JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Winchester pre 64 model 70 in 30-06 that needs some glass. I am looking for something with a little lower power to hunt westside (bear and deer). Upwards of 90% of my shots will be under 150 yards so I am looking for something that is fast to pick up. It will also be my back up rifle for all other hunting so that is a factor and why I would not want to limit myself that much.

I have looked at the VX-ii 1-4x, but 4x worry that the 4x is to low.

the Trijicon stuff with the illuminated red triangle sure would be nice, but $1,300?

I have a Winchester pre 64 model 70 in 30-06 that needs some glass. I am looking for something with a little lower power to hunt westside (bear and deer). Upwards of 90% of my shots will be under 150 yards so I am looking for something that is fast to pick up. It will also be my back up rifle for all other hunting so that is a factor and why I would not want to limit myself that much.

I have looked at the VX-ii 1-4x, but 4x worry that the 4x is to low.

the Trijicon stuff with the illuminated red triangle sure would be nice, but $1,300?
I would look into the Leupold VX-Freedom line they just announced. From what I can tell it's an upgraded VX-2 and a very competitive price point

Although I don't own one, the hunting scope I want to buy right now is a Leupold 2.5-8x36mm VX3i. A sharp scope in appearance, great glass, low profile and compact, and reasonably priced. Would look exceptional on that rifle.

Although I don't own one, the hunting scope I want to buy right now is a Leupold 2.5-8x36mm VX3i. A sharp scope in appearance, great glass, low profile and compact, and reasonably priced. Would look exceptional on that rifle.
That would be a great choice. Love my vx-3i. It's super bright and crisp, especially in low light

Depending on your eyes and the quality of the scope, 1-4 would be enough for 150 yards and under. However, 2.5-10 would be a safer bet. A leupold VX-5HD would be nice if you don't mind paying the cash for it.

IMHO, you generally get what you pay for with optics (there are exceptions to the rule). Trijicon optics are generally expensive, but worth the price (but I only have an ACOG so I can't comment on their other scopes).

4x is never enough if you need to count tines on a deer at 150 yards.
2.5 - 10 is where you want to be in my opinion.
1-4 scopes are usually not great in low light cause they have small objectives.
The trijicon 2.5-10x56 is an awesome low light scope and has the triangle reticle available as well.

4x is never enough if you need to count tines on a deer at 150 yards.
2.5 - 10 is where you want to be in my opinion.
1-4 scopes are usually not great in low light cause they have small objectives.
The trijicon 2.5-10x56 is an awesome low light scope and has the triangle reticle available as well.

Not trying to be an azz, but I'd never use a scope to look at anything I wasn't prepared to shoot immediately. Everything you look at is a mistake away from having a bullet hole in it.

As far as the scope, the pre-64 begs for a classic hunting scope. Not a tacticool geewiz thing with 3 inch knobs on it.

The spacing of the scope bases is such that short tubed scopes like the 2-7 and 2.5-8 can leave you with no eye relief leeway or worse yet, not enough tube to reach the rings.

My favorite mounts for a pre-64 are either Talley steel mounts and rings, which offer reversible front bases to assist with short tubes, or Leupold Dual Dovetails, which are too far apart for anything shorter than a 3-9x. If you have an unmodified bolt handle, you may have clearance issue with leupold lows. Talley lows are perfect.

Not trying to be an azz, but I'd never use a scope to look at anything I wasn't prepared to shoot immediately. Everything you look at is a mistake away from having a bullet hole in it.

As far as the scope, the pre-64 begs for a classic hunting scope. Not a tacticool geewiz thing with 3 inch knobs on it.

The spacing of the scope bases is such that short tubed scopes like the 2-7 and 2.5-8 can leave you with no eye relief leeway or worse yet, not enough tube to reach the rings.

My favorite mounts for a pre-64 are either Talley steel mounts and rings, which offer reversible front bases to assist with short tubes, or Leupold Dual Dovetails, which are too far apart for anything shorter than a 3-9x. If you have an unmodified bolt handle, you may have clearance issue with leupold lows. Talley lows are perfect.

Really???
So when you are in the dark timber and an elk walks out 75 yards away you pull out your binoculars??
You usually have about 5 seconds to identify the animal is legal to shoot if your lucky.
Unless you watching a hunting show on the Outdoor channel. Then you have all the time in the world.

I like the Leupold VX2 line. New models use the same coatings as the earlier VX3 line. Best bang for the buck in my book. I have the VX2 3-9x40 CDS on all of my hunting rifles.

Leupold changed the reticle to the "windplex" from the simple duplex and closed out the duplex line. I bought a few on sale for $250. You can still find them at this price.

IMG_0447.JPG

P

Really???
So when you are in the dark timber and an elk walks out 75 yards away you pull out your binoculars??
You usually have about 5 seconds to identify the animal is legal to shoot if your lucky.
Unless you watching a hunting show on the Outdoor channel. Then you have all the time in the world.

Yep. I have 3 sets of binoculars. 8, 10, 15x. If I hunt timber, I use the 8x. I still-hunt with my binos in my left hand and my rifle in my right. They are on a harness and I just transition from binos to my rifle to shoot. Takes no extra time and its infinitely safer.

A scope is a sight, not an evaluation tool.

Yep. I have 3 sets of binoculars. 8, 10, 15x. If I hunt timber, I use the 8x. I still-hunt with my binos in my left hand and my rifle in my right. They are on a harness and I just transition from binos to my rifle to shoot. Takes no extra time and its infinitely safer.

A scope is a sight, not an evaluation tool.
Nice
Very impressed.

I like the Leupold VX2 line. New models use the same coatings as the earlier VX3 line. Best bang for the buck in my book. I have the VX2 3-9x40 CDS on all of my hunting rifles.

Leupold changed the reticle to the "windplex" from the simple duplex and closed out the duplex line. I bought a few on sale for $250. You can still find them at this price.

View attachment 435545

P

Pharm is hitting the nail on the head. As for those suggesting the 2.5-8x36, keep in mind the short mounting length of the tube. I believe it is only 5.1 inches. You have to be very selective with your mounts and rings when using one of these scopes. However, the vx2 3-9x40 and vx3 3.5-10x40 offer much more versatility in mounting, because of the longer tube. I will always run the Leupold dual dovetails on my pre 64's because they just look right and they are strong and hold zero very well. I've tried a myriad of mounts and found the DD's are the best. Of course your mileage may vary. As for good "hunting" scopes that fit a pre 64 action:

1. Burris ffII 3-9x40
2. Leupold 2-7x33, 1.75-6x32
3. Nikon 3-9x40
4. Nikon 2.5-10x42
5. Bushnell/Bausch and lomb Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 and 3-9x40
6. Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x44

I didn't suggest the Leupold 1.5-5x20 or something like the 6-18x40 because it didn't sound like the OP was looking for something with real low power or excessively high magnification.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top