JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
24 VDC and 120 VAC Portable Microwave Oven

shows a 24VDC, 425 watt microwave oven. With two 12VDC deep cycle 32 Amp-Hour batteries this strikes me as a method for cooking that could be supported by solar energy. The basic rating of the microwave is:

Standard AC - A retractable, built in 120 volt AC cord allows you to plug the microwave oven into standard electrical outlets. The AC cord conveniently retracts into the back of the microwave.

DC Direct to 24 volt Battery - The extra long 9 foot cable has alligator clamps to attach directly to any 24 volt vehicle or boat battery. In this power mode the 24 volt microwave oven delivers the same 425 watts of cooking power as the AC cord.

DC Vehicle Power Outlet - Allows you to plug the 24 volt microwave oven into a 24 volt vehicle power outlet rated at 20 amps or greater. Using the 20 amp vehicle power outlet, the microwave produces 155 watts of cooking power, great for reheating meals, warming coffee or heating convenience foods. Vehicle power outlets can't supply enough power for the 24 volt microwave to pop popcorn, although popcorn pops great using the other power options. Check your vehicle's owner's manual to make sure the outlets are rated at 20 amps or higher.

Microwave
AC Voltage - 120V/60Hz
DC Voltage - 24V
Input Current - AC (5.5A), DC Battery Direct (27A), DC Power Outlet (15A)
Output Current - AC (425 watts, DC Battery Direct (425 watts), DC Power Outlet (155 watts)
Shell Reinforced ABS plastic
Base Rubber footings
Exterior Width 15"
Exterior Depth 10"
Exterior Height 11"
Cooking Cavity Width 10"
Cooking Cavity Depth 7"
Cooking Cavity Height 6"
Net Weight 16.5 lbs
AC cord length 3'
DC direct connect cord length 9' with alligator clamps
DC power outlet cord length 5'

An hour use in the morning would consume 18 Amp-Hours of charge from the battery pair (9 Amp-Hours each). I looked at the Harbor Freight 45 watt solar panel kit and saw it produces 3.75 amps at 12VDC. So it would take this kit 9/3.75, or say 3 hours to recharge one battery, 6 hours to recharge both batteries. This would provide one hot meal a day (the cooking time with a 425 watt microwave oven will be about 3 times the time of an 1100 watt microwave ... so if it takes 20 minutes to cook in an 1100 watt microwave it ought get finished in an hour in the 425 watt unit). I can play around with this regarding bigger batteries, a second solar panel kit, a second pair of batteries, ....

My question though is, 'Has anyone setup a portable solar system for a SHTF situation ? If so would you share some of your hard earned wisdom ?

Good question, I've been looking at solar and wind alternatives but it seems the technology and price keeps changing and I'd like to play with it but not experiment with it.

Bill

That's what I did. Built up a small solar rig to test.

Actually works pretty well. All in all, spend money on batteries. That's where is counts.

I built 4 solar panels from crap i got off ebay. Only have used 1 battery at this point, but plan on buying a lot more.
Wind is also a very good idea, as is hydro. I plan to eventually incorporate all three into a power system.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top