JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I saw GAP on a license plate yesterday and wondered if they even still made it. Guess they do.
Basically it's like the 40S&W compared to the 10mm, but the GAP is loaded to higher pressures than the ACP to supposedly counter the difference of the shorter case.
I'd pass on it just because it's a pretty dead player in the market and you may have trouble finding ammo in the future. I feel it was the answer to a question nobody asked...

On paper it doesn't look like a bad cartridge. However, as far as I know, the only production handguns chambered in said are from Glock. It has had only very limited adoption by law enforcement agencies (e.g., Florida Highway Patrol and some others). And the shooting public appears to have greeted its introduction with a yawn, rather than a hallelujah.

All that said, if it works for you, why not. It may only have solid support from one manufacturer, but that one is a pretty big outfit. :)

Was the GAP designed to put a .45ACP equivalent into a 9mmP package? There have been times I would have liked to pack one of these over a full-size ACP.. Never sprang the money on one because of the proprietary nature of the cartridge and the need to reload it in order to have a shootable supply of ammo set back. Nowdays I think the .40 or even 9mmP is a better bet for "downsizing" the .45acp. IME&O YMMV!

Negative Ghost Rider. If 45 GAP were awesome, a whole lot more folks would be shooting it.

Moreover, I need another caliber like I need a hole in my head. And especially a caliber that is unpopular/uncommon...which means ammo is harder to find and more expensive when you do. Now if you reload, that may be a different story.

I too almost got one because a lgs was almost giving it away, but after a little research and a few discussions I decided it was kind of an odd round that really just never gained any popularity and probably never will. I went 10mm instead.

If it overtook the ACP in popularity/access/etc., then I would go for it, but I second what others have said.

Note: the ACP was designed to replace the .45 Colt - they made it smaller to fit into a semi-auto - so the idea is not a bad one, just not popular enough to catch on.

Now if mainstream gun makers would just start making pistols in .45 Super, or even better, .460 Rowland, that I would buy. I read somewhere that H&K makes one of their pistols that they rate to handle .45 Super? I want a SIG P227 in .45 Super or .460 Rowland and I would not mind if it was heavier (steel instead of alloy frame) or even larger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top