JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
E51B7CEA-52AE-47DB-BCAF-1CC77EB2DF5C.jpeg This is what I got to start out. What I have for powder is vv N140, imr 3031 Varget, h414

Last Edited:
I don't think it matters. I would get a case gauge. Fit that, you're going to cycle just fine.
I just picked up a few from @LuckySG at his shop in Banks.

For 223, I have SB. I would use FL for a bolt rifle.
For 308, I have SB, FL and neck bump dies. Use the SB for my AR.

Even after using SB dies, some 308 cases do not fit the case gauge. I run 'em again moving the press more slowly, and if they still don't fit, I recycle them.

He_s_Right.png

A SB die will resize your brass even smaller than your standard F/L sizing die. Thus, also possibly affecting brass life.

Then.....
Semi-automatic (and F/A) chambered firearms are said to be "generous" in comparison to bolt actions. So, if a F/L sizer is good enough for a bolt gun.....then, why shouldn't it also be for a semi-auto?

OK, Ok, ok.....
You didn't mention your specific chamber. But, if it's a "run of the mill AR chamber".....IMHO, a F/L die would probably work well enough for you.

BTW, since we are on the subject......
You could also have a die set made up to your specific chamber. Cough, cough......I shudder to dream of the cost involved there.

I haven't found a problem with using F/L sizing dies so far (in conjunction with a headspace gauge). But, that's me. BTW.....you are getting a bit of "cam over" while resizing.....Rrrrright?

Aloha, Mark

I have both SB and FL dies, as well as an RCBS precision micrometer. I don't believe I've found a need for the SB dies yet.

As already mentioned, if you are camming over and setting the shoulder back properly, FL dies should work just fine.

491D18B0-8DC0-4163-A382-1423371A93F4.jpeg It's a colt 6960 ccu 5.56 chamber. I just got the dies today so I haven't used them yet. Need to clean my brass and settle on which powder to try first with my 60gr sp hornady. Trying for accuracy not plinking at this point. Sometime down the road I'm really thinking of getting a white oak armaments barrel in .223 wylde ss 18" maybe 20" in 1-8 twist
But for now I'm going to see what I can achieve with this barrel 16" 1-7.
I have tried several store bought ammo and the hornady frontier 55gr fmj shoot really good. This is the best group I shot with the frontiers other groups with in an inch as long as I don't over do the caffeine or get excited when I see a good group developing and throw a flier like in the picture doh!! And other brands or bullet weights not as good not horrible except the hornady 75gr they just did do well. I'll see if I have a picture of some of the groups (And this is with my new hiperfire 24c trigger)

@coyoteman5

What optics are you running? Before you start chasing accuracy, you should give us a rundown of your complete setup.

Were those groups with iron sights, a red dot, a 4x ACOG, or a 24x scope?

You could just be chasing your tail if your gear isn't up to the task.

Very nice rifle. I can see a lot of potential there. Keep working on those loads. Don't be afraid to try some 69gr sierra match kings or Hornady eldm's. My rifles really like the 73gr eldm.

It depends entirely on your rifles chamber. I won't load another round without a case guage because I loaded about 1000 rounds with a full length die that I now must pull and resize because my high dollar barrels have very picky chambers. I've had to sort through over a thousand rounds and separate the ones that don't pass the guage, and it's a lot! It depends on the brass also, these were military range brass... shot through who knows what. If it's fire formed to your guns chamber you could very well get away with an FL die, but I'd keep a SB around just in case.

These were all done on a RCBS FL die.. most were once fired LC military range brass...trimmed to minimum specs. About 250 were this bad and wouldn't work even in my most forgiving chambers. These will obviously need pulled and resized....
1C568BE7-327F-4500-99EC-22CFB2AC864A.jpeg

My Noveske Barrel will not accept even this, but I have some more forgiving chambers that will eat it right up about 500 were like this.
1F7EC5BB-D462-44EE-8FB1-0F2F3144CC5E.jpeg
They should all look like this, and only a few hundred were like this.
F786465B-5E9D-47A0-9EEA-9021993ED26A.jpeg
Case guage is a MUST HAVE!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top