JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I am in the process of reloading some 308 for the first time. I've reloaded many other calibers to include large magnum rifle, but I am having a problem with about 10% of these. It seems that some of the 308 will not re size at the base of the cartridge as I cannot compress the press so that the case completely enters the die. I am using a pile of case lube, but no dice. I suspect I could force it but not sure if that is the right thing to do here. I need some folks with experience to guide me further.

Is there a way I can resize these - heat perhaps? I have no skills in anything - so this has to be simple or it wont work for me.

Thanks.

Sounds like you got a batch of "once fired" 308 brass that was fired in a machine gun maybe. You might have to run them through a small base die to get them back down to a normal size that you can use in your rifle. Measure the case head with some calipers and compare it to the cartridge drawing dimensions in your reloading manual. Measure before and after running them through your FL sizing die to see if it is getting them back to specs. Don't use too much lube or you could get some hydraulic denting happening during your resizing.

wait......

I just did some research on the small base die. If I cant stuff the cartridge in a regular die how can I compress it even further in a small base die?

WCC is Western Cartridge Company and TAA is mil stuff from Taiwan (had to look that one up!). Sounds like Greenbug was right, you've got surplus brass probably fired through a machine gun so it's stretched pretty good. Mil brass typically has thicker walls than commercial brass so it can be harder to resize too. If it was me I would just pitch the 10% that aren't sizing properly. I typically pitch 5% of the Lake City 5.56 I reload for my AR. My face is only inches away from 50,000 psi. Brass is cheap, face transplant and seeing eye dog not so cheap. Also, start a little under what ever load you are going to use. The thicker walls on mil brass slightly reduces volume in the case which can increase pressure some. Just out of curiosity what are you loading for?

AR 308 35 grains of lt-32 with a 168 grn bthp. I've done about 15 just to see how those fire. if the load works, action cycles, bullets hit paper I'll stay with it.

BTW I still want to salvage the TAA stuff if I can. I think it will be ok if I can resize. I looked at others i have loaded (of the 15) and some others TAA were just fine. it seems that just some have issues. If the end result is I rip the press of my bench - I'll chuck it, but someone mentioned using wax in another thread that could help.

I'll work on this until I realize the time to make them useful is ridiculous or costs too much - buy special dies, lubes, wax whatever.

Thanks.

What kind of press are you using? Dies? If you are using an RCBS Rockchucker, or better and quality dies and have the press firmly mounted, it seems like you should be able to resize the cases. If you do, be sure to measure them and trim to proper length, as they may stretch a bit once resized. You might also contact the press/die manufacturer and see what they suggest. It may be easier and less time consuming to just recycle the bad brass, but that is up to you.

using rock chucker with rcbs dies. i can do all trimming and case prep one resized. resizing is the problem

What kind of press are you using? Dies? If you are using an RCBS Rockchucker, or better and quality dies and have the press firmly mounted, it seems like you should be able to resize the cases. If you do, be sure to measure them and trim to proper length, as they may stretch a bit once resized. You might also contact the press/die manufacturer and see what they suggest. It may be easier and less time consuming to just recycle the bad brass, but that is up to you.

I have shot and reloaded hounds of rounds shot out of my MG's and have never had any problem resizing brass out of any of them. MG's have a slightly larger chamber, but not by that much. A Rockchucker should have no problem resizing the brass, hard to say for sure what the problem is.......

Are you aware of "over cam?" For me, I needed a bit, to get the brass re-szied correctly. It's NOT good enough to just leave a sliver of light between the die and the shell holder. BTW, I use regular F/L resizing dies from RCBS (for .223 Rem, .308W and .30-06). Additionally, I haven't had trouble with MG brass in .308Win.

Also, are you using a headspace gauge to check your brass resizing efforts?

STORY TIME:

My son use to have a .30-06 commercial Rem 700 bolt action. My reloads that I used in my M1 Garand (in .30-06) wouldn't chamber in his rifle. Humm....my reloads gauged correctly and work well in my Garand. So, what was I doing wrong? Well, what I found was that the cases needed to be resized even further in order for the reloads to work in both rifles. I just screwed the resizing die a little further down and sized the cases. This caused a bit of "over cam" in the press. But, it worked. The cases use to gauge between the high and low cuts. Now they gauge on the very low side of the acceptable range.

Aloha, Mark

well I dont know if I have this sorted, but I found away around it. BRUTE FORCE. I put a cheater bar on the end of my rock chucker along with a fresh can of hornady case lube and went to town. i did 500 cases.

no doubt about it - the cases are really deformed (were), I hope that after I get them out of my gun they're not this bad. I dont wanna go through this each time i reload.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top