JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
I went up there yesterday midday and it was just me and another gentleman. I agree with previous posts about the place being small. Thankfully since it was just the two of us I got to put a box of ammo through my AR. Definitely quite a bit of trash, filled a bag on my way out. The place will work in a pinch though.

Was at 36 Pit today, still going strong even amidst this coronadrama. Arrived around 2pm, only myself and one other gent who was picking up. Had a decent rotation of people by 4pm, never more than a dozen people or so.

Gotta say, met two lads who who were very cordial and offered me a go on their AR and 9mm. I'm loving the culture there, I've spent a bit of time at 36 Pit now and meet great people every time. If by any chance you fellows are on this forum, shoot me a message, I'd love to catch up and shoot the bubblegum again.

Hope everyone else had a great day.

Was there yesterday for about an hour. I only had one garbage bag and it didnt even make a dent, place is getting pretty trashed, im going back up some time next week and im bringing more garbage bags, this place needs some help.

Anyone heading out there today? I'm a relatively new shooter and want to put some rounds through my Glock 29 and my new AR-15.

Edit: Well looking at the map this looks pretty straightforward getting there and using the area. Gonna go build a target stand real quick, then grab some trash bags and head out there.

How difficult is it to get there? What's the "attendance" like? I've never been there but need a place to go to or I'll go crazy here :)

How difficult is it to get there? What's the "attendance" like? I've never been there but need a place to go to or I'll go crazy here :)

It's really easy to get to. If you look on the map you'll see its right on the highway. Only about 50yard walk from where you park to where you can shoot.

The place is small. I got lucky last I went as it was just me and one other guy the entire time. I can see how if it's busy things could get tight. There are good backstops, but no defined lanes to shoot.

I'm going to try Sunday morning and see what it's like on a weekend.

Its on the left about a mile or so after memaloose bridge, it can be pretty busy there and its a pretty small area so i recomend weekdays and early morning if possible

Was there yesterday for about an hour. I only had one garbage bag and it didnt even make a dent, place is getting pretty trashed, im going back up some time next week and im bringing more garbage bags, this place needs some help.

I was up there for the first time the other week, so I don't have a point of reference, but it seemed pretty trashed to me. I filled a bag myself and it felt like I did nothing.

Probably need a large group of folks to clean that place up.

It pisses me off that we have such self centered individuals that would just leave behind all of their trash knowing good and well that someone else has to clean it up. Also knowing it shines a negative light on a positive community. Shame on these people, if you know someone doing this call them out to clean up their mess.

Does any one have a brass magnet sweeper I can use for this wed or next gonna go out and figured I collect a little bit to do my part I'll give the person who loans it to me the brass! Also is there a spot where I can leave the bagged up garbage for the forest service to pick up?

Does any one have a brass magnet sweeper I can use for this wed or next gonna go out and figured I collect a little bit to do my part I'll give the person who loans it to me the brass! Also is there a spot where I can leave the bagged up garbage for the forest service to pick up?

I don't know where to leave the garbage, I always haul mine out and handle it on my own. As for brass, you might not get a lot. There is an older gentleman who regularly comes up there and collects the brass as well as some "other" folk who so the same. There is still brass there, just might not be as much as you would expect.

Yeah, brass is the least of our problems up there. (A magnet sweeper doesn't pick up brass anyway... only metal stuff). Better to take a magnet for getting shotgun hulls and steel casings! No one ever picks up hulls or steel casings. They only want the brass (and there's a lot of people just out hunting for brass). Meanwhile, the hulls, plastics and other trash accumulate.

I doubt anyone from USFS would stop and pick up the bags. They are overloaded with trying to reopen the forest. They don't normally go around and pick up the bags anyway, so, the bags would just sit there and get torn up by others looking for something to shoot.

Since we can't do group cleanups yet, we have to rely on everyone doing their part to take out what they can and cover the disposal cost as part of their contribution like @wollzy does.

Yeah, brass is the least of our problems up there. (A magnet sweeper doesn't pick up brass anyway... only metal stuff). Better to take a magnet for getting shotgun hulls and steel casings! No one ever picks up hulls or steel casings. They only want the brass (and there's a lot of people just out hunting for brass). Meanwhile, the hulls, plastics and other trash accumulate.

I doubt anyone from USFS would stop and pick up the bags. They are overloaded with trying to reopen the forest. They don't normally go around and pick up the bags anyway, so, the bags would just sit there and get torn up by others looking for something to shoot.

Since we can't do group cleanups yet, we have to rely on everyone doing their part to take out what they can and cover the disposal cost as part of their contribution like @wollzy does.

Harbor freight sells brass sweepers for like 8 dollars - highly recommend. I plan on going out there to clean early next week too. Divide and conquer my friend!!

I know it's a wild idea, and I'm not sure of the liabilities behind it .... but (hypothetically cost aside for now) if there were some kind of more 'long term' targets set up at the pit, do you think people would use them and stop bringing stupid things that leave debris everywhere? Even just a few 1/2" steel gongs set up at distance? Or would they just get blown to smithereens on the first day and become part of the mess?

I know sometimes, I wish there was a few things to shoot up at a longer distance up the incline in the east direction.

I know it's a wild idea, and I'm not sure of the liabilities behind it .... but (hypothetically cost aside for now) if there were some kind of more 'long term' targets set up at the pit, do you think people would use them and stop bringing stupid things that leave debris everywhere? Even just a few 1/2" steel gongs set up at distance? Or would they just get blown to smithereens on the first day and become part of the mess?

I know sometimes, I wish there was a few things to shoot up at a longer distance up the incline in the east direction.

Judging by some of the people who come through, and their disregard for safety, I don't think the steel would last more than a day. It would likely get shot to hell by rounds that too large of caliber at a short distance or stolen almost immediately. I also imagine their may be a liability issue if they get pitted and someone gets injured by one...assuming people knew who set them up. I also don't think it would stop people from shooting glass bottles and TVs up there. I like where your head is at though.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.