JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't do it.
Not enough energy. Bears need bone breaking pills. But I'm sure some dude will remind me he's killed 1,500 bears with a 25-06

Just curious how much energy do you feel is sufficient to bring down your typical Oregon Black bear? According to various websites they range from 200 to 600 pounds. I am not doubting what your saying, I am just curious. I don't have any experience bear hunting, but my grandfather in law does. His suggestion to me was a heavy bullet that will penetrate.

How many bears have you killed?
Ever shot and lost a bear? I have, and it sucks.
Are we sword fighting here? Because I have zero interest in it. I've killed enough, and been around enough killed to know they aren't bullet proof, or arrow proof for that matter. I've never lost one, sorry you did.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I've killed enough, and been around enough killed to know they aren't bullet proof, or arrow proof for that matter

Just curious how much energy do you feel is sufficient to bring down your typical Oregon Black bear? According to various websites they range from 200 to 600 pounds. I am not doubting what your saying, I am just curious. I don't have any experience bear hunting, but my grandfather in law does. His suggestion to me was a heavy bullet that will penetrate.

Same question, would like to hear some opinions. Again, not trying to feed any fire between you guys, it's just nice to have a frame of reference from people with the experience. If you don't know I'd appreciate info on what you've used and what range to kill bears, I can extrapolate from there. :D

Enough power is a good question. From my experience there's 3 types of answers.
1. Enough power
2. The right power
3. And this will work cause this is what I got.
I've killed mine with a .270 I've since switched to a .300 wsm. I've always been advised to use a .338 mag. But that's a big gun, that doesn't mean much to me.my next gun will be a custom .300 rum.

Are we sword fighting here? Because I have zero interest in it. I've killed enough, and been around enough killed to know they aren't bullet proof, or arrow proof for that matter. I've never lost one, sorry you did.

Nope. I didn't mean to make you mad. That wasn't my intention.

Actually, there was a former pet Kodiak bear pre_WWI on Orcas Island that grew to over a 1,000 pounds when it escaped. The local who finally put an end to its depredations according to the local paper used 5-6 shots from a .22. I am thinking maybe a 22-250 Winchester was actually or a 25-35?? A .22 boggles the mind but that's what the news story says.

Brutus Out

Enough power is a good question. From my experience there's 3 types of answers.
1. Enough power
2. The right power
3. And this will work cause this is what I got.
I've killed mine with a .270 I've since switched to a .300 wsm. I've always been advised to use a .338 mag. But that's a big gun, that doesn't mean much to me.my next gun will be a custom .300 rum.

What yardage, ballpark? Only because a .270 at 50 yards is way different then a .270 at 500 yards.

Actually, there was a former pet Kodiak bear pre_WWI on Orcas Island that grew to over a 1,000 pounds when it escaped. The local who finally put an end to its depredations according to the local paper used 5-6 shots from a .22. I am thinking maybe a 22-250 Winchester was actually or a 25-35?? A .22 boggles the mind but that's what the news story says.

Brutus Out

There are always exceptions, I don't live by exception.

I really enjoy a good bear schooling lesson. Having put in my time hunting bear with one of the best and most dedicated bear hunters this side of Main, who shared with me his knowledge, then got me started with the best breed of dogs a man could ask for.
When you are willing to face a bear that has been chased, bitten, and fought back for hours on end or days later if the fight holds out, or starts back up- day after day. Or if you are willing to risk crawling through a bear run that is nothing more than a hole in the old growth salmon berry about two and a half feet wide and three feet high, Knowing there is no standing up and turning around might not happen either for several hundred yards or more. Up one ridge down the other side through the swamps and lake edges, inlets and peninsulas nearly up to your neck in water. Before thinking about lunch you start wondering if the next time you crawl should the dogs turn him to back track will you get off the shot in time. Some never tree, some bay up and fight, many get away - more than you will ever see, even once.
Al held a .30 carbine or a 30/30 I liked the security of a bolt action and the nimbleness of my .350 Remington Mag mod 660 and a 250 grain Speer spire point.
Go ahead call me a sissy I can take it.
I have no use for store bought Ammo either. I do know the difference in bullet energy and what it means for every caliber I have chosen to hunt with and exactly what is going to happen in the way of energy transfer should I do my part.
Silver Hand

Be prepared to put more than one round in a bear using the 300 BLK. I'm not saying you will but I think it will be the case.

Bears are a tough animal. I have killed a few and lost one, All using my '06. I have had them wad up on impact, run 80 yards, need a second shot after charging and lost one. I really like the 300 BLK but It's not what I would use. I personally feel a "larger" (higher energy) round is best.

25/35 is not a .22 cal.
25/35 is a .257 cal. - That rifle works best with bullets of about 80-100 grains. The 100 grain .257 is considered about perfect for accuracy when casting lead and applying a gas check. It was not considered a big game rifle bullet. Although back in the day I will bet a lot of venison were hit and many taken by the 25/35 Winchester.
It looks like a 30/30 neck down to a 25 caliber. Would almost say it was for sure but I am not sure. Last I saw Hornady made a .257 in a 117 grain round noise for it. Ideal Cast Boolit moulds were designed down to 46 grains.
The gun is fun to shoot with 10 grains of unique and a 89 or the 100 grain lead gas check boolits. I once had a Winchester 94 carbine in this caliber
Silver Hand

The kids and I have taken a bunch of bear using everything from the .25-06 to the .338 WM. They were everywhere between 150 lbs. to big, real big. Some went down in a heap on impact, others not so much even though hit solidly. In my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like, try to pass a bullet through the vitals into the off side shoulder. If hit this way, your bullet should pass through both lungs and break the off side shoulder which facilitates a fast culmination to the kill, and that should be what we all want.

A bear doesn't leave much of a blood trail due to heavy fur and fat, while an animal hit through the lungs will leave a good amount of spore via the mouth. Tracking a bear by paw prints alone can be difficult at best. A word of caution here, even a little fuzzy can be pure poison if wounded and cornered. I know there are those that will tell you, it's only a black bear, but they haven't been around a mortally hit, not dead yet bear. If you have the opportunity to hit it again after the first impact and there's any movement at all, do so now, again tracking a wounded bear isn't for the faint of heart. Teeth, claws and a strength that is hard to believe and all that rot you know.

Please, if your going to hunt bear, it's incumbent upon you to take the time to make damn sure your not taking a sow with cubs. The last thing you need on your hands, heart and conscience is a small cub or two left out there to die a slow miserable death.

Any of the calibers talked about (with the exception of the .22) would probably do the job in the hands of the right person and given the right shot placement and range. I know what my favorite caliber is, but then again we all know what opinions are like.
Good luck and good days hunting:s0155:

John

The kids and I have taken a bunch of bear using everything from the .25-06 to the .338 WM. They were everywhere between 150 lbs. to big, real big. Some went down in a heap on impact, others not so much even though hit solidly. In my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like, try to pass a bullet through the vitals into the off side shoulder. If hit this way, your bullet should pass through both lungs and break the off side shoulder which facilitates a fast culmination to the kill, and that should be what we all want.

A bear doesn't leave much of a blood trail due to heavy fur and fat, while an animal hit through the lungs will leave a good amount of spore via the mouth. Tracking a bear by paw prints alone can be difficult at best. A word of caution here, even a little fuzzy can be pure poison if wounded and cornered. I know there are those that will tell you, it's only a black bear, but they haven't been around a mortally hit, not dead yet bear. If you have the opportunity to hit it again after the first impact and there's any movement at all, do so now, again tracking a wounded bear isn't for the faint of heart. Teeth, claws and a strength that is hard to believe and all that rot you know.

Please, if your going to hunt bear, it's incumbent upon you to take the time to make damn sure your not taking a sow with cubs. The last thing you need on your hands, heart and conscience is a small cub or two left out there to die a slow miserable death.

Any of the calibers talked about (with the exception of the .22) would probably do the job in the hands of the right person and given the right shot placement and range. I know what my favorite caliber is, but then again we all know what opinions are like.
Good luck and good days hunting:s0155:

John

Nice read - Thanks!

Come on John what is your personal favorite iron or irons, if you use something different in the heavy brush for close work.
Silver Hand

I wouldn't want to wound a bear and go hunting him in brush. For me for blacks I'd want a .308 or better. Don't even think about using that 300 on a brown or grizzly

I just want to use something on my AR platform for close close range bears. 300 seems to be the simplest to switch back and forth. If there's something better, by all means, let's hear it. When the need arises that I need to reach out, well, there's a Lapua for that, or an Ultramag.

The thing I find most amusing about threads like this is all the folks that claim that you need at least XYZ magnum to kill a bear.

These "big" guns have not existed that long in the world of firearms and only a small fraction of time of hunting. Bear have been being killed long before the 50's.

The thing I find most amusing about threads like this is all the folks that claim that you need at least XYZ magnum to kill a bear.

These "big" guns have not existed that long in the world of firearms and only a small fraction of time of hunting. Bear have been being killed long before the 50's.

Very true. I could also still ride a horse to work but there are now better options, I like my cars and trucks.

So with this ideology, should we limit our selves to one "right" rifle caliber and maybe one hand gun cali?

NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK OR WAR STARTER. I personally love the few freedoms and choices we have left, Hell I may never hunt with the same caliber two years in a row again....

I just want to use something on my AR platform for close close range bears. 300 seems to be the simplest to switch back and forth. If there's something better, by all means, let's hear it. When the need arises that I need to reach out, well, there's a Lapua for that, or an Ultramag.

Why not the .458 SOCOM? Uses standard AR mags and has more energy then the 300 BLK. Just as easy of a swap as the 300Blk.

Very true. I could also still ride a horse to work but there are now better options, I like my cars and trucks.

So with this ideology, should we limit our selves to one "right" rifle caliber and maybe one hand gun cali?

NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK OR WAR STARTER. I personally love the few freedoms and choices we have left, Hell I may never hunt with the same caliber two years in a row again....

I think his point is it's not a requirement. And frankly with todays gas prices, if I lived closer to the job riding a horse maybe more cost effective. And if I decided to stop off at the bar on the way home I'd always have a designated driver! :D:D (I know I can still get a DUII on a horse)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top