JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get a .380 auto for concealed carry. I've been reading good things about all these guns, I just want to feel confident about my purchase. handguns that are in my crosshairs are:

sig p232
walther ppk
micro eagle
lcp
bersa thunder

the price for me isnt the biggest factor.

I'm looking to get a .380 auto for concealed carry. I've been reading good things about all these guns, I just want to feel confident about my purchase. handguns that are in my crosshairs are:

sig p232
walther ppk
micro eagle
lcp
bersa thunder

I looked at these and others, here's what I decided. The SIG P232, Walther PPK, and Bersa Thunder are all around the size of a Kahr CW9. The LCP (which I ended up buying) was a P.I.T.A. to shoot. And all 5 are .380 which is harder to find a decent selection of S.D. ammo as well as more expensive practice ammo when compared to 9mm.

I looked at two "pocket" .380s recently. I was after a polymer framed gun and I looked at the LCP and the Taurus TCP. I liked the way that TCP fit my hand. There was just a little more to hang onto than the Ruger. Personally, I really like Rugers and wanted to like it better than the Taurus, but it just wasn't to be. I bought the TCP. Since then I bought another TCP. Neither one of these has given us a single round of trouble.
To top it off, they are not expensive either, especially when you consider that they come with 2 mags and a carry case.

I looked at two "pocket" .380s recently. I was after a polymer framed gun and I looked at the LCP and the Taurus TCP. I liked the way that TCP fit my hand. There was just a little more to hang onto than the Ruger. Personally, I really like Rugers and wanted to like it better than the Taurus, but it just wasn't to be. I bought the TCP. Since then I bought another TCP. Neither one of these has given us a single round of trouble.
To top it off, they are not expensive either, especially when you consider that they come with 2 mags and a carry case.

Plus it is the first Taurus made in the USA. I have one also, no problems at all, and light enough to pocket carry all day. I also found the grip to be more comfortable than my buddy's P3AT.

If you look around on Gunbroker, you can get a new stainless slide model for around $250 + FFL. I got mine for $240 with Free s/h + $20 FFL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

I was looking at both the LCP and TCP. I ended up going with the the TCP. They are both very similar except the slide on the TCP stays open when the last round is fired, the LCP does not. I personally want that on all my semi's. I have shot Golden Sabers (which I usually carry in it) to Federal to cheap plinking Blazers and have not had one problem.

Also might hold a CZ 83 [Keith's] I've got 400+rnds down with no malfunctions of any kind,all steel. Or a 9MM in the 75 Alloy Compact ie. PCR Wt. approx. 27oz. Good Luck

I have currently or have owned the following:

Bersa 380
Taurus TCP
Kel Tec P3AT
Browning BDA
Sig 230
Sig 238

Of these the only one that gave me trouble was the Kel Tec with the guide rod popping out the front of the slide. For a pistol on the small end, I would go with either the TCP or SIG 238 (very sweet trigger and usable sights). On the larger end, the Bersa is no slouch and can stack up against the 232 without any problem. The difference is cost could go towards laser grips and ammo, etc..

you might also want to check out S&W's "bodyguard". It's like a mini M&P with a built in laser, last round hold open and release lever, decent sights, runs about $359

that bodyguard looks great. i haven't even considered one, so ill have to do some homework on that.

@NoEcm and PBinWA. I like the Kahrs too. I can't seem to find one for less than 600 for a PM9 or MK9.
CDNN sells the Sig 232 in stainless for around 400 which is alittle more reasonable.

I guess I'm the only holdout for the ppk. I have an interarms ppk/s. It's very accurate-fixed barrel, and totally reliable-6 different types of ball and hp. I've heard some negative things about the s&w ppks but my german made one is functioning fine. There are several ppk/s models for sale right now, not sure why. If I had the cash I'd pick up another. Very well worth the money.
My .02 .

sig p232
walther ppk
micro eagle
lcp
bersa thunder

If you can not go with the best, 45 acp. Then with the Walther ppk, go with 9mm. There are alot of small light 45 acp pistols out there. 308? you be better off with .22lr CCI stingers.

I LOVE my P238. As someone else pointed out, useable night sites. Familiar (to some) 1911 controls (except the slide is NOT locked from being cycled with the safety on, if hammer is back). After testing out the LCP (grip too small/narrow for me), Bersa (too big a gun to justify it only being a 380), Sig P232 (same as Bersa, plus I'm not a fan of the Euro mag release), and Bodyguard (narrow grip and laser activation was a PITA), I found the P238 to be just about perfect (perfect would have been to have it in a 9mm, or to have it with a DA/SA setup like most other Sigs). Add the 7-round mag with pinky extension (mine came with one of each) and it fits my hand incredibly, hides easily, and is extremely nimble.

The Bodyguard just has way too many levers and safeties for me.. it's bulky. I am looking at boot/3rd handguns for the wife and I and have narrowed it down to the LCP or the Hellcat .380 (I would have gone with the SIG Colt-copy SA but she needs a DAO)

<broken link removed>
Ruger's New LCP Lightweight .380 Pocket Pistol

YouTube - Gunblast.com - Hellcat 380 ACP Pocket Auto from I.O., Inc.

disassembly lever, slide release and safety... so one more than the LCR then.......it's also not at all bulky.

If levers panic you, then there's the mini "glock" Diamondback...

If you can not go with the best, 45 acp. Then with the Walther ppk, go with 9mm. There are alot of small light 45 acp pistols out there. 308? you be better off with .22lr CCI stingers.

Marshall and Sanow indicate .22 Stingers @ 35% stopping power with one torso hit

Same study indicates .380 @ 60% one shot stops

I would never carry either as a primary, or even a secondary. our sole interest in these little guns is as semi auto derringers, last ditch hideouts

My wife's EDC is the Bodyguard .380 and loves it! I want one too. I looked hard and almost picked up the Ruger which is slimmer by a smidge and the DB 380(read about to many failures, but love the look and feel of the DB), it's 'bout the same size as the BG. For us, the integrated laser and looks at that price can't be beat. No failures yet.

Now with that said. I may pick up the sig 238 in the future too. Especially the new SIG Lady for the wifey.

<broken link removed>

I usually carry a S&W M&P 40c and S&W 360 .357 loads, when fishing XDM .45 in my waders. My wife carries a Glock 27 in the woods and fishing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top