Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

30-30 bullets in .308 loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Benchrest, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Benchrest

Benchrest The Desert Planet Well-Known Member

Guys

I've been reloading for a little over a year, and have always purchased components specific to the caliber (duh). Recently I had the chance to buy, what I assume are, .308 dia bullets designed for 30-30 loads. The thought at the time was "hey, at least I'll have them".

A quick check doesn't show any loads for these bullets in .308, but I do have QUICKload, so I could start there (I don't hunt, so 'designed for expansion at X velocity' doesn't apply).

Am I wasting my time? Am I wasting a quality bullet that should be traded?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

30-301.jpg

30-302.jpg

2. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

The problem is, if it is a bullet manufactured in the last decade or two, and probably even before that, then it is probably designed for a certain velocity range specific to .30-30 loads, not 7.62x51 loads.

This was a problem I had back in the early 70s when there wasn't much 7mm mag ammo out there; I got some Remington 150 gr. SP ammo and they would blow up on anything under 200 yards - most likely because Remington used a bullet designed more for 7x57 ammo than something that drives that bullet much faster.

Given that, if you are sure they are for the .30-30 (not just because they are FP) - by looking at the bullet part no. and cross checking - then there are reduced loads you could use them in.

Otherwise I would save them for a .30-30 or comparable load, or trade them for something more appropriate for your intended use.

3. Mongo1

Mongo1 Santiam Canyon Active Member

I have some 308 cartridges with 100 grain bullets. what weight/diameter are your "30 30" bullets

4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I used to have a 308 w/16.5 inch barrel. I used to load 93 grn mauser pistol bullets, 100 grn Plinkers, 110 grn hollow points and 150 grn 30-30 bullets, they all worked great. the 30-30 bullet has a thinner jacket but that is no dis advantage unless your hunting elk/bear

5. Benchrest

Mongo

Both the Speer & Nosler are 150gr and .308 in diameter.

6. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Either use em' or trade/sell them to someone who actually needs 30-30 bullets as they are really hard to find right now. On the 'flip side' I am using up some 150 Gr. Spire Point bullets IN my 30-30 because I have them and have no other need for them. The up side is they really flatten out the trajectory with a noticeable improvement in accuracy.

7. Benchrest

Thanks RVTECH and all else who chimed in - yeah, that's what I was thinking, probably best just to trade them to someone who can use them.

Jason

8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Probably make a nifty varmint blower upper. I'd shoot the heck outa those.

9. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I loaded up some Hornady (#3035) 150gr 30-30 bullets in my 308 and they shot really well. Hornady only rates them to 2500fps so they might be a little explosive up close for medium game. I think i was running them at 2600 and getting .75in groups at 100yds. I also loaded one with TrailBoss and they were a blast at something like 1800fps. The TB loads would be a good load to start young shooters or plink with. I would not call your purchase a waste unless you are looking to break shoulders up close or shoot past 300yds. They will kill paper just fine.
    Best of luck,

Mongo1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. stavros4570

stavros4570 eugene,or. Member

I shoot those alot in 308. I weight sort them and use them for subsonics. Great!

11. oremike

oremike Creswell, Oregon Well-Known Member

I made a similar mistake, I bought some Hornaday 150gr RN's for my '06. I called Hornaday and was told they would not be good hunting bullets at less than 300 yards because I was pushing them at about 2900 fps out the barrel. That said they shoot a 1/2" group at 100 yds. I'll use them on things I don't want to eat like milk jugs full of water and Tannerite.

12. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter