JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Myth 1: "I don't need Appleseed; I already know how to shoot"

Like the adage of 'there's more than one way to skin a cat' there are many ways to shoot. The techniques we teach will simply become one more tool in your range bag. Every professional shooter talks about going back to the fundamentals. You will get those fundamentals at Appleseed. Steady Hold Factors for standing, secondary and prone positions, Natural Point Of Aim, the 6 steps to taking the shot, how to zero your rifle and make adjustments out to 500y, range estimation, battle sight zero (and more).

If nothing else you will get 400 rounds of dedicated trigger time.

Myth 2: "Appleseed is just for beginners/women/kids"

We do pride ourselves on being a family friendly, safe environment for all experience levels; however, when push comes to shove it is you, your rifle and your target. As an experienced shooter you have an opportunity to focus on some of the more advanced techniques.

Appleseed is a great opportunity to bring someone with you. What kind of future do firearms have if we don't share our knowledge and passion with others?

Myth 3: "I don't have the right equipment for Appleseed"

Bring what'cha got. Yes, the ideal rifle is a semi auto, mag fed (2 mags), .22lr w/GI style sling. I have seen bolt action, lever action, tube fed and even single shot rifles on the line. If you want to shoot center fire by all means (varies by specific range limitations) we love to see people qualify with CF rifles.

Most instructors bring loaner equipment for those that may need it.

The single most important thing to bring to an Appleseed shoot is a teachable attitude; everything else can be overcome.

Myth 4: "Appleseed is a political or religious event"

We do have a 'secret' mission to engage Americans in their heritage and history. We want them to think about what it took to have the liberties we have today and to get involved in the political process through voting or even running for office. We do not talk modern politics, candidates or modern militias.

We are an all volunteer (from the top down, nobody gets a paycheck from Appleseed) organization and I will grant you that the type of people that gravitate to being instructors tend to lean stereotypical right wing, but we make a conscious effort to leave it at the door.

Our goal is to promote liberty and marksmanship. We believe this goal builds a stronger community and therefore a stronger America.

Myth 5: "I don't have the time to go to Appleseed"

This one is harder to debunk because all of us have obligations and time is our most valuable commodity. The truth is we all have the same number of hours in the day and it's a matter of priorities. You will clearly get the most out of Appleseed if you attend both days, the full day. That said, I'd rather have you come on one day than not at all.

Make the time to come to an event; you will not be disappointed.

Appleseed is a nationwide marksmanship training program. Project Appleseed Home

Most events are 2 days hosted at any location were we can safely shoot a min of 25m up to 500m.

Most of the shooting is done @25m with sized targets that represent a 24" target at 100, 200, 300 and 400y. We go through ~400 rounds through a standard weekend.

You will learn:
firearm safety
position shooting (standing, secondary & prone)
how to use a sling for stability
how to establish and use your Natural Point Of Aim (NPOA)
the 6 steps to taking a shot
Inches Minutes & Clicks, how to zero your rifle, adjust for range, battle sight zero, range estimation

We put your skills to the test with a 40 round Army Qualifying Test (AQT). There are a possible 250 points on the AQT; a score of 210 or better earns a rifleman patch. The AQT is timed with position and mag changes.

Throughout the weekend we tell the events of April 19th 1775 and the start of the American Revolutionary War.

Appleseed events qualify for CMP benefits (see Ironbar's new M1Garand threads)

Awesome Thanks for the info def seems worth while now I just need a rifle lol Ruger American rifle or Remington 700 in .3006 is on my wish list! Just depends what i can find when the time comes! Currently undecided as I prefer the ruger for performance reasons (adjustable trigger, and newer design) but prefer hardwood furniture (the Ruger only shows Synthetic stock on there website)

Let me tell you all. Appleseed is not for wimps.
It is also the single best shooting training you will have. And the history is invaluable too. It will challege you. Of that there is not a doubt.
Think you can shoot. Prove it. Attend Appleseed and try to get the Rifleman badge.

Can't say enough about the quality of training for what you pay. This is a great way to get the "perfect practice makes perfect" type of training. Like many here I grew up hunting, joined the military (8 years with a USMC recon Battlion) and I still learned (relearned in some cases) a lot during both Appleseeds (Oregon and California).
My two cents: If you know how to shoot, be prepared to start at THE VERY BEGINING of rifle training then progress (rapidly) to more advanced concepts. During this phase remember patience and a teachable attitude are very important. Bide your time and let your rifle speak for your talent(s) during range time.
Best of luck and have fun!

Appleseed is awesome! We did ours a few years ago in early April I believe. Cold, rainy, wet and muddy. My oldest daughter, a very 'indoor girl', who I didn't think would make it past the first break, shot the whole weekend through and really enjoyed it.

Keith

Pricing structure varies. $70 for men shooting both days assuming you don't fit into one of the special classifications like LEO or active military.

<broken link removed>

Sometimes the range adds extra cost on top of the Appleseed fees but neither of the local (Ariel or Eagle Creek) events do.

I attended a few events but I was tired of missing out on two days of work, getting up early, paying ~$80 just in entry fee's, and then competing with a bunch of people who already had the day off and got in for free...

If you're LEO or active duty then it's a bargain and a hell of a time i'm sure.
But I didnt enjoy subsidizing their weekend activities. And it seems now that the fees are going up on the first of the year, which just means more subsidizing.

Yes, men have traditionally offset the cost of women and children shooting and the costs will be going up at the first of the year.

Appleseed is 501c non profit and *all* staff are volunteers.

There has been a great deal of internal debate over the fee structure. The cost increase for next year will primarily impact women and children.

Pricing structure varies. $70 for men shooting both days assuming you don't fit into one of the special classifications like LEO or active military.

<broken link removed>

Sometimes the range adds extra cost on top of the Appleseed fees but neither of the local (Ariel or Eagle Creek) events do.

What's the philosophy behind the discount for LEOs and Military ?

Military is to help ensure that our soldiers are as equiped as they possibly can be. I suspect it's also a 'thank you' at some level.

LEO (I'm going out on a limb here so take this as my personal view and not that of the official Appleseed) is to help ensure liberty. LEO's are more likely to encounter citizens with arms and potentially be asked to take them away. We want them to really understand the history civilian arms have played in our heritage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top