JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, with really good ammo, out of say a10/22 with a .920 barrel, how far is.22LR accurate/effective to? I'm talking about more than just paper, more like going through 1/4" or 3/8" plywood. I'm considering building a accurate, "sniper" 10/22 for a SHTF gun, but don't want to waste money if a .22 looses all it's worth at say 500yds.

At 500yds its almost going straight down. That's assuming it hasn't hit dirt yet.

A good use of a .22 for that scenario might be a suppressed bolt gun and subsonic ammo. That way you can do stuff out to 150yds really well and nobody will know. But c'mon, it's still a deuce-deuce... cheap ammo is not always the best solution. And you are thinking you are gonna use "really good" ammo; which ends up costing the same as 556 per round.

I've gone through a bunch of different calibers shooting nutria and learned something quite awhile ago. It takes half a box of .22lr to make finally stop flipping me off and laughing at me. And even then they just swim back into their hole and wait for the wounds to heal. Now the Grendel, that had different results entirely.

Slimer13, so you'd let me shoot you at 200yds with a .22 then? I'm sure you are tuffer than a squirrel! Lol thanks for the replies.

Sometimes I embelish for dramatic results to make a point. I have shot small game at 100 yds (cant recall the ammo) with unsatisfactory results. The longest I have ever shot a .22 is 260 (rangefinder confirmed) at a plastic water bottle which it barely penetrated. Shooting my 10 22 with tacsol barrel (4 ft holdover).

.22 caliber rifles are wonderful out to about 100 yds for small game. after that you really need to go centerfire. over the years i have shot/killed a ton of small game at 100 yds and less. with the right arc .22s can hit what you are shooting at out to about to 200 yds or so but dont have much power when they get there ,we shot at a road sign at 185 yds one time, hit it pretty consistantly but dindnt penetrate. just puuush ting

At 500yds its almost going straight down. That's assuming it hasn't hit dirt yet.

Yep, straight down :s0112::
In this picture, the box was at 400 yds, and the cleaning rod is going through, showing the path of the bullet. As you can see, it's nearly straight down :p
img_0240.jpg

Now, as for the effectiveness of 22lr at long ranges: <broken link removed>
The pictures don't seem to be hosted any more, but suffice to say 22lr is still very effective out to 300 yds.

Yes it can be done, Rucker, myself and others have intentionally hit targets at long distances with a .22lr and I wouldn't want to be in its path...it would just be a bad day.

Do what others say can't be done and then ask them to repeat themselves. Good luck to you!

Yep, straight down :s0112::
In this picture, the box was at 400 yds, and the cleaning rod is going through, showing the path of the bullet. As you can see, it's nearly straight down :p
img_0240.jpg

Now, as for the effectiveness of 22lr at long ranges: <broken link removed>
The pictures don't seem to be hosted any more, but suffice to say 22lr is still very effective out to 300 yds.

Yah, but when you showed us that picture the "first" time, you said the box was lying flat on the ground when you shot it. :D

I just got a 10/22 Carbine, completely stock. I punch through plywood at 100 yards using 36 gr Remington Golden Bullets no problem. I got about 80% of those shots into an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper offhand using iron sights. I imagine with some nice glass you could get much smaller groups. Maybe not enough for varmint hunting, but enough to discourage a stubborn man.

500 yards is just no way. Not practical at least.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top