JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fifth recommendation for Leupold VX-3 2.5x8. Can be had used at a good price. Smaller and brighter than VX2.

Member Driftin has one for sale here for 255.00 which is a great deal IMHO. Disclaimer: not affiliated in any way.

Not trying to be an azz, but I'd never use a scope to look at anything I wasn't prepared to shoot immediately. Everything you look at is a mistake away from having a bullet hole in it.

As far as the scope, the pre-64 begs for a classic hunting scope. Not a tacticool geewiz thing with 3 inch knobs on it.

The spacing of the scope bases is such that short tubed scopes like the 2-7 and 2.5-8 can leave you with no eye relief leeway or worse yet, not enough tube to reach the rings.

My favorite mounts for a pre-64 are either Talley steel mounts and rings, which offer reversible front bases to assist with short tubes, or Leupold Dual Dovetails, which are too far apart for anything shorter than a 3-9x. If you have an unmodified bolt handle, you may have clearance issue with leupold lows. Talley lows are perfect.
I hate people that use a scope to glass a mountain side (or anywhere else) That is what binoculars are for. Looking at someone through a scope mounted on a rifle should be illegal......and at the least is poor hunting practice. If I was forced into it I would remove the bolt from the rifle prior to looking through it. It is akin to shooting at unidentifiable movement in the brush to me............

D01BC29C-781A-400D-BFEB-2218EDDA4838.jpeg This is my mostly factory 700P with Leupold tactical scope, Gentec, fluted 20" barrel. It came with a 40X match trigger now set to 1/4 lb and McMillan stock. It shoots 3 round clover leaf groups from a cold barrel at 100 yards. The scope is an older model that came on another Remington sniper rifle I bought from a eastern police department that one of my son's uses now.

Last Edited:
I hate people that use a scope to glass a mountain side (or anywhere else) That is what binoculars are for. Looking at someone through a scope mounted on a rifle should be illegal......and at the least is poor hunting practice. If I was forced into it I would remove the bolt from the rifle prior to looking through it. It is akin to shooting at unidentifiable movement in the brush to me............

Your absolutely correct Argonaut...

I would consider a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10X:

Vortex Optics - Viper HS 2.5-10x44 V-Plex

The Vortex Warranty:
VIP WARRANTY

side_warranty_small.gif
Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it.

• Unlimited, unconditional lifetime warranty
  • Fully transferable
  • No warranty card to fill out.
  • No receipt needed to hang on to.
If you ever have a problem, no matter the cost, we promise to take care of you. The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.
S&W1500 - 1.jpg

Yes sir it is. I've had a couple pre 64's in that stock. The last action, that wore that stock, was my 375 H&H. The first picture was when my 30-06 fwt was in it. Here's a pic of when my 375 H&H and I were elk hunting:
8oRMgFX.jpg

Here's my 30-06 fwt in a set of DD's and a Burris FFII 3-9x40 in low rings....
nlhpUXF.jpg

I like the Leupold DD's clean look. You couldn't give me a set of windage adjustable mounts anymore....

Fifth recommendation for Leupold VX-3 2.5x8. Can be had used at a good price. Smaller and brighter than VX2.

Member Driftin has one for sale here for 255.00 which is a great deal IMHO. Disclaimer: not affiliated in any way.

Out of curiosity, what mounts and rings would you suggest the OP use for his rifle?

I have a lot of very expensive European made mounts that are wonderful but in truth a Leupold double dovetail system in unbeatable unless you want to have the scope removable.

I agree. If I were rich, I'd probably be promoting S&K or conetrol mounts/rings.... Those sure are slick, but dang they are expensive... I find Leupold DD's to be very good for the buck...

I agree. If I were rich, I'd probably be promoting S&K or conetrol mounts/rings.... Those sure are slick, but dang they are expensive... I find Leupold DD's to be very good for the buck...
My Rechnagel mounts make any US made mount look like it was made by a 10 year old but they can cost 800.00 buy them selves. The biggest advantage to them is total repeatability when a scope is R&R'd. A DD has to be removed from the rings to be taken off but they are rock solid.

Although I don't own one, the hunting scope I want to buy right now is a Leupold 2.5-8x36mm VX3i. A sharp scope in appearance, great glass, low profile and compact, and reasonably priced. Would look exceptional on that rifle.
An excellent pick Otter!
I've had this Leupold 2.5-8x36mm VX3i gold band on my M77 in .270 since the 70's without fail.
Brighter than the equivalent Leupold in 3-9 @ low light.
The 2.5 very accommodating in the bush. You'll actually see better than naked eye on rainy days while you'll appreciate the 8 when reckoning whether that 150 yard + deer is a doe or below his ear top spike.
Oh, Excuse me, that might be an evaluation.

A great rifle deserves good rings and bases. I would recommend Talley. You will need a Leopold for its waterproof integrity. The scope size should not compromise the rifles handiness. I had a 1x5x20 which is great but some higher magnification is desirable for a general purpose rifle. I used to use the Swarovski American and now have almost all Leopold.

Yes sir it is. I've had a couple pre 64's in that stock. The last action, that wore that stock, was my 375 H&H. The first picture was when my 30-06 fwt was in it. Here's a pic of when my 375 H&H and I were elk hunting:
View attachment 440386

Here's my 30-06 fwt in a set of DD's and a Burris FFII 3-9x40 in low rings....
View attachment 440387

I like the Leupold DD's clean look. You couldn't give me a set of windage adjustable mounts anymore....
Its a nice stock I would love to get one like that for mine, but I need a new firing pin and trigger first, I will hunt with it this fall for bears.

Thanks. Id like to see you get your rifle up and running for hunting season. The pre 64's are still one of the best hunting rifles ever made. They werent called the rifleman's rifle for nothing. As for your question about scopes and mounts, be careful about some ill advice on the 2.5-8x36. Again, you are going to have to be very selective in your mounts and rings. In some cases, you are not going to get that scope to fit because it has such a short tube, and in other cases, the scope is going to barely fit, but offer NO adjustment for proper eye relief. I have a 2.5-8x36 on a short action model 70 that works great. They are a nifty little scope, and work great for most rifles, but keep in mind the pre 64 is an old school long action. Good luck with your rifle man and happy hunting the old girl.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top