JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys! I am going to pick up my .45 ACP Mauser (Awesome!) from the smith today and need to work some loads up. I was wondering if any of you guys new what bullet had the best BC as I was hoping to have a nice little deer gun. Also, any ideas on how I would find the max load for this? I was going to use .45 Super brass and specs to start with as I think I will be able to get it a little hotter than normal in the stout action. Thanks, JR

for that matter... who the h#ll is dumb enough to make a mauser .45? this idiot. I really was hoping for a bullet that would both feed better and not drop out of the sky like a damned mortar.

Well no offense but you better build something else because at the velocities your only going to achieve with a 45 acp, no matter how you load it, and being their isn't a bullet with enough bc to make it magic, your stuck with an expesive damned mortar!

Really don't think you are going to push .45acp to any very high velocities. It's a great pistol round, rifle not so much. I'm no expert but I really doubt bc comes into play much on .45acp.

Try a Hornady 250 grain FTX. They claim a .210 BC. It has the rubber tip so it probably won't fit in a magazine if your gun uses one.

<broken link removed>

Tell us more about this gun. How about some pics? Is it a Rhineland arms conversion?

<broken link removed>

yes - I almost think the developer of the .45 went to school with the guy who designed school buses. Aerodynamics is for pansies anyways.

I am certainly not going to make it scream - I just want to increase my odds. Either way, from 50 yards (I get to hunt on a private ranch... My last doe was about 10 feet away) a deer will be toast.

Its the Rhineland, and it is awesome. I just picked it up today as I had to have it drilled/tapped the bolt knob rewelded to allow a scope. I will throw some pics up tomorrow. Its pretty slick. I had Kevin (Ole's old smith) here in Salem do the work and it is top notch. Certainly beats having a mauser wasting away in the closet.

Since the .45 out of any gun is not a long range cartridge (I don't think there is a readily available .45 cartridge of any kind that is a long range cartridge), BC is the LEAST of your concerns. I would use a 200gn L-SWC or 185gn JHP loaded at max with PowerPistol or other slow powder. The RN would almost guarantee an ineffective wound channel.
Almost every reloading manual references the BC of the various bullets.

Who the heck thinks that a 0.452" jacketed bullet can't be shot in a .45 Auto? That is not true. Provided you work the load up, you can use 0.454" jacketed bullets. Besides, do you KNOW that your barrel has a 0.451" groove diameter, precisely, and that a jacketed bullet should be the same diameter as the groove diameter for best accuracy?
Back when I started reloading, .45 Colt used a 0.454" jacketed bullets (if anyone spent the money for a jacketed bullet for a cast bullet cartridge) and .45 Auto used 0.451-0.452" jacketed bullets and 0.452-0.454" cast bullets? Even Hornady combines .355, .356, and .357" bullets of 121-125gn with the same loading data for 9x19 and .38 Super. Guns just are not sensitive to 0.001" of bullet diameter.

I have one of these (super heavy barrel) that takes 1911 mags and it's not very accurate. There's also a manual of operation that goes like this.. extract fast and feed slow

Have 10 rd Chip McCormick mags set up for it, had to clip off much of the springs because they were too stiff, and can only load 5 rds or feed issues arise

The chamber seems either out of spec or my handloads are too weak because I'm getting some chamber blowby, this my explain the inaccuracy

My plan is to load up (gradually) much hotter loads with a heavy 45 LC type bullet (or a 454) and see if I get better sealing. if you do this be sure to put warnings on your ammo boxes in case you cash it in and some poor slob tries to load them into a 1911

The biggest issue with heavier bullets is OAL for the 1911 mags. I may just end up slugging the barrel and having a custom mold made up for hard cast lead

These guns are at most 100 yard weapons IMO, mine has a threaded muzzle so I can suppress it some day

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top