JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for some help from everyone that has been reloading a lot longer than I. Need to start getting components put together for 300 blk and .223

What bullets and powder would you start with on each? I like buying in bulk. I know my 308 rifles like 175gr sierra match kings so I bought 500 to start. I would like to do the same with the others but not sure where to even start.

What is a good .223 all around bullet.

What is a good 300 blk bullet.

What powder to use for each.

I haven't taken much time to look through my reloading books to get an idea but thought that I would start with you guys.

Thanks in advance.

I don't load for 300 blk (yet?) but I do a bit of 223.

When I first started reloading, I started with 223. I worked up a load that was safe in all my 223 guns. Being a beginner, all I was worried about was safe. As it turned out, I stumbled into a decent load.

My go to bullet for 223 is 55 grain V-MAX. Not the cheapest bullet but not very expensive and always available. Yes, you could do FMJ cheaper. For me, I like to be able to grab a mag and a gun knowing that I am ready to either do some target shooting or coyote killing when I get to the farm.

I picked Winchester 748 and don't really remember why. I am guessing it was a combination of availability and looking at the Hornady manual's listed powders and speeds. Win 748 is a ball powder so it measures very consistently from a powder drop.

My suggestion as far as buying in bulk, don't do it until you figure out which bullet you like best in your guns. When I started, I thought the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip would be the way to go. For some reason, it just didn't shoot as well as the V-MAX in my guns. It also showed more signs of pressure at similar powder weights compared to the V-MAX.

5.56/223:
55gr berrys bullets .224
there are a million diff powders for 5.56.
most powders used for 308 work well in 5.56 in my experience.

300blk:
125gr speer TNT for .308
208gr hornady BTHP for 300blk subs.
accurate 1680 powder for both supers and subs

I am looking for some help from everyone that has been reloading a lot longer than I. Need to start getting components put together for 300 blk and .223

What bullets and powder would you start with on each? I like buying in bulk. I know my 308 rifles like 175gr sierra match kings so I bought 500 to start. I would like to do the same with the others but not sure where to even start.

What is a good .223 all around bullet.

What is a good 300 blk bullet.

What powder to use for each.

I haven't taken much time to look through my reloading books to get an idea but thought that I would start with you guys.

Thanks in advance.
Bulk or specific loads for specific purposes?

Bulk:

For 223/556

2230 or H335 or Milsurp WC844
I usually to buy any 55g fun on sale in bulk numbers. Usually through surplusammo.com

For 300blk.

I'd say Lil gun or H110 in bulk numbers couldn't hurt you.
Check out surplusammo for bulk 30 cal bullets for supersonic loads and eggleston bullets for subsonic bulk bullets.

Specific loads just buy as you normally would. A pound of powder here or there and a box of bullets here or there.

Suppressed or Super makes a lot of difference.
For 300BLK, I run Super, 125g HPBT, 18.8g CFE BLK, CCI 450 primers converted .223/5.56 brass (certain head stamps are not compatible with .223/5.56 brass conversion) choose wisely.;)
150g Nosler FMJ, 15.9g W296, CCI 400 primers using converted brass.

For .223/5.56 I also run Super.
I use once fired PMC brass, 23g of IMR 3031 powder and 55g FMJ for plinking.

For SHTF stockpiling LC brass, 60g HP or SP, CCI 450 primers & 22.4g q CFE223.

Last Edited:
The best .223 bullet I ever found for accuracy combined with price was the Hornaday Z-max bullets. Most agree the Z-max bullets is the exact same bullet as the V-max but for less money and a different colored tip.

It appears the Z-max bullets have been discontinued though. However, Powder Valley still has a limited supply of 50 and 55 grain bullets in stock, 500 for $60. You need to act fast...only 24 boxes left of the 50 grain and 184 boxes of the 55 grain as of today.

.223 shoots great with so many powders. My favorite though is N133 for the velocity and accuracy with 40 and 50 grain bullets. Varget for the 55 grain bullets. If you plan to throw your charges, H335 might be the best choice.

For .223/5.56 with a 1 in 9" twist or faster barrel I suggest the Hornady 62 hr HPBT from Mid-South Shooters Supply. Accurate, affordable and effective. Available in smaller quantities as well, but the 1500 pack gets them under 10 cents a bullet.
22 Caliber .224 Diameter 62 Grain BTHP With Cannelure 1500 Count
Others to consider for slower twist barrels are the Speer 50 gr TNT and the Hornady 50 gr SX, both provide good accuracy and explosive performance in 1 in 12" barrels at an affordable price.
My preferred powder is Ramshot TAC. Measures great in my RCBS Uniflow powder measure, burns clean, has worked from decent to exceptional accuracy with bullets from 40 gr to 77 gr. I recently got two 8 lb kegs for $259 with free hazmat on sale.
IMR-8208XBR is a good second option and also works well in .308 Win. ( The jury is still out on TAC in the .308 Win. Once the snow melts, I will decide.)
No experience with the .300 BO. I do like the Speer 125 gr TNT in the .308 AR 18" barrel as an affordable accurate bullet. Should do great on coyotes, if I elect to carry the extra weight.

Thanks guys. I would like to find a round that does it all. Like @erslll mentioned cost really isn't the issue and it would be nice to have one that all my AR's like no matter what I am doing with it.

Paper, coyote or the two legged threat. I don't ususally take my AR to the range when I go but would say that If I do I don't shoot more than two or three mags. I am sure that even with more expensive bullets its cheaper loading it than buying mid grade or good ammo.

Thanks guys. I would like to find a round that does it all. Like @erslll mentioned cost really isn't the issue and it would be nice to have one that all my AR's like no matter what I am doing with it.

Paper, coyote or the two legged threat. I don't ususally take my AR to the range when I go but would say that If I do I don't shoot more than two or three mags. I am sure that even with more expensive bullets its cheaper loading it than buying mid grade or good ammo.
I don't think you can do anything wrong by investing in powder and primers until you find a bullet that makes sense in bulk for everything.

The vmax 55 grain projectiles go on sale here and there. Soft points too. Both would be good for all the things you listed. They just aren't as popular in bulk as FMJs.

And the Z-max that @Otter mentioned above is a heck of a deal. I will probably order a couple of boxes sooner than later.

The best .223 bullet I ever found for accuracy combined with price was the Hornaday Z-max bullets. Most agree the Z-max bullets is the exact same bullet as the V-max but for less money and a different colored tip.

It appears the Z-max bullets have been discontinued though. However, Powder Valley still has a limited supply of 50 and 55 grain bullets in stock, 500 for $60. You need to act fast...only 24 boxes left of the 50 grain and 184 boxes of the 55 grain as of today.

.223 shoots great with so many powders. My favorite though is N133 for the velocity and accuracy with 40 and 50 grain bullets. Varget for the 55 grain bullets. If you plan to throw your charges, H335 might be the best choice.

Just bought three box's. Thanks figured worst case scenario they are always good to have on the shelf for back up. I appreciate the help guys. Now I can start playing with different powders.

I'll be watching carefully for .300 Blackout loads and information. Have recently wandered into this caliber, have the dies, brass, assortment of primers and am looking for a do it all round suitable for a 7.5" 1:7 twist barrel...

Still doing my research...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads