JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Laser propelled bullets.... using mirror smooth bore tube... Basically between a rail gun and a phaser ;) think of this but with a mirror smooth bore and scaled much farther down https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightcraft
:) I have seen the early research videos. You could just use the laser to ignite the target first. You couldn't carry the power source to do this in an atmosphere or with gravity.

:) I have seen the early research videos. You could just use the laser to ignite the target first. You couldn't carry the power source to do this in an atmosphere or with gravity.
The thing is that the laser literally heats and explode the air on the specially shaped amd polished end of the Lightcraft, it might not do anything to anything else? If one could get the same Level of energy to propel a dart or projectile using laser, microwave (maser), or even plasma (superheated gas, not blood plasma :s0140: ) , then it might be a viable option to a firearm without needing gunpowder and primer? Probably will still have a recoil and the requirement for containing the pressures... on the other hand, I know of technology being worked on miniaturization of literal electromagnetic rail guns.....

The thing is that the laser literally heats and explode the air on the specially shaped amd polished end of the Lightcraft, it might not do anything to anything else? If one could get the same Level of energy to propel a dart or projectile using laser, microwave (maser), or even plasma (superheated gas, not blood plasma :s0140: ) , then it might be a viable option to a firearm without needing gunpowder and primer? Probably will still have a recoil and the requirement for containing the pressures... on the other hand, I know of technology being worked on miniaturization of literal electromagnetic rail guns.
Ohh I get it. It sounds wicked with all of the micro explosions that was shot straight up in the videos for the little flying saucer versions I saw. It had no barrel. I just don't think you can get a high enough powered laser handheld to produce the power required to atomize the surface of a highly conductive metal surface. A laser cutter is usually in the kilowatt range to cut through metal and those fiber units aren't very portable and run on 240 power with 20 amp service. It was also done in a series of bursts and if it was in a confined barrel the gas from the first blast would interrupt the following blasts. You kind of need that barrel to aim though for anything other than straight up and multiple explosions. I guess that goes towards the rails? Hmmm.

Now for brainstorming I did see someone make a gun by using capacitors where they reversed the polarity on a capacitor as a gas source. Not a ton of energy there though.

Rail guns are where the military is putting it's money for ships with a nuclear reactor. The other is a direct laser such as what is being used by Israel's Iron Dome.

It is an idea. The biggest hurdle is in getting that much energy potential that simple gunpowder have.

There is a guy who goes by the name of Hacksmith or something like that, he basically made a sword length plasma cutter with a portable power source that kinda resembles comics depiction of "proto lightsabers"

It is an idea. The biggest hurdle is in getting that much energy potential that simple gunpowder have.

There is a guy who goes by the name of Hacksmith or something like that, he basically made a sword length plasma cutter with a portable power source that kinda resembles comics depiction of "proto lightsabers"
His latest version was a very focused propane and oxygen torch flame I believe.

There are other explosives that could be used but single base Nitrocellulose ones are pretty cheap and easy to make just look up gun cotton. I think some common powders are single based today such as some of the cowboy powders but don't quote me. The double base nitroglycerin process gets a bit dangerous though :). Primers can also be replicated but this takes money and time and is dangerous for mass production.

Remington probably was on to something with the electro primers that had a resistor inside that would heat up to ignite the cartridge. Dropping primers right now would certainly help I would imagine in quality the electric ones would be cheaper to produce.

Hydroxylammonium nitrate

188575-page-001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews