JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, to be fair Manny shot an M1 Garand on Sat and then two AK's on Sun. His first AK was an underfolder where you just couldn't get a good cheek weld and his other his front sight post was frozen and he just about had to hold off of paper.

I offered him a loaner and accepted. I asked if he would like a standard stock or something with a pistol grip like he had been shooting. I didn't mention it was pink until after he made his choice :D

That particular rifle belongs to her

Cellphone092512176.jpg

How many people need to sign up for them to hold a class? I'm concerned that there are apparently only 3 people signed up for the Eagle Creek shoot. I plan to attend this with two family members, but after buying rifles for the event, I have have been waiting to sign up until payday. I just want to make sure they won't cancel the class for lack of participation.

Last I checked there are 12 pre-regs and I haven't bought my 4 or 5 tickets yet for the people I bring. There will be a shoot and I expect 25+ on the line.

To specifically answer the question we *rarely* cancel an event and I have seen Internal After Action Reports where instructors showed up even though there were no pre-regs in case someone was a walk on. We are dedicated if nothing else :)

Just wanted to point out that if you head over to the forums that Prescott mentioned earlier (Project Appleseed - Index) at the top of the page there is an announcement that there will be some registration vouchers available for purchase this holiday season for $50. There was also a thread started there asking how to purchase as they are not yet available in the store. Fred replied that he jumped the gun putting the announcement up there, but that they should be available in about a week. So $50 for a voucher worth $80...I already have several people in mind to give these to as Christmas presents (myself included).

I learned to shoot from my dad in the 1950s and have been a crack shot all my life, but I have had little success in teaching others to shoot well, including my wife. With a pistol shes a regular Annie Oakly, but not with a rifle. So I took her to the Appleseed in Wilsonville several years ago. We were in for a big surprise.

The first time I shot for a score I was just a couple of points below Rifleman. Then the fellas started teaching me the Rifleman way to shoot. It was different than my 50 years of experience, but doable. So I worked at it. By the end of the weekend I still had not scored the prized Rifleman patch shooting the new way (for me). BUT, I could see through my stubbornness that the Appleseed way is a transferable concept, my old way of shooting is not.

On our rural property I can now shoot Rifleman scores almost every time (I ordered all the targets and stuff from Fred). I have been able to teach my adult children and a few others to shoot the Rifleman way without it being a big deal. It just takes a little time, patience, and ammo. The most fun was with my career Marine sons, they both shoot even better.

The Appleseed project is one of the most worthwhile things there is to get involved with. They are really good people and they know what they are doing, they taught this old dog some new tricks!

I went to an Appleseed a few weeks ago with Kimber Custom. First time "real" rifle shooting for me and quite the learning experience, both in terms of shooting as well as finding out my body needs more of a regular beating to stay in line with what's needed to get half-decent (way below Rifleman score) precision at distance. :)

In the prep info sheet they recommend bringing protein-rich carb-poor snacks. That was one huge eye-opener: Stepping down a notch on carbs and up on proteins kept my ability to focus and perform at a nice steady(-ish :)) rate throughout the day. It also encouraged me to eat less and even my wife says I look thinner already. My thick carry belt now needs extra holes when there's no iwb holster.

Besides all that, it is great fun and a good and humbling learning experience doing something we like, shooting, while also picking up a bit of US history. That was good for me too, as a relative newcomer to the US. :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top