JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got a batch of mixed 60-62gr .224 bonded soft points and I'm scratching my head on some conflicting load data. Nosler says that with H335 the max charge is 25.0gr Under a 62gr partition, where as Hodgdon's website lists the max at 21.4gr using a 62gr sft scir bullet. I also have a friend that a manual he's using has a max of 25.0gr for 62gr. (I will try and get the manual and data from him today for verification).
So my question is who do ya believe? Checking around other forums it seems that most start at 23.0 and work up to no more the 25.0, but here's where I get really confused Hodgdon lists a 63gr Sierra at 25.0gr max...:s0092:
Anybody got some input? Is 60-64 bullet weight all the same charge?

Something you need to remember is that all guns even those that are identical of the same make and model will vary in pressure developed. The variation in chamber dimensions, bore dimensions, action and smoothness etc will affect the pressure hence the 10% below maximum starting suggestion. Another issue is brass, bullets and primer variations. Even if you use the same exact components in the same exact gun listed in the loading manual your pressure will be different, maybe less maybe more but not identical. It may not be much difference but it can make a huge and potentially dangerous difference.

Personally if I am going toward maximum velocity I will start a little higher than minimum however my goal is always best accuracy which is usually somewhere less than the maximum load which is another reason to stay away from max. To me accuracy is all that matters because whatever you shoot won't notice any variation in velocity.

M855 62g projo's Lake City primed brass ( WC844 25.5-26g MAXED OUT )
For the 10.5's + 11.5 commando's.

M856 -64g projo's Lake City primed brass (WC844T 26.5-27g MAXED OUT )
For the 10.5's + 11.5 commando's.

**Also have loaded M856 projo's in UAE Primed brass with UAE Powder and 23.5g is the MAX**

If you start out around 21-22 you are gonna be ok.:)

Last Edited:
Of course I plan on starting low I was thinking 20.5, I guess my concern is why does a major bullet manufacturer and a major powder company have two totally different max charge for the same bullet weight? Can overall bullet selection such as a Partition vs a V Max have that great of a pressure difference even though they are the same mass?
If the difference in max were .3grs I Wouldn't fuss but 3.6grs is quite a different beast, and I think the source of my confusion is they list a heavier bullet 63gr with more powder than their 62gr load which from every thing I've read in manuals is heavier bullet = less powder. So could this be a bearing surface of bullet causing less/more pressure issue?

Don't know why the powder difference.

Pressure changes DRASTICALLY ,lot to lot so the book is for ref. Not the Bible. be all-end all.
If you can buy powder by the 100lb Drum you will be better of in the long run.
Start with a mid load and work up or down depending on how it shoot's.

I run them as hot as they will take.
As long as the primers aren't pooping out the end of the case.
Yes-- Flat primers and all....
BUT I get to replace the barrels after 10-15k rounds.
My choice, my ammo, my gun's.
I could save 2-3 barrels a year if I backed it down. IF.... I wanted too.

(snip)Can overall bullet selection such as a Partition vs a V Max have that great of a pressure difference even though they are the same mass?
Theoretically, yes. But, I've never seen a big difference. Certainly not the big difference being written about here. I've reloaded 55gr bulk bullets from 5 different makers. 3 different 62gr bulk stuff. 8 different "varmint" bullets, and 3 "match" bullets. I've never seen any huge difference in pressure, and therefore max charge, just due to bullet design, or manufacturer.

Just for reference, my bolt gun with the exact charge of powder shoots 50gr. Hornady zombies and 50gr. Hornady soft points 3" different poi at 100yds. Both nickle size groups, but that much different. Also my m@p doesn't like "soft" loads so don't go to low either. Hodgden has been at this a pretty long time. I usually start with their mid-loads and go from there. Always were shooting glasses!!! Let us know what you decide and how it works out.:)

;)I reference all data I can get.

Then I find the LOWEST maximum charge and use that as my max. I also find the lowest minimum and use that as my minimum. Sometimes they only give me a 2gr spread and sometimes it's 5. I play it safe.

Period! <-or exclamation point.

I appreciate everyones help. I have been reloading pistol calibers for awhile now and rather enjoyed how straight forward it is but this is my first step into loading bottle neck rifle and I'm taking it the slow and steady way. And just so it's known I'm weighing each bullet and powder charges are going though two scales (Beam scale and RCBS Range Master 750) for saftey purposes. I just finished some 55's and tonight I'll work on the 62's and I'll give an update probably Thursday evening if possible.:)

Courier
Good to know you have some experience reloading.
Testing fixtures aren't all the same.
Barrel lengths alter velocity. Bullet dimensions are not all the same
Temperature, chamber pressures alter powder burn.
I was going to list all the kabooms, squibs caused by ...
Tired repeating myself.
I agree with Dygital's post #10.
Please be careful
Have fun

I try and be extremely anal about my loading procedures brass must look factory, new all the same length, same head stamp, and if testing loads I mostly use once or twice fired brass if possible. Some may cringe at this but I trim all my pistol brass...:s0001:
My favorite kaboom is on an article called "Why Guns Blow Up" I certainly took a look at my bench and got things more organized after seeing that model 29 with the cylinder blown in half.

I agree with dyjital;) it is hard to go with a combo not listed exactly. Researching data will get you in the ball park. If you start with the lowest low, you are more than safe. If accuracy is good and you are satisfied, you may be content. A chrony may or may not throw you into the reloading "twilight zone". It did me due to the facts that what manuel one said no way represented what manuel one said in terms of velocity. All of my pet loads have been developed by hours of research. The ultimate end is---I love this load!!! Common sense and lstening asking are stepping stones. Good lucko_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top