JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The more I learn the more I remember what I've forgotten.

I just remembered ...

The effect on midrange trajectory (MRT)and maximum point-blank range (MPBR, 5" in this case) by line of sight (LOS) distance over line of bore (LOB)

Definition of terms
midrange trajectory (MRT) Highest point of travel over line of sight (LOS)
maximum point blank range (MPBR) 5" in this case. No more than 2.5" over or under line of sight (LOS) for a total of 5" .
line of bore (LOB) bore of the rifle.
Zero, distance in yards the rifle is zeroed at.
Near field zero (NFZ) Where line of sight first crosses bullet trajectory. More on this handy number later :)

Sighting in a rifle to maximize the effective range where a dead hold will place an impact no more than 2.5" above or below line of sight is a 5" MPBR. Others may use the term differently or choose a different MPBR depending on size of target, game, or ego.

308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, 168gr 1.5" over bore, 2650 F/Sec
NFZ 25 yards, MRT @ 119 yards, Zero 210 yards, MPBR 246 yards

308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, 168gr 3" over bore, 2650 F/Sec
NFZ 46 yards, MRT @ 138 yards, Zero 227 yards, MPBR 259 yards

I'll supply data on request as it's commonly available. It's just numbers, far too many to post here.
I just wanted to show raw data to support the notion that the distance between LOS and LOB does make a difference when calculating MPBR.

Also keep in mind that these numbers are derived from a computer model and real-world results will vary noticeably but it's still a good baseline.

NFZ comes in handy when you don't have a range where you can set a target an arbitrary distance like 227, etc. For me it's just a way to avoid wasting ammunition.
The 308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, 168gr 1.5" over bore, @ 2650 F/Sec having a NFZ of 25 yards is purely coincidental.
The 308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, 168gr 3" over bore, @ 2650 F/Sec having an NFZ 46 yards is kind of inconvenient so use 1.3" low at 25 yards (It's in the data)

I was just overthinking ballistics again and thought I'd share. Again, I do not solve unsmooth integrals in my head. I just get into some nerdy crap on occasion.

308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, 168gr 3.5" 237yd Z 273yd MPBR

The 308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Federal Sierra MatchKing BTHP, 168gr 3.5" over bore, @ 2700 F/Sec having an NFZ 55 yards is kind of inconvenient so use 1.6" low at 25 yards. MRT is 150yds. 237yd Zed. MPBR 273yds.

308 Winchester (7.62mm NATO), Sellier & Bellot FMJ, 147gr, 2800 fps 1700 YDS

Okay this gets silly quick.

At 25yds it's 25" over zed.
At 1015yds it's 72 feet over line of sight and velocity is down to 1113 f/sec.
At 1700yds it's

819 f/sec219 f/lbs3987 ms
This worked out surprisingly well with consistent velocities. The target was a piece of 4' x 8' sheet rock.

The most curious thing at these distances was that some projectiles would arrive nose high in a semi keyhole and others would be tail following point round hole impact.
I never did follow or figure out why this happened or what caused it.
I do have some educated guesses centered around under stabilized, conditionally stabilized, and over stabilized with respect to bullet weight, bearing area, ballistic coefficient and day of the week ;-)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top