JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kahr .380 is a good choice, probably the most expensive of the bunch though. Ruger LCP is small and cost isn't bad, quite a firecracker to shoot. CZ 82/83 is a good price and quality is good, just bigger and heavier. Guess it depends how you want to carry one or how deep of concealment you want. There are many choices, read all you can and go to some gun shops and pick some up and see how they feel. Pick what is right for you and your needs.

I have an lcp without a laser sight and for defensive ranges and ease of carry hands down the best lil gun I've had. I carry on my ankle along with my G23 when going to the store late in the hood ;)

I have an lcp without a laser sight and for defensive ranges and ease of carry hands down the best lil gun I've had. I carry on my ankle along with my G23 when going to the store late in the hood ;)

My backup/2nd gun is a Star Firestar 9MM but the .380 is one **** of a lot better than no second gun and might just save your life one day

I guess I'm the only holdout for the ppk. I have an interarms ppk/s. It's very accurate-fixed barrel, and totally reliable-6 different types of ball and hp. I've heard some negative things about the s&w ppks but my german made one is functioning fine. There are several ppk/s models for sale right now, not sure why. If I had the cash I'd pick up another. Very well worth the money.
My .02 .

No magnum, you're not the only holdout. I'm one too. In fact, I thought ppk's and ppk/s's would be all over this thread. Are we getting old?

I carried one for years as my backup. Next to no maintenance and it still looks and shoots like new.

But the wife is never without one of her P-238's

Just my :s0159:

For me personally I have carried a SIG 229 (.40) as a duty weapon With a Seecamp 32 as my backup. I used to have a KelTec P3AT that I carried as a back up or as an EDC. I know that there are a lot of good working P3AT's out there but the one i had shook my confidence in the particular one i had. I had to send it back to KelTec twice and the second time they replaced the whole top end. I put several rounds through it to verify that is functioned 100% and then sold it. My confidence was gone in that specific gun but i did not want to sell it to anyone else w/o honestly knowing that it functioned 100%. I am thinking about the Ruger LCP since it is basicly the same as a P3AT in dimensions.There is another couple of choices, the Seecamp 32 or 380.

I also enjoy carrying for EDC lately a Hungarian PA 63 in 9mm Makarov. It is basicly a "poor man's" Walther. All i have done is put in a Wolf's spring kit and replaced the mag springs with Wolf also. It functioned a 100% before the springs swap but the big reason was the more pleasant trigger pull with the new springs. For me it is a great little pocket gun, lightweight, reliable, cheap to practice with.

fd:
"I also enjoy carrying for EDC lately a Hungarian PA 63 in 9mm Makarov. It is basicly a "poor man's" Walther."
I have an Imez IJ-70 Makarov in .380acp, and feel the same way about it. I paid $125 for it about 15 years ago. Great deal for a great little pistol. It is fun to shoot, and it is my loaner pistol when the need arises.

I LOVE my P238. As someone else pointed out, useable night sites. Familiar (to some) 1911 controls (except the slide is NOT locked from being cycled with the safety on, if hammer is back). After testing out the LCP (grip too small/narrow for me), Bersa (too big a gun to justify it only being a 380), Sig P232 (same as Bersa, plus I'm not a fan of the Euro mag release), and Bodyguard (narrow grip and laser activation was a PITA), I found the P238 to be just about perfect (perfect would have been to have it in a 9mm, or to have it with a DA/SA setup like most other Sigs). Add the 7-round mag with pinky extension (mine came with one of each) and it fits my hand incredibly, hides easily, and is extremely nimble.

I've gone down this same road recently... I love the Sig product, and when I held the P238, I was instantly a mental owner. But since this next firearm is to be a primary carry, I was concerned about the fact that it is a .380. I really don't want to go lower than 9mm for a primary carry piece. I like the size and the feel of the P238...

Here's what I found;
P238;
5.5" long
3.9" high
1" (+-) wide
15.2 oz (empty)
2.7" barrel
SAO
6 rounds
7.5-8.5 lbs trigger pull.
Beautiful;
P238-Eq-detail.jpg

There are now two other choices IN 9mm that are the EXACT same size as the P238;
Sig P290 9mm; I have not yet held one... my gut says it'll feel like the Glock 27, and thats not a good thing for me. Same dimensions as the P238, double action only, polymer frame, 20.5 oz.
P290-detail-Right.jpg

Enter the Kimber Solo 9mm; Again...5.5 long, 3.9 high, 1" wide, 2.7" barrel, single action only, aluminum frame, SS slide, 6 rounds, 7 lb trigger pull (like butter!) and 17.2 oz. I'm pretty sure this will be my next pistol.
solo.png

I've gone down this same road recently... I love the Sig product, and when I held the P238, I was instantly a mental owner. But since this next firearm is to be a primary carry, I was concerned about the fact that it is a .380. I really don't want to go lower than 9mm for a primary carry piece. I like the size and the feel of the P238...

Here's what I found;
P238;
5.5" long
3.9" high
1" (+-) wide
15.2 oz (empty)
2.7" barrel
SAO
6 rounds
Beautiful;
P238-Eq-detail.jpg

There are now two other choices IN 9mm that are the EXACT same size as the P238;
Sig P290 9mm; I have not yet held one... my gut says it'll feel like the Glock 27, and thats not a good thing for me. Same dimensions as the P238, double action only, polymer frame, 20.5 oz.
P290-detail-Right.jpg

Enter the Kimber Solo 9mm; Again...5.5 long, 3.9 high, 1" wide, 2.7" barrel, single action only, aluminum frame, SS slide, 6 rounds, 7 lb trigger pull (like butter!) and 17.2 oz. I'm pretty sure this will be my next pistol.
solo.png

Not to rain on your parade but there is no chance that they are the EXACT same size. Similar possibly, but exact no chance.

ETA: I am considering a Kimber Solo for my personal use too.

Not to rain on your parade but there is no chance that they are the EXACT same size. Similar possibly, but exact no chance.

ETA: I am considering a Kimber Solo for my personal use too.

Ok... Maybe "Exact" is a bit too specific.. They are both 5.5 X 3.9 X 1". The Solo is actually just a smidge narrower... or was it the P238... crap, I can't remember now..
I held the P238 and the Solo back to back. I had a tape measure handy as well.. The respective websites list the dimensions as well, but I had to check for myself.
Like I said... I have not seen a P290 in person just yet, but the Solo and the P238 are most definitely the same size. Feel free to look 'em up.:D

Ok... Maybe "Exact" is a bit too specific.. They are both 5.5 X 3.9 X 1". The Solo is actually just a smidge narrower... or was it the P238... crap, I can't remember now..
I held the P238 and the Solo back to back. I had a tape measure handy as well.. The respective websites list the dimensions as well, but I had to check for myself.
Like I said... I have not seen a P290 in person just yet, but the Solo and the P238 are most definitely the same size. Feel free to look 'em up.:D

Just messing with you. The biggest difference will probably be in the grip length and slide width. Where Sig says the width is 1", the slide is only 3/4" but the controls add to that dimension. Where the Solo and P290 slides will probably be actually 1", probably won't make much difference though.

The Solo is supposed to be really nice, but I have heard that there may be issues with the safety being hard to engage or disengage.

I love my LCP. Shoots well enough at threat range, disappears when wearing jeans, sweats, cargo shorts, pretty much anything. I never am tempted to leave it at home. Unlike others I do consider .380 sufficient as a primary carry piece. Sure beats throwing a rock! Plus Ruger's customer service is top notch if you ever need them.
Chris

Here's what I found;
P238;
5.5" long
3.9" high
1" (+-) wide
15.2 oz (empty)
2.7" barrel
SAO
6 rounds
Beautiful;
P238-Eq-detail.jpg

P290-detail-Right.jpg

solo.png

Man I love those pistols and all but look at the weight on those puppies. I am just saying, yeah you could pack it and yes you might intimidate someone enough to where you wouldn't have to plug em with a few rounds to let em know this firearm is not a joke ie (LCP) haha, but dang if its me give me a few more inches more cap a little more weight and give me my G23. I have looked at sub kimbers (because they are gorgeous) sigs (badass) and went with a LCP because of the size, but the gun looks like a toy. Thats all I can say bad about it though after 150 rounds dtp, and forget I carry it half the time, always with me, unlike other weapons that I own.

That Kimber Solo is looking real sweet. With it being in the same price range as the the Kahr PM9, its ALMOST an easy decision. Biggest advantage to the PM9 is that its slightly thinner with a longer barrel. It also has been out for awhile so it has gone through the beta testing phase.

I'm curious to see how the Kimber Solo stacks up against the competition. Haven't been able to find any really good reviews on it.

BTW: If anyone in Portland finds a shop carrying the Kimber Solo let a brotha know.

I think that the 20.5 oz weight he listed for the P290 is a LOADED weight, which is pretty good for a 9mm gun. I would also note that the Kimber Solo is a striker fired gun, the P290 is a DAO, and the P238 is a single action. VERY different guns in operation depending on what you are used to.

I like the feel and operation of Kel Tec's guns, they do require some work to be a 100% reliable carry gun but once you get them to that point they are awesome. They are NOT range guns though... Kel Tec has unofficially said they expect a 6000 round lifespan out of their guns. That's just fine for an EDC gun for me and I'll be adding a P-3at to my collection in the next few months. I need something that can be comfortable in my pocket since my PF-9 is too much for my jean pockets.

I think I'm going to pick up a S&W Bodyguard once Nick gets some more at Brightwater. It is small enough for pocket carry, the price point is low, and it includes the laser standard. I owned a post recall Ruger LCP last year but just couldn't force myself to like the little guy so I shifted it to a more loving owner. As un American as it sounds, the LCP was my first Ruger firearm and probably my last.

I picked my new S&W Bodyguard up from Nick today. They are almost $100 less than the LCP-CT @ $359! I can't wait to get it up to the range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top