JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Ruger American Ranch or Mossberg MVP?

• Ruger

• Mossberg

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tikka is skookum but doesn't take AR mags.

IMG_0768.JPG

P

Shot as a single-shot. gotcha
Pretty much... But unless you're reloading 80 gr (77g gr if you don't cut the brass, or 90 gr if you have a twist rate faster than 1/7) it won't matter.
Ironic Ruger makes a rifle in 556 that takes AR mags.....but not a mini 14.
Not enough of a market for them to invest in having them remake the Mini-14 to take AR mags, or the Mini-30 to take AK mags.

I want to get a bolt action 5.56 that will accept AR style mags. The only two I have found so far are the Ruger and the Mossberg below........ Gun will be used for a plinking & target gun, possible a truck gun, and varmint gun.

What's everyone's thoughts on these two? Any experience? or things to look for? Besides the barrel twist\iron sights; I'm not seeing a major difference other than price ...

Ruger® Ruger American Rifle® Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Model 26965

MVP Patrol Rifle | O.F. Mossberg & Sons
&
MVP Patrol Rifle - Thunder Ranch | O.F. Mossberg & Sons - little bit longer barrel

I have one of the Mossberg Varmint-Predator models with the laminated wood stock. Really like it. It will do about 3/4" at 100 yards. I shot it one day at 600 yards and was able to keep the rounds on the 30" black, but that isn't the rifles fault. First time I had tried it. Shoots the 69 gr Nosler competitions well. Yes the bolt wobbles a bit, but it doesn't bother me. Feeds fine. I have 3 AR mags and they all work Ok. Trigger is awesome. It is at about 3.5 lbs from the factory and nice and crisp: I never messed with the weight from the factory. I like the stock look too. With a tripod on the front it shoots good from prone too, but you are going to need to use the 10 round mag that comes with the rifle when you shoot from the bench, unless you use a taller bag and tripod than I do. No experience with the Rugers, but obviously a lot of people like them.

Any chance the RAR has a longer barrel option? I couldn't find one. Since they claim a one MOA out of the box, a longer barreled version should be a real tack driver. I'd like to see one outfitted with a light-weight thumb-hole stock.

The worry that's prevented me from picking up the Mossberg 5.56 MVP series of rifles that can feed from AR mags is the little metal lever that drops down from the bolt to pick up a round..Im almost certain that thing will break if I use it.

Not sure if the particular mossberg rifle you're looking at has that.. but if it does, check it out.

For that reason alone Im more drawn to the Ruger.

Excuse my pooping in your thread, but
I'm proud owner of a Tikka T3 Tactical 223 that I picked up two days ago.
I'm waiting on a torque driver to get here so I can tighten the scope ring caps!! :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top