JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am setting up to reload for my Vaquero 45 colt.I have some 200 gr slugs and some 250? Both jacketed hollow points.
So the question is what are some of your favorite powders?
Trail boss is one I have bought. I would like to load some a little hotter than Cowboy Action loads

Thanks
Mike

So from what I have come up with,the 45colt can be loaded HOT for rugers and T/C but the cases are thinner and will not last as long. That is why with some reload data they separate the rugers and contenders.This would include the Freedom arms I'm sure
I don't think I would try to load a 45c case with as much powder as a 454 cassul. They are way above a 44mag in pressures.I'm pretty sure the case will fail. Which pushes powder out the sides of the gun and into your eyes.May not hurt the gun but the hot gasses may get to you

45 Colt: The three tiers

1: 14K - SAAMI max. Safe in all post-war / good working condition guns.
2: 21K - 45ACP SAAMI max. Safe in New Ruger Vaquero (possibly others).
3: On up... Ruger Blackhawk, Contender, etc - often noted in as Ruger / TC ONLY loads in manuals.

45 Colt case strength, or lack thereof: This has been completely debunked, there's plenty to read on the subject. Want 'stronger' 45C brass? Trim 454 down.

I own a New Vaquero, and while I've spent very little time behind the trigger, I've shot 260gr cast / coated behind Unique, 800X, & CSB-1. Loads ready for the next trip include True Blue, CFE Pistol, Clays, Bullseye, & 231.

I see little benefit to loading (for the New Vaquero in 4.6") Tier 2 (Tier 3 is NOT safe in the New Vaquero).

Now if I owned a Blackhawk it'd be an entirely different story :D

Caveat emptor: This is an internet forum - I could be drunk, a vicious liar, or just plain stupid. Get your data from known load manuals.

Jacketed;
I like Unique & IMR 4227 for Jacketed neighboring 1K + in speed

These I've used with lead sans gas check & less than 900fps;
Alliant's Unique is good.
Used a lot of Hercules Unique but it was before I had a chronograph.
Taking more of a liking to IMR4227 . not sure why other than I was gifted a bunch of it.
Red Dot a low cost fill in but messy in my opine.
I've read Blue Dot but I haven't tried it
Hercules Bulls eye
& Dupont 700X if it is still around
And Yah, there is always Black powder for those who really enjoy detail cleaning of their guns and hands plus like waiting for the cloud to disappear to see if you hit anything. I've definitely done my share but wouldn't waste a jacketed slug with it.

Best is to look in your reloading manual.
If you want a magnum, buy a magnum. If you want a .45 Colt, load it as a .45 Colt. To me, the .45 Colt is a lead bullet round, so I have little experience with jacketed bullets.

Unique
Universal

200gn JHP:
Many claim that TiteGroup is about the "most" accurate powder with 200 gn bullets. I haven't seen it, but that might be where to start.
7.0-7.5gn TG
9.0-9.3gn Universal
9.3-9.8gn Unique

250gn JHP:
Power Pistol and 3N37 are reportedly very good. Have not tested.
~9.0gn Power Pistol
~8.5gn Universal
~9.0gn Unique
~10.7gn 3N37

Don't use any load data unless verified in YOUR manuals.

Best is to look in your reloading manual.
If you want a magnum, buy a magnum. If you want a .45 Colt, load it as a .45 Colt. To me, the .45 Colt is a lead bullet round, so I have little experience with jacketed bullets.

Unique
Universal

200gn JHP:
Many claim that TiteGroup is about the "most" accurate powder with 200 gn bullets. I haven't seen it, but that might be where to start.
7.0-7.5gn TG
9.0-9.3gn Universal
9.3-9.8gn Unique

250gn JHP:
Power Pistol and 3N37 are reportedly very good. Have not tested.
~9.0gn Power Pistol
~8.5gn Universal
~9.0gn Unique
~10.7gn 3N37

Don't use any load data unless verified in YOUR manuals.
I do have 3 manuals but it's always nice to ask the reloaders on ere what their favorites are for something to try out
I don't like 44 mags and this gun came up so I will try out a few heavy loads just to have around.It will definitely not be a regular load. Nice cowboy loads or a little better will be the norm
I mean most animals,2 or 4 legged ain't gunna much like 250-300 grains hitting them not matter how fast it's going

I mean most animals,2 or 4 legged ain't gunna much like 250-300 grains hitting them not matter how fast it's going

My thoughts exactly - I figure there's a bit more to the equation than just foot lbs when you get up to the 45 cal (John Taylor's knockout formula).

260grs moving 950fps should encourage most creatures in the lower 48 to, well, experience an adverse reaction (death).

>I don't like 44 mags and this gun came up so I will try out a few heavy loads just to have around.It will definitely not be a regular load.
As long as you don't load Ruger/TC data, I am sure you are good to go.
A hot .45 Colt will feel like a .44 Mag.
A .44 Mag, loaded light, will feel like a .45.
You're the reloader--make the loads you want, as long as they are safe.
I just prefer to load down than to load up--saves wear-and-tear on the gun.

+1 for 700x.

Bulkier in the big case than Bullseye and not position sensitive.

6.0 grains under a 250ish FRN is well behaved in my Blackhawk out to nearly 75 yds.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top