JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mean if I get the 650 and run though my components in a few days,then what?
I do have a couple friends that I would let use it,I think (or would I?)
One of them is thinking of us splitting the cost but then one has to travel to the press.

But the real question is the 550 or the 650. And I really like the case feed but kinda like the price of the 550 and the changes.

Do i need to write more to be more confusing?

Thanks Oh Smart Ones
Mike

Buy a 550. If you find that you need faster production in the future, sell and get a 650. They hold their price well.
Forget that...buy a 1050 and load for your friends...like me!

I used my buddies 550 for a long time and liked it very much.
but then he sold it and i bought a 650 and i would never go back.
I love my 650 i have the case feed too next i want to buy a bullet feed..

I recently acquired the 650 and that's the press I wanted, somewhat soley for the powder check station. The caliber conversion kits are a little bit more, but it wasn't enough to make "the difference."

I started reloading on a friend's 550, then spent many years reloading pistol calibers only on a couple of SDB's (which I still recommend to anyone who is sticking with pistols). However, now that I have a 650 I see that it is definitely worth the extra money over a 550!

I know its not what everyone else is doing, but the hornady lnl ap is an awesome machine, does everything the 650 does and costs less than a 550.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Well I do have the money for the 650 with the case feed. Like my friend said,the auto index is a big plus.Takes one part out of the process.
A guy can set up a bullet feed instead of the powder check? I was reading Enos' stuff (thanks deadshot2)and he said he never used the powder check.

I'm kinda set on the 650 but wanted to see how many said it's not worth it.Guess it is
Now to see if it's available

I'm a major fan of the 650 but primarily because I load so much 9mm and .223 ammo. The press excels with the high volume I need for these calibers.

That said, if one only loads bolt action rifle loads, the 550 is more than adequate and maybe even more desirable. The 550 can be set up with a powder die and funnel for charging with individually weighed loads (yes, so can the 650 but if that's your desire, why spend the extra?).

Both machines are great and that's what puts so many in a quandary as to which one they should buy. If you are fine with "slow and steady" the 550 does a great job. If you are shooting hundreds and hundreds of rounds of pistol or semi-auto rounds per week/month, go with a 650. If you like to load for more time than you shoot, a 550. If you want to shoot more time than it takes to reload, a 650.

I don't mind the bolt gun calibers with the rock chucker,well my 270 at least.
And the point was to spend more time shooting

Deadshot2,you were telling me about just buying the powder die to then just move the powder measure around?
A cowboy shooter up here said to buy the measures cause it was hell adjusting the powder measure for another caliber.
Another guy laughed when I told him that.He said he believed it probably was difficult for our mutual friend.

Anyway thanks again to all the reload brains here that are always more than helpful.

mike

I don't mind the bolt gun calibers with the rock chucker,well my 270 at least.
And the point was to spend more time shooting

Deadshot2,you were telling me about just buying the powder die to then just move the powder measure around?
A cowboy shooter up here said to buy the measures cause it was hell adjusting the powder measure for another caliber.
Another guy laughed when I told him that.He said he believed it probably was difficult for our mutual friend.

Anyway thanks again to all the reload brains here that are always more than helpful.

mike

If you use the "powder die" method and just change the powder measure back and forth, it's real easy to change the powder setting if you also swap the powder "slide" as well. I have several of these slides sitting around and even if I don't change the powder measure from one tool head to another, I just swap them when changing powder, bullet, or anything else that might call for a different setting. Once I get it set I merely mark the end of the slide with the powder/charge/bullet. Easy to change by just loosening the pivot screw, removing the actuator "shoe", and slipping the whole assy out.

A complete powder measure is just under $80. A powder bar is under $30. Each powder measure comes with two bars, one for small charges and the other for large. If you're lucky, one bar can be set high enough and the other low enough to accomodate two different powders or weights.

I know its not what everyone else is doing, but the hornady lnl ap is an awesome machine, does everything the 650 does and costs less than a 550.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

That's what sold me! I didn't feel like I needed to drop that kind of dough just to drink the Koolaid. Plus I got a new press for cost. Didn't even pay retail which made it even more attractive. So I can be into the press and the auto case feeder for about the same price as a 650 and a couple caliber conversions.

Originally Posted by pry View Post

That's what sold me! I didn't feel like I needed to drop that kind of dough just to drink the Koolaid. Plus I got a new press for cost. Didn't even pay retail which made it even more attractive. So I can be into the press and the auto case feeder for about the same price as a 650 and a couple caliber conversions...lol

OK I already drank the "red" coolaid and had a bad reaction to it.Wasn't everything they said it would be.
I sold it and my used 550 just to buy the 650
Yeah and then thought I could get away with the 550 again :huh:

I've used a 550 for years, primarily loading handgun ammo as well as to feed the M1 (70 years old this April!)...I can put out a bunch of rounds without the benefit of a case feeder, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Dillon's customer is second to none, and this thing just keeps churning out the rounds.

One press may not be enough... lol.. ask me.. ???
You will probably want 2- 650's.. One set up for small primer, and one for large primer.. then pretty soon you will want to dedicate the 3rd one to your most often reloaded rifle caliber. then,,,,,,, Maybe a 550 for the low volume hunting rifle, and large caliber handguns, (50ae. 44mag, etc..) then maybe you can start reloading.. always..... just my .02c

One press may not be enough... lol.. ask me.. ???
You will probably want 2- 650's.. One set up for small primer, and one for large primer.. then pretty soon you will want to dedicate the 3rd one to your most often reloaded rifle caliber. then,,,,,,, Maybe a 550 for the low volume hunting rifle, and large caliber handguns, (50ae. 44mag, etc..) then maybe you can start reloading.. always..... just my .02c

Why a second press just for primer size change? Just get a second primer assembly. Two screws and a punch assembly change. Good time for press maintenance too.

I've found one progressive to be more than adequate. Just load a representative quantity for your various caliber shooting needs in one session. Do cleaning, lube, and adjustments when changing calibers, then run a few thou or so of the next one. Just save up more brass so you don't have to be changing calibers all the time. Rarely will I do a run of 9mm or .223 of less than 3,500 or so.

OK I already drank the "red" coolaid and had a bad reaction to it.Wasn't everything they said it would be.
I sold it and my used 550 just to buy the 650
Yeah and then thought I could get away with the 550 again :huh:

what was wrong with your LNL AP?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR