JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about building a 300 upper for a short range bear gun. Area we usually hunt is generally 150 yards and under. Ballistics are 30-30 ish. Anyone whack a bear with one?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Probably more game has been taken with the 30/30 than any other round. Closer than 150 yards for any animal would be a good consideration using a similar cartridge too, or the 30/30. The closer the better.
I have seen a .30 carbine with a 110 grain RN pill do the job at less than 30 feet. That is under 1,000 Ft Pounds of energy point blank. The 30/30 with a 170 grain pill will about match that at or around 150 yards.
Bullet placement is the most important thing to consider and with the numbers in energy foot pounds this low! Well It does not leave you much room for mistakes. Wounding an animal is the last thing I want to do!
Silver Hand

Every time this topic of discussion comes up, someone will no doubt pitch in that you have to have AT MINIMUM a .400 Wundershooter.
In reality, most blackies are under 200 pounds and are fairly fragile critters. I've shot a few with my 2506 and never felt undergunned. I think a 300BLK would almost be ideal with a ten round mag. My favorite bear-gitter is my Ruger 1894 in 44 mag.

Every time this topic of discussion comes up, someone will no doubt pitch in that you have to have AT MINIMUM a .400 Wundershooter.
In reality, most blackies are under 200 pounds and are fairly fragile critters. I've shot a few with my 2506 and never felt undergunned. I think a 300BLK would almost be ideal with a ten round mag. My favorite bear-gitter is my Ruger 1894 in 44 mag.

From what I understand, with few exceptions large magazines [Over Five Rounds] are not legal to hunt with.
Silver Hand

get closer, less than 75 yards would be better. Heard reports of bears walking away when hit at with 30-30 at long range.

Copy that. Most ranges in this area are a good bow shot, 30-60 yards. 150 is the maximum you can see, much less thread a bullet through it, and that is only in a few places. I think it's doable, based on the helpful posts in this thread, now I just need parts. Thinking 18" lighter weight bbl, VX-R 1.5-4, and a relatively smooth handguard. Anyone have another idea(s)?

We used to knock them out of the trees with a Ruger Deerfield 44 carbine. Works good.

I wouldn't do it.
Not enough energy. Bears need bone breaking pills. But I'm sure some dude will remind me he's killed 1,500 bears with a 25-06

Here's the thing though, using a 110-130gr Barnes, which is basically equivalent to a 30-30 with 150's, right? How many bears have fallen to a good ol dirty 30? And for the record, I would shoot a bear, at reasonable ranges, in a second with my 257 Ackley and some 100gr TSX in a second.

Here's the thing though, using a 110-130gr Barnes, which is basically equivalent to a 30-30 with 150's, right? How many bears have fallen to a good ol dirty 30? And for the record, I would shoot a bear, at reasonable ranges, in a second with my 257 Ackley and some 100gr TSX in a second.

How many bears have you killed?
Ever shot and lost a bear? I have, and it sucks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top