JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im trying to work up a 75gr load for my AR and the only data seems to want the OAL too long for the magazines... like theyre intended for bolt guns only.

I know rounds exist... Ive had factory 75gr and 77gr ammo before and it fit the mag just fine... but according to the data I had, OAL would have to like .15 -.2 shorter.

Maybe its the powder?

Anyhow, I am looking for a load with the 75s that fit in a magazine...
Ive got 4064, W748 and 2000-mr

Any suggestions?

The OAL of some of the comments combined with their choices of powder indicate that loads they gave developed with a 75gr bullet in .223 are working in magazines.

The OAL of some of the comments combined with their choices of powder indicate that loads they gave developed with a 75gr bullet in .223 are working in magazines.
I think those are the BTHP. Not the eld match.

You can load them single, use them for a bolt action or sell or trade them for a similar weight bullet with a more blunt ogive (profile). You shove a bullet in too far and your going to lose neck tension and increase pressures due to the decreased space for powder.

Some bullets like the Hornady 75 A-Max and 80 SMK do not shoot well if they have to jump into the lands.
These bullets are loaded long on the lands or a few thousands off. They were designed to be single loaded
and will not fit the magazine. These are typically used in Highpower competition for the 600 yard stage which
is 'Single Load' only. For magazine length bullets I like the 77 SMK . Have used thousands of them over many years.
I do not have any experience with the Hornady 75 BTHP match bullets. My favorite recipe uses Winchester brass
77 SMK with 22.4 grains of IMR-8208 XBR, 2.260 OAL. I have used Varget and VV N140 for 77 SMK.
The IMR 8208 XBR meters perfectly out of my Dillon powder thrower. I weigh each charge for Varget and VV N140 . PIA:(
DSC00194.JPG

Some bullets like the Hornady 75 A-Max and 80 SMK do not shoot well if they have to jump into the lands.
These bullets are loaded long on the lands or a few thousands off. They were designed to be single loaded
and will not fit the magazine. These are typically used in Highpower competition for the 600 yard stage which
is 'Single Load' only. For magazine length bullets I like the 77 SMK . Have used thousands of them over many years.
I do not have any experience with the Hornady 75 BTHP match bullets. My favorite recipe uses Winchester brass
77 SMK with 22.4 grains of IMR-8208 XBR, 2.260 OAL. I have used Varget and VV N140 for 77 SMK.
The IMR 8208 XBR meters perfectly out of my Dillon powder thrower. I weigh each charge for Varget and VV N140 . PIA:(
View attachment 722255

It's been a long time since I've shot high power.

My loads are very similar. 77 grain Nosler BTHP, seated magazine length, with 24 grains of Varget for the 200 and 300 yard stages. 80 grain Nosler BTHP, seared about .010" before the lands, with 24 grains of Varget at 600 yards.

Great picture of Douglas Ridge...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR