JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to get some ammo, I like the heavier 62gr bullet but in the past, m855 hasn't given me the best groups. I was wanting opinions on m855 accuracy at range (500 yards and in) vs 55gr ammo out of a 16" barrel. Have you guys had any luck with it? Or is the 55gr more accurate because there is no steel core to throw it off? Also, if anyone has 40 or 60 rounds I could buy, specifically PMC ammo, I would be very interested for some testing before I buy in bulk, thanks!

M855 is not an accurate round. Even handloaded you are lucky to get 1.5MOA at best.

If you care about groups, Look at 69GR SMK. They are the universal accurate load for most AR's, and have good performance on flesh.

Not as good as a bonded or soft point, but much more accurate.

Not sure how accurate this is:

1598371711596.png

M855 is not an accurate round. Even handloaded you are lucky to get 1.5MOA at best.

If you care about groups, Look at 69GR SMK. They are the universal accurate load for most AR's, and have good performance on flesh.

Not as good as a bonded or soft point, but much more accurate.
That's what I expected. I'm looking for about 2-3 MOA out of it. If I could get 1.5 I would excited. And once this whole ammo thing calms down, I would prefer to get Hornady frontier 69gr ammo cause it was about $10 a box. and I had great luck with the m193 load and the 55gr BTHP load. But I found m855 PMC ammo at a decent price and want to pick some up. My range is 450 right now and I want to expand to 500. If I can hit a 12" steel at that distance with m855, I would ecstatic!

The 55gr FMJ is hands down more accurate through my 1:7 barrels (16" and 20") than M855 at all distances. I won't be buying anymore M855. I still have a few hundred rounds because I don't want to waste a range trip on them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think the M855 was designed to penetrate cover, like cinder blocks, etc. I guess if the reptilians ever land I guess I can use it against it them.

Last Edited:
One guy's opinion ...

My Thompson/Center Encore in .223 [1:9 twist] does best with 50-55 gr bullets. My AR's [16" and 18" barrels, 1:7 twist] do better with the heavier bullets. I have plenty of the 62 gr M855, but consider it blasting ammo for the grandsons to use.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top