JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
7-11-20 Mt Hood NF 36 Pit Info Cntr 1.jpg

Mt Hood National Forest, Estacada, Hwy 224 to reopen May 1st!!!

According to ODOT, they plan to open Hwy 224, East of Estacada, to the public on May 1st, HOWEVER, some types of recreation will still be restricted. Included in those restriction types, is recreational target shooting.

This means NO SHOOTING at the 36 PIT or the Fish Creek areas, nor any place in between or a few miles there after.

The reasons being; public safety issues, trees being shot down and trash left behind.

In one way the fire has caused unsafe conditions, but in another way (more realistic way), too many irresponsible shooters have caused enough damage, left a lot of trash and shot in unsafe directions (no backstops) to justify closing it.

This is another reason why we need more responsible shooters out there demonstrating how recreational target shooting should be done. That means using a high earthen berm backstop, no targets on trees/stumps/logs, and directing the line-of-fire in safe directions.
So for now, and a while, don't plan on shooting up the Clackamas River area along Hwy 224. It will be closed to target shooting.

View attachment 1172045

According to ODOT, they plan to open Hwy 224, East of Estacada, to the public on May 1st, HOWEVER, some types of recreation will still be restricted. Included in those restriction types, is recreational target shooting.

This means NO SHOOTING at the 36 PIT or the Fish Creek areas, nor any place in between or a few miles there after.

The reasons being; public safety issues, trees being shot down and trash left behind.

In one way the fire has caused unsafe conditions, but in another way (more realistic way), too many irresponsible shooters have caused enough damage, left a lot of trash and shot in unsafe directions (no backstops) to justify closing it.

This is another reason why we need more responsible shooters out there demonstrating how recreational target shooting should be done. That means using a high earthen berm backstop, no targets on trees/stumps/logs, and directing the line-of-fire in safe directions.
So for now, and a while, don't plan on shooting up the Clackamas River area along Hwy 224. It will be closed to target shooting.
So much for a range that didnt involve an all day trip

View attachment 1172045

This sounds like the feds just banned target shooting on THE PUBLIC'S land completely. Apparently Bill, you and your volunteers work here doesn't mean squat to them! Bastards!

Bummer. I can't see why people have to trash these places.

Last time I went to Wolf Creek some a@*ho!e left an 8 x 10 rug out there in the wet mud. Nasty, big and wet enough that no one without a few extra hours, a big truck, a good friend and a good heart would consider dealing with it.

I learned it was selfish and s#@t#y to litter by the time I was five. Who are these people? And if you've justified you have to litter bc you can't afford dump fees and you're really going to litter, why do it where you shoot?

The forest service has always put up with the trash, as we all sort of had, because eventually it would get cleaned up. You'd think shooting down trees would have stopped it long ago, but they've put up with that for a long time too. Nobody likes seeing it and everyone feels a sense of outrage about it. The volume of trash and destruction becomes so overwhelming that all you can do is shake your head, do what you came to do and walk away. After that, it's out-of-site and out-of-mind. The individual cost, effort, manpower and logistics are too much to deal with. It takes planning, organizing and recruiting to get it cleaned up and not many want to take on that much of an effort.

The part that gets places closed is when public safety is at risk. At the 36 pit, people have been shooting in the direction of the highway and over the river. That's a problem and it must stop. The quickest and easiest way to stop it is to close it.

The way I see it is; if you have such a problem, try to find solutions and work out a plan of action. Solutions can often be trial and error, but usually are movements in the right direction and improvements are made.

In the case of the 36 pit, (which could be a real safe place to shoot for all), several things could be done to improve public safety. Things like establish a firing line so it's obvious where you'll be shooting from and what direction you'll be shooting in. Take out the mound of dirt & rocks that face the highway & river so people don't get the idea to shoot in that direction because there's no backstop. Mound up some tall piles of dirt on the sides to help curtail the shooting of trees. Provide a different access into the pit so people aren't walking around the corner into the line of fire.

But the forest agency needs to be willing to address the idea of improvements. Apparently, they don't want to do that, or perhaps their higher-ups won't allow them to touch it. So, it seems we are at an impasse.

I'll keep working to try and change that mind set because this place, as well as others, could be perfectly good and safe for recreational shooting. Maybe we can get it back someday.

Bill

Cogs summed that up.
For one or two people it's fine, I had Monday's off so went in the morning.

I went once on the weekend and after 9 or so people are setting up and shooting in all different directions.
Climbing over/sliding down the hill to avoid the people at the bottom sucked.
People shooting at a log 10 ft past the gate.
I'm surprised it wasn't shut down long ago.

Well that sucks. Always a convenient spot for me to go to and I always left with a bag of picked up trash. I'm actually not surprised. This is again a case of irresponsible asshats ruining it for everyone. Also, I'm betting this will end up being policy and a permanent restriction. I always thought the Pit was the spot left open for shooting expressly to give people a place to do so without having them scatter throughout the forest. I actually attended one of the cleanup sessions there. Cogs made some good suggestions. However, if there is a USFS management mindset against target shooting that would end up on deaf ears. Considering the problems they've had for years in that area with shooters trash, etc. I actually believe they've wanted to do this all along and the fire closure and reopening was the perfect opportunity to implement it. And what exactly does "nor any place in between or a few miles there after" encompass? I hope it doesn't mean everything within the USFS Clackamas River Ranger District. Or that it doesn't get to the point where the entire Mt Hood National Forest is cut off except for hunting season.

Went out there a couple weeks ago when the gate past Promontory was open, just for a look see.
I think we will take the 36 off the map.
It was barely recognizable with the berm facing the highway mostly flattened. (An important feature since it served to provide a safety, sound, and political barrier between the shooting area and traffic on the highway). A group of heavy construction vehicles now occupy the site.
The two "Henry" sites further down also may be history. All I could see was what I think was the access road (locked gate) but no "NF" road sign at.the entrance.

The 36 was never an ideal spot..but now there is nothing available if you need to go East.

@Cogs .. was there ever any evidence discovered to tie the fire to shooters ?
Or was it just a convenient excuse to ban rec. shooting there. A well known axiom is frequently used in certain parts of the government.
"Poo Flows Downhill "

Last Edited:
Went out there a couple weeks ago when the gate past Promontory was open, just for a look see.
I think we will take the 36 off the map.
It was barely recognizable with the berm facing the highway mostly flattened. (An important feature since it served to provide a safety, sound, and political barrier between the shooting area and traffic on the highway). A group of heavy construction vehicles now occupy the site.
The two "Henry" sites further down also may be history. All I could see was what I think was the access road (locked gate) but no "NF" road sign at.the entrance.

The 36 was never an ideal spot..but now there is nothing available if you need to go East.
@Cogs .. was there ever any evidence discovered to tie the fire to shooters ?
Or is it just a convenient excuse to ban rec. shooting there.
That whole area, from Estacada to about 12 miles past Fish Creek area, is currently closed to several types of recreation, not just target shooting. Still, we may not get back the 36 Pit or the Fish Creek area.

One fire did start in that pit years ago when they had to close the Memaloose Bridge and road. Story goes it was from an explosive device and the wind made it jump the river. Burned a lot of territory!

They did have trouble with that berm on the West side of the pit (facing the road), because people were putting targets on top of that little berm and bullets flying over the road and river. That's a good way to get a place closed! I had proposed to eliminate that berm, build a stairway and perhaps a ramp for access from the parking lot, close off the side road access at the gate, drop in a firing line and make it obvious that you will be shooting toward the hill. However, it's the Feds and they don't want anything to do with providing improvments for recreation with guns.

Yep, it's more convenient to just ban it. It is understandable, but bummer there's no place to shoot out there for now. I think the only place might be at Wildcat.

That whole area, from Estacada to about 12 miles past Fish Creek area, is currently closed to several types of recreation, not just target shooting. Still, we may not get back the 36 Pit or the Fish Creek area.

One fire did start in that pit years ago when they had to close the Memaloose Bridge and road. Story goes it was from an explosive device and the wind made it jump the river. Burned a lot of territory!

They did have trouble with that berm on the West side of the pit (facing the road), because people were putting targets on top of that little berm and bullets flying over the road and river. That's a good way to get a place closed! I had proposed to eliminate that berm, build a stairway and perhaps a ramp for access from the parking lot, close off the side road access at the gate, drop in a firing line and make it obvious that you will be shooting toward the hill. However, it's the Feds and they don't want anything to do with providing improvments for recreation with guns.

Yep, it's more convenient to just ban it. It is understandable, but bummer there's no place to shoot out there for now. I think the only place might be at Wildcat.
I was thinking of Memaloose when I wrote the above. I think that area has been closed long enough to consider it a permanent closure.
Back to the 36 (and shooting areas in general ) The main reason I would use that area was its close-in location on the East side. That is also the reason why many do not use Wolf Creek. It's practically like driving to the coast and is not accessible ....Winter to Spring...unless you happen to be driving "Big Foot". This speaks to fuel consumption, and barring access to the handicapped and elderly, another Government responsibility. (hmm.. bad federal officials, bad).
As for the 36 pit's proximity to the Portland zoo, yes that does encourage the inclusion of certain "colorful personalites" from the metro area. This should be within the established pervue of current government agency missions.
I for one have witnessed Olympic level Tequila bottle skeet matches and the 10 yard Tec-9 drive by competition out there. Certainly these are encouraged within current Govt. policy ..aren't they ?

Still there ? OK. good.

The convoluted point I am laboring to make here is that the Government in a larger sense, is creating the problem now, and they are now foisting the results on us.
As I said earlier, I agree with the problems at the 36. It is their job to fix it or at least relocate it to an accessible area, with appropriate road maintenance. Or is that just for people living on the West side ?

The forests are not just for mountain bikers.

"Currently closed" meaning permanently. You can write the 36 pit off.
from what i read on others posts, i guessing the trash accumulation had a lot to do with it, but i have heard it gets a lil sketch there too. with the recent fire issues just made it to easy to close for Mt.Hood Rangers

Too bad. Its always the few who ruin it for the rest of the responsible outdoor shooters. Cant fix stupid or entitled people, which alot of the time are the same..

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.