JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Magnum what? You can use CCI 41's (preferred by me), Small rifle (thinner so your firing pin might pierce but unlikely) and small rifle magnum primers BUT you need to work up a load and start about 1/2 grain less than the bottom end of the powder charge level.

I think Classic may have meant to say that small pistol primers will fit in the primer pocket, but are not recommended since the cup is thinner and may easily be blanked, or pierced, as rifle firing pins are typically driven by much larger, stronger springs than those in handguns.

A good rule of thumb concerning primers is that magnum primers are recommended for use in magnum cartridges, especially in conjunction with ball, or spherical, powders and standard primers are recommended in all other loads.

The trouble with using a magnum primer in a cartridge that does not call for one, is that you have no idea what the start pressure will be. This can sometimes be detrimental to the continued proper functioning of your firearm and possibly parts of your body. This is most applicable in cartridges that do not have a lot of space inside the case, like a 9mm Luger or .223 rem.

Last Edited:
Thanks for your input. I was told you could use magnum primer, it is hard to find small rifle primer locally, and I don't want to take any chances. Thanks again.

I've used small rifle magnum primers in .223 using H335 powder. Accuracy improved as a result. Speer loads in their manual almost always indicate using a magnum primer with ball powders, regardless of caliber.

Pay close attention as you approach max load if you do use magnum primers because they will increase pressures.

Or are you asking if you can use small pistol magnum primers in .223???

There are a couple things to consider when choosing what primer you are going to use. Does your firearm have a free floating firing pin such as an AR-15 or does it have a return spring such as most bolt action rifles? If it does have a free floating firing pin, you should be concerned about primer cup thickness to prevent unwanted primer piercing or slam fires on a potentially unsupported chamber. The second consideration is what type of powder are you using. Ball and spherical powders are typically harder to ignite than typical extruded or flake powders. In these situations, a hotter flash (ie magnum primer) might help with a more uniform ignition of the powder column and leading to increased powder burn efficiency and accuracy.

Winchester Small Rifle (WSR) - Standard Primer - 0.021" thick cup (Some advise against using with free floating firing pins)
Remington Small Rifle (6 1/2) - Standard Primer - 0.020" thick cup (not recommended for free floating firing pins)
Remington Small Rifle Bench Rest (7 1/2) - Magnum Primer - 0.025" thick cup
Federal Small Rifle (205) - Standard Primer - 0.0225" thick cup
Federal Small Rifle Match (205M) - Standard Primer - 0.0225" thick cup
CCI Small Rifle (400) - Standard Primer - 0.020" thick cup (Not recommended for free floating firing pins)
CCI Small Rifle Magnum (450) - Magnum Primer - 0.025" thick cup
CCI Small Rifle Benchrest (BR4) - Standard Primer - 0.025" thick cup
CCI Small Rifle NATO Spec (41) - Magnum Primer - 0.025" thick cup

Between using a magnum or a standard primer, if using a spherical or ball powder, it may be advised, but only trying will tell for sure. If you do switch to a magnum primer, be sure to back off the load and work back up. Hope this helps.

Last Edited:
Magnum what? You can use CCI 41's (preferred by me), Small rifle (thinner so your firing pin might pierce but unlikely) and small rifle magnum primers BUT you need to work up a load and start about 1/2 grain less than the bottom end of the powder charge level.

I think Classic may have meant to say that small pistol primers will fit in the primer pocket, but are not recommended since the cup is thinner and may easily be blanked, or pierced, as rifle firing pins are typically driven by much larger, stronger springs than those in handguns.

A good rule of thumb concerning primers is that magnum primers are recommended for use in magnum cartridges, especially in conjunction with ball, or spherical, powders and standard primers are recommended in all other loads.

The trouble with using a magnum primer in a cartridge that does not call for one, is that you have no idea what the start pressure will be. This can sometimes be detrimental to the continued proper functioning of your firearm and possibly parts of your body. This is most applicable in cartridges that do not have a lot of space inside the case, like a 9mm Luger or .223 rem.

Nope, I would never use a pistol primer in place of a rifle primer. My "magnum what?" comment was pointed at the OP lack of primer type (pistol or rifle) and then I clarified with a breakdown. I will say that Bockja said the same thing to a greater extent. I didn't feel like typing a book at the time:cool:

Ive been using CCI small rifle magnum primers with multiple powders with great results. A few have gotten near max loads with no negative results. The rifle is a Remington 700.
Ive used:
CFE223
Varget
8208XBR

CFE223 best results.... But alas I am about out, and have never seen another bottle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top