JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I did a search here and can't find an answer. Somebody, please? :)

I want to try hunting with AR-15 and AR-10 this year. I can't get a clear answer on the number of rounds my guns can legally hold.

I have 5 round mags for each, but I'm concerned that the law may say that the gun's capacity must not exceed 5 rounds. Since I usually have 1 in the chamber, the actual "capacity" is 6 even if I have only 4 in the mag.

Does anyone here know for sure what the law is, and how I comply with it?

Oh, this is Oregon.

Thanks! :)

I dont know about hunting with an ar15. I would thinkyou could. People do hunt with 223. A ggun can only have 5 rounds in a clip and 1 in the tube. I would thinkif you have a 5 round mag you would be good but you may get stoped just because a the rifle you carry.
Get a game regulationsor check online.

Assuming you're hunting in Oregon for "big game" (others have different restrictions):

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/regulations/weapons.asp

Centerfire Firearm

* Fully automatic firearms prohibited.

* Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).

* Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.

* Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species.

So, basically you just need to block your mag capacity down to 5 rounds. Or have a dedicated 5 round mag.

You can use an AR for Big Game. It has to be at least a .22 centerfire, of which the .223, 5.56, 243, 6.8, 7.62x39, 308, 50 beowulf, etc. to name a few.

From the OR state hunting regulations (which is where you should read anyway)

"CENTERFIRE FIREARM
Fully automatic firearms prohibited.
Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).
Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.
Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire
firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species."

So with your 5-shot mag you should be fine.

I used to use an AR for dear, it is legal to use. I would recomend the federal gold using 69gr hp it worked very well for me. Last one I got with it was 150 yrds aimed at eye gland and got his eyebrow, anyway he dropped where he stood. Now I use my 45/70 it's lighter and dont have to worry how I place the shot.

I used to use an AR for dear, it is legal to use. I would recomend the federal gold using 69gr hp it worked very well for me. Last one I got with it was 150 yrds aimed at eye gland and got his eyebrow, anyway he dropped where he stood. Now I use my 45/70 it's lighter and dont have to worry how I place the shot.

Thanks guys. Normally I hunt deer with my .270, but I thought the AR's would be fun for a change. I do have 5 round mags and some Remington psp ammo.

I have a question related to this. Does anybody know if I can hunt for deer or what not with my mec-tec CCU 460 rowland carbine during rifle season. My fear is that since it is a pistol cartridge they will declare the Carbine also a pistol. Also I fear that since it is an accessory to a 1911 pistol and not technically a rifle they will also declare it to be a pistol thus eliminating the possibility of hunting with it during rifle season. I can achieve 2000fps and and more then 1500 ft/lb's at the muzzle with this carbine using a 185 JHP. That in my mind is plenty of power to take a deer at 100-150yards.

Anybody know the law in this regard?

I have a question related to this. Does anybody know if I can hunt for deer or what not with my mec-tec CCU 460 rowland carbine during rifle season. My fear is that since it is a pistol cartridge they will declare the Carbine also a pistol. Also I fear that since it is an accessory to a 1911 pistol and not technically a rifle they will also declare it to be a pistol thus eliminating the possibility of hunting with it during rifle season. I can achieve 2000fps and and more then 1500 ft/lb's at the muzzle with this carbine using a 185 JHP. That in my mind is plenty of power to take a deer at 100-150yards.

i don't know ODFW regulations on the matter, but a carbine is a rifle, regardless of caliber. SBRs, carbines, rifles- doesn't matter what caliber, if the receiver is a "rifle" receiver, you have a rifle in your hand. likewise, a pistol with a rifle caliber is still a pistol.

i wouldn't hesitate to hunt with a rifle that shoots a pistol caliber, if thats what i wanted to do

interesting question. you certainly meet the minimum requirements for caliber size for handgun or rifle. I would consider your gun a rifle. It being a shoulder fired weapon, with a bbl length of at least 16". no matter what it started out life as. but THEN you have the ability to shoot too many cartridges out of a semi-auto rifle. you would need to put a plug in the mag to limit capacity to 5 rnds

interesting question. you certainly meet the minimum requirements for caliber size for handgun or rifle. I would consider your gun a rifle. It being a shoulder fired weapon, with a bbl length of at least 16". no matter what it started out life as. but THEN you have the ability to shoot too many cartridges out of a semi-auto rifle. you would need to put a plug in the mag to limit capacity to 5 rnds

FYI, there's no stipulation on barrel length either. You can hunt with a short barrel.

Yes I did know that I'd have to plug the mag to limit it to 5 rounds. Thanks for your comments. :s0155:

You should come up to Washington and hunt. We don't have any magazine capacity limits, however, the rules state you can NOT hunt big game with anything smaller than a .243 You CAN hunt Cougar with any .22 CENTERFIRE So .223 or 5.56 would be fine. If you can't get the shot done in 2 go home, you shouldn't be in the woods with a firearm.

Good Luck

If you can't get the shot done in 2 go home, you shouldn't be in the woods with a firearm.

Good Luck

The first shot is just to give "fair chase." The rest are for bringing it down. :D

Don't you know that the cold bore shot is always off anyway? ;)

I kid...I carry 1 round for the game. I carry a box of ammo to help people find me when I get lost in the woods. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top