum Small Pistol primers

HP Seating Tool-1.jpg HP Seating Tool-2.jpg

Last Edited:
Yeah thanks I did pull that up and look at it. What did you see that might wave someone off the 147gr as a defensive round? Got it bookmarked. Will go back and review again. Thanks.

OK got it. Over penetrations meaning possibly that mushrooming was not entirely successful. All of the 124gr ammo in that test that I currently use for SD came out like huckleberries. :)

I think the clothing barrier used in the test is towards the light side. In the NW, during the winter, I can see leather jackets, carhartts, long johns, etc. For worst case scenarios, I try to factor in the effects of adrenaline, intoxicants, and human psychology as well. I think what waves people off a heavier SD 9mm round is the recoil in a compact and subcompact pistol, even more so at +P velocities like the round I developed. My Ruger is really my first choice, as a full sized pistol fits my hands better, and also absorbs more recoil with it's weight and increased power spring. I think the thing to do is pair the round weight/velocity with your specific gun (considering it's weight and size), and then finding what round lets you fire accurately, remembering that the process of firing a single round includes setting up/reacquiring for the next shot, and putting 3 to 5 rounds center of mass in efficient fashion. The gun/round that lets you develop that proficiency would, I think, be your best choice. That's the way I look at it anyway.

I may buy a box of 147gr cast to play around with. I mean it's only $30 or so and I'll have 500 to toy with.

Yeah, man why not? I'm sure you'll find a sweet load. I'd be interested in what you develop.
Priced it out, about $40 for 500 from Travis at T&B Bullets... Waiting until I need some more .40 so I make one trip to Sweet Home.

I would love to see more info about where those bullets hit, what else the guy was wearing, and what the bullets looked like, etc., then recreate the shots and see if the same thing happens. One could say they started mushrooming out too early maybe? A switch up of the bullet making material/build? Cheap metals? A secret superhero-villain in carhartts? Some of the comments mention Whipple-Shield https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipple_shield

Re: Whipple Shield

That's an interesting concept. Something like Exploding Armor. As for the canvas jacket,
I ruined a perfectly good canvas tarp attempting to use it as a backstop behind 3 layers
of cardboard in my pellet gun range.:( and I was only at half power. :eek:

I fire the 147gr from my XDm all the time. I do this mainly because I have a SilencerCo Osprey so I want the round to be sub-sonic and the 147gr bullet is the way to go.

I have just started reloading 9mm and I am needing to go shoot my load workups using Barry's 147gr RN. I am using CCI small pistol primers and 3.2 to 3.6 grains of Titegroup powder. I am hoping to go out next weekend to try them out to see what one I like the best.

I tried 3.5 gr of Bulls-Eye in the 9mm 3" barrel and found it was awfully dirty, (147gr. cast HP.) while the same load burns clean in a 4 3/4" .38Spl.o_O
Someone suggested Accurate#7 and I worked up to 5.5grs before my groups were acceptable. I don't know if that's "Sub-Sonic", but they go through 5, 1gal. water jugs.:eek:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top