JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, that looks like it should do the trick...

Those groups do seem rather poor for that setup, but rather average for military ammo. You can usually expect 2-4 MOA with military ammo, with M855 usually being slightly worse than M193. The Frontier ammo looks good so far, and matches the usual reports of 1.25-1.5 MOA on average for Hornady FMJ. Your group looks better than average, with the exception of the one flier.

I am surprised at the poor grouping of the 75gr Hornady, though. That's the one I would have expected to perform better.

It might be worth spending the money on a few boxes of premium ammo to see what your rifle likes, and then try to duplicate it.

You might try some 69 & 77gr IMI Razor Core, which uses Sierra Match King projectiles. You could also try some Hornady Black or SST, or Nosler Ballistic Tips. Black Hills also has a good reputation for accuracy.

The Hornady 60gr SP bullets you have should do okay, but you really need to try some match bullets for better performance. Here's a few you might try:

Sierra 52gr BTHP or 53gr HP Match
Nosler 55gr Ballistic Tips or Varmageddon
Hornady 55gr V-Max or A-Max
Hornady 68gr or 75gr BTHP Match
Sierra 69gr or 77gr Match King
Nosler 69gr or 77gr Custom Competition

My personal best load for accuracy is using the Sierra 53gr HP Match and RL15 powder. I've managed a few 1/2" groups with this load, and I am far from a great marksman.

The only bullet I will warn you away from is the Hornady 75gr A-Max. It is too long to load for an AR-15. The 80gr+ bullets will probably fall into the same category.

Hope this helps!

E0B63AE0-2DAC-4D38-A3D9-2B7473226749.jpeg This the 62 and 75 grain ammo I have tried. And some miscellaneous 55gr ammo. Today I pick up some Sierra 69 match king to reload.

As mentioned, you may or may not need a SB die. Your chamber and the condition of the brass will dictate that.

Never used one, but I can definitely see the benefits of a case gauge.

The only rifle I've owned that needed SB sizing was a National Match M1A with a really tight chamber.

My BAR's do.
Well, actually my .300 Winny did. After that I bought SB dies for every calibre my BAR's are chambered for. I've used FL dies for .233/5.56 for a long time before I found a deal on the SB. I've never had a problem with my ammo in any AR. Same for the 7.62x39.

The 69s and 77s should shoot good, but the idea that a 1:7 twist is too fast for these lighter bullets is false.

Some of my best groups ever have been from shooting these 53gr SMKs out of a 20" 1:7 CHF barrel.
Like I said. Maybe, maybe not. I know faster twists can shoot well with lighter Bullets. They can also be pushed too fast and cause issues.

Like I said. Maybe, maybe not. I know faster twists can shoot well with lighter Bullets. They can also be pushed too fast and cause issues.

I've never been a problem shooting light bullets in a faster twist barrel as long as it's a good quality design. Some light bullets would come apart mid-flight spinning to quickly but that very rare anymore.

That being said, my experience reloading for highpower matches has led me to the conclusion that there is an optimal twist rate for each bullet weight/length. 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips are very accurate in my 1-8" Bushmaster DCM out to about 200 yards, then go all over the place. My buddy's 1-12" bolt rifle in .223 shot the same bullets very well out to 500+ yards on a good day.

This is one example, I've found similar effect in other calibers I reload for as well.

I've never been a problem shooting light bullets in a faster twist barrel as long as it's a good quality design. Some light bullets would come apart mid-flight spinning to quickly but that very rare anymore.

That being said, my experience reloading for highpower matches has led me to the conclusion that there is an optimal twist rate for each bullet weight/length. 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips are very accurate in my 1-8" Bushmaster DCM out to about 200 yards, then go all over the place. My buddy's 1-12" bolt rifle in .223 shot the same bullets very well out to 500+ yards on a good day.

This is one example, I've found similar effect in other calibers I reload for as well.
Agreed. One just has to try it to know.

I've got a savage 1:9 twist that shoots 77gr pills 1/2 MOA out to 600 (maybe beyond).

Rang steel at 1,000 yds with it too.

Just depends on several factors.

if you are going to shoot for accuracy for tight groups then you at least need to match prep the cases by uniforming the primer pockets and de-burring the flash holes. as for neck turning it all depends if you have a match chamber and how tight it is. all my AR ammo are done this way with the exception of turning the necks. and they all shoot tight from all my Ar's with commerical barrels. i just picked up 2 barrels from here.
AR-15 16" M4 Contour, 5.56 NATO 1:9, Stainless Barrel
the are $49.00 each. do they shoot..well you decide. this target was shot on thursday at 100 yds. the ammo i load is using 844 pulldown surplus powder from GI Brass Tula small rifle magnum primers and Hornandy 55 grn. FMJ bullet. works for me. they even shoot tight in my 1in8 twist. as for reloading dies...unless you have a tight chamber it doesn't matter the brand of barrel then you should be fine with the regular FL dies. oh yes the dies that i use are Forster Bench Rest dies loaded on a Dillon 550 oh and i don't crimp...and i moly coat my bullets. i am still a newbe at reloading as i have only been reloading since 1969. any ways i hope this info helps some of you here. if you would like more info PM me. to the Fathers here have a Happy Fathers Day. i left out one thing the rifle i shot this group has iron milspec sights.
Rick r 20180614_165848_001_1529020743776_001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR