JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So a boy is killed and the gun he used "belonged" to a convicted felon*...yet...
My guns , which I or anyone else** have never used or misused to harm anyone ...need to be secure or I will be facing a fine if I lived in Seattle...

I am sad that a 4 year old is dead.
To be blunt however...that is not my fault or the fault of any other gun owner.
Andy

* I thought is was against the law for a convicted felon to own or be in possession of a firearm...?
** Some of my firearms are 100 -200 odd years old....I can not vouch for their use or misuse before I owned them...:D

This is a terribly sad story, that an innocent 4YO is dead because of his POS father. But there is no argument for gun control to be found here. In fact, this is a bad story for them to be spreading because it makes a point counter to their intent - that gun control laws DO NOT WORK. Convicted felon has a gun. Yeah, big win for gun control. And expecting to pass a law for safe storage, so the convicted felon will suddenly follow another law he's just going to break? How deluded do you have to be?

Anyone that brings this story up to you in defense of gun control, make sure you point out the fact that gun control FAILED here. Remind them too that bad guys don't follow the laws - no matter how many you make.

So, if a person is found to be grossly negligent of not properly securing firearms then they should be charged. "Hiding" a loaded firearm under a sofa? Where a kid can't find it? Sure! Doesn't qualify as proper storage!

To this day I can remember finding a really neat toy gun in my sister's boyfriends car. They left their doors open and went into the house. AND there was the neatest gun just laying there on the floor. I picked it up to play with it and took it in the house to show everyone what I found. I remember some sort of people explosion, yelling and such as someone ripped it from my hands. I also remember my folks and older siblings verbally jumping all over the boyfriend but not too much after that. That was 3/4 of a century ago. I was about 3 or 4 years old.

So in this case "properly storing" probably would have saved a life.
My problem with storage law is this I have no children to store them from.every adult is qualified to use the guns if necessary. So a loaded gun in my house has no real potential for harm.now some people say that if someone broke in they could use the guns ,but that to me is just passing the buck ... If I lock my house with guns out that is secure .even if you use the factory locks it's not like it's impossible to remove them. Yes putting all your guns in a good safe keep em from being stole and from wrong hands but shouldn't we be able to have a gun or 2 or3 out for self defense or how about just because I want to. People who will misuse guns are going to do it no matter what law you throw at them. Common sense goes a long way . Stupid parents should not mean all gun owners have another useless law thrown at them.

im sure I'll get some heat for this comment but our society loves to pass responsibility from criminals to the rest of us

So in this case "properly storing" probably would have saved a life.
My problem with storage law is this I have no children to store them from.every adult is qualified to use the guns if necessary. So a loaded gun in my house has no real potential for harm.now some people say that if someone broke in they could use the guns ,but that to me is just passing the buck ... If I lock my house with guns out that is secure .even if you use the factory locks it's not like it's impossible to remove them. Yes putting all your guns in a good safe keep em from being stole and from wrong hands but shouldn't we be able to have a gun or 2 or3 out for self defense or how about just because I want to. People who will misuse guns are going to do it no matter what law you throw at them. Common sense goes a long way . Stupid parents should not mean all gun owners have another useless law thrown at them.

im sure I'll get some heat for this comment but our society loves to pass responsibility from criminals to the rest of us

I wouldn't consider it "Heat". I'll say, for ME, I'll always have my guns locked up. Unless I'm using them, or in the house with them. I will not be the one that makes a report to the police about stolen guns that were not locked up. If you have you're house broken into and have guns that aren't locked up then you need to own that you maybe could have prevented your fire arm(s) getting into those hands that may kill/maim someone. When the news gets on stories like that little kid dying, under those circumstances, it cast a shadow over ALL fire arms owners.

Glad to see that the BGC really did it's job/sarc.
Now the Proggies will say, "well since the existing preventive measures in place obviously don't work, we need to go to full confiscation".

My guns are always locked up too. The point of this is that a CONVICTED FELON hid a firearm under a couch and his 4 year old found it and died. Yet at the end of the story they talk about safe storage and kind of pass by the fact that there shouldn't have been a gun in the house to store in the first place! So much for them gun laws eh?

My guns are always locked up too. The point of this is that a CONVICTED FELON hid a firearm under a couch and his 4 year old found it and died. Yet at the end of the story they talk about safe storage and kind of pass by the fact that there shouldn't have been a gun in the house to store in the first place! So much for them gun laws eh?

Would you really expect anything else from them? I just don't bother even mentioning such things around here. It would be nice if those points could be taken to heart by the anti 2nd people. But.....

Would you really expect anything else from them? I just don't bother even mentioning such things around here. It would be nice if those points taken to heart by the anti 2nd people. But.....

Very true....

Lock up your kitchen knives and put safety covers on your stove controls....:rolleyes:.

Start teaching your kids not to touch things that hurt them and don't leave a dang gun in your couch.

The stupid here is of epic proportions:confused:

...... If you have you're house broken into and have guns that aren't locked up then you need to own that you maybe could have prevented your fire arm(s) getting into those hands that may kill/maim someone. ....
If my house is broken into? Ok, what if then my bedroom is broken into? Then what if my safe is broken into? What if I then have a trigger lock on my now stolen gun? And then, what if they manage to remove the trigger lock and shoot someone? Would it STILL be my fault?

Seems to me, a gun locked up in my house IS locked up as far as anyone not invited to or living on the premises is concerned. The crime starts when a burglar trespasses onto my property.

How about we start placing total and sole responsibility for crime on the actual perp and no one else.

That said, I do advocate for gun safes for multiple layers of security. I'm just against blaming someone with no safe (for whatever reason) for a crime committed by someone else.

I'm psychic. I had a vision of the story before I reluctantly read it.

My other premonition is the system is working exactly as designed. A prohibited person has 'one of their guns' found by a toddler. Background checks and the courts/probation department we not doing what they are funded to do. The parents are idiots and do what idiots do.

Well the DA gets another conviction so looks like there is potential judge in the offering. Probably an anti gun judge at that.

Should parents choose to exercise sound judgement when owning firearms and having children / others in the same vicinity, yes!

Should the government dictate how people must comport themselves in their own house while not engaged in criminal behavior, no!

Gun control failure here 101, prohibited person was in possession.

Beyond that, there is no litmus test for procreation, in fact, currently in our society, the very least educated and arguably 'dumbest' people in this country procreate at a much higher rate than more educated individuals or individuals who regularly exercise sound judgement and responsibility.

When you combine dumb people with guns, these things happen more frequently.

How about we start placing total and sole responsibility for crime on the actual perp and no one else.

That said, I do advocate for gun safes for multiple layers of security. I'm just against blaming someone with no safe (for whatever reason) for a crime committed by someone else.

Given enough time any safe can be broken into. Specifically Oregon's law to not be able to loan guns ensure guns are left unsafe when people vacation or are known to be away and can no longer secure their firearms in a friends or relatives safe. We were out of town for a week and it was heavy on my mind.

The notion that a gun owner having their home broken into and guns stolen and that being the homeowners fault parallels the notion that a woman raped in her home from a home invasion is some how responsible for the attack.

Crazy right?

But that is the concept being exhibited by holding people responsible who have been the victim of a home invasion / burglary and not the perpetrator.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top