JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been trying to find solid credible info on the addition of serial numbers to previously not controlled parts. Can someone point me in that direction. I hear rumblings that 2023 could be a real downer for building a AR. Most previously thought well hell i got a stripped lower already so now i can do what i want when i want. Now I am hearing buy it all now its only going to get harder to build an AR.
That covers a very broad spectrum and not really documented in a single place/link. If you own a PMF, you don't have to do anything. The only time it has to be serialized is if you transfer ownership, or if it goes into possession of an FFL.

The push to "buy them now" is simply because Brandon is weaponizing the alphabets to try and circumvent congress. He can't get the definition of a "firearm" changed legally so he is trying to regulate them administratively. If he is successful, for a time before the courts throw it out, then you may not be able to purchase 80% frames or receivers without having to go through an FFL and having them serialized. They will still be availalbe for purchase, but they lose their appeal for many if they become a regulated "firearm".

Stripped completed lowers (with serial numbers) typically being a bit cheaper and commercially produced to spec.

"I got a stripped lower already so now I can do what I want when I want." That is absolutely correct. Pistol? Rifle? SBR? AOW? It's your choice!

In a nutshell... it really only affects those that build from unserialized 80% frames/receivers. It really has no impact on the ease or difficulty of putting together a firearm... only the ability to produce unserialized PMF's. Two different animals altogether.

If you want documentation from the horses mouths then I would start browsing the ATF open letters and press releases starting back the first of October. From there... reviewing the applicable laws and policy changes on the subject over the past 6 years or so.. for context of what the rules where, which are still standing and which have been impacted by recent changes. Have fun! :s0155:

Last Edited:
I have been trying to find solid credible info on the addition of serial numbers to previously not controlled parts. Can someone point me in that direction. I hear rumblings that 2023 could be a real downer for building a AR. Most previously thought well hell i got a stripped lower already so now i can do what i want when i want. Now I am hearing buy it all now its only going to get harder to build an AR.
This may be our future if ATF keeps going down the path.

1672225556316.png

Will this change be retroactively enforceable like binary trigger change and bump stock change?

Delta Team Tactical has had a run on their 80% blank inventory and G17 size slides. There are still some products remaining but slim pickings now.

I would not be surprised if ATF contacts companies who sold these products and ask them to recall these products.

This is a separate issue, but if the "assault firearm" ban that Oregon will probably pass this year is a word for word copy of IP18, any part that could be assembled into an "assault firearm" would also be banned (my phone isn't letting me copy text from a pdf but it's Section 3(8)(f)). Depending on how the stasi interpret that part (and more importantly, how sellers interpret it) things like barrels with gas ports, bolt carriers with gas keys, uppers with the hole for a gas tube, gas tubes, gas blocks, fire control parts, buffers, recoil springs, magazine catches, etc. could all be banned.

This is a separate issue, but if the "assault firearm" ban that Oregon will probably pass this year is a word for word copy of IP18, any part that could be assembled into an "assault firearm" would also be banned (my phone isn't letting me copy text from a pdf but it's Section 3(8)(f)). Depending on how the stasi interpret that part (and more importantly, how sellers interpret it) things like barrels with gas ports, bolt carriers with gas keys, uppers with the hole for a gas tube, gas tubes, gas blocks, fire control parts, buffers, recoil springs, magazine catches, etc. could all be banned.
Good point.

Predictable results from a predictable agency. Just you wait for the brace buying panic any day, now. Suddenly people find money they "didn't have" right before things got banned.

Predictable results from a predictable agency. Just you wait for the brace buying panic any day, now. Suddenly people find money they "didn't have" right before things got banned.

What's worse is the AFT suddenly "finding" money in the pork barrel spending bill that congress shoved through at the last minute. Now the DOJ and AFT are fully funded to harass legal citizens over receivers and pistol braces...yay....

So why even bother doing an FFL transfer?

Asking for a friend.
no point, just private transfer....... its simple, FFL transfers were nothing more than a cash grab and its not the govt business what two grown people exchange and trade. I will say they could pass laws that say "you are liable if you end up selling to a felon" that would automatically prevent people from sellign to those whom they do not know but for the act of selling it should be no one's concern

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top