JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok fellas, I'm about to embark on loading for the AR so me and my kids can practice....a lot. I have about 1200 once fired pieces we are working on brass prep with now. Looking for a good place to start as far as loads go. I know a lot of people like cci 400 and the powder choices are many. I'm thinking Benchmark, Varget or H335 as I can get those fairly easy. Probably go with 55 gr fmj for plinking.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated as my head is already jumbled with all the various sources I've looked at.

Thanks.

For 55gr in .223 I use 4198 and for .556 I use 4895.

I recommend you work up various powders with a number of loads and see what your firearm likes. If you just want to throw lead, almost any published load will work. But IMO the fun is in tuning loads for accuracy.

Edit: I should have said I use 4895 for heavy bullets... I have a 1/8 twist barrel that likes all bullet weights in moderation. I don't reload .556 however. Jeez, I need to be more careful with my after bedtime posts!

Last Edited:
Case gauge.

CCI 400's and CFE-223 is a great combo with 55gr pills. 26.2gr works great for me in my bolt rifle. but as always work up loads.

AR platform too?

I stated I use that in a bolt rifle. 26.0-27.8gr is the load spread. 27.8 comes close to being a compressed load. See specs. I stated the 26.2gr because it's the load I use AND its within published load data.

IIRC it's somewhere around $.21 per round for me to load my bullets. I don't shoot FJM, I shoot a soft point. Same load for softies and FMJ just make sure if your FMJ has cannelure to seat to that depth with 1.750" length brass.

When it's as cheap to shoot soft points as FMJ, why not develop a load that you can go bust rabbits or coyote or even deer hunt with when it's so darn cheap!!

Hornady 55 Grain Soft Point with Cannelure (250 count) - .223/5.56(.224) - Rifle Bullets Northeast Target and Shooting Supply www.nereloading.com
$80/1000 shipped to your door.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.25.16 PM.png

Don't you love the reloading section? So much technical data to have fun with.

You could always start at 25.5gr and work your way from there. Get yourself a good data reloading book.

223 Remington Load Data - Handloads.Com
I would avoid that site, much better to have a published book load especially if one is starting out with the caliber.

Last Edited:
You can spend money and time trying many different powders. o_Oo_O
Or learn from others experience. This is my $.02 from my actual
experience not something I have read or heard of. I have so many
1 pounder's of powder that I experimented with and don't use.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
I like CFE 223. Have used it a little bit. Powders that work well with the heavier
bullets (69 and up) don't work as well with lighter bullets. A powder that I
have been using for 55 and lighter bullets is W 748. It is the most
consistent metering powder I have ever used. Other powders like Varget
are great for 77s but it does not work well for 55s. W 748 with 53 SMKs
is my favorite load for 100 yard reduced course competition. 55s are inexpensive
and great for practice. Don't expect sub 1 inch groups @100 yards. Now
someone will show this not to be true in a particular set up.o_O I am referring to
general results in an average rifle. I like 55s but don't expect sub MOA.
I have reloaded and shot over 10,000 55 fmj Win. bullets.
The 55 Hornady's or IMI's are more accurate than the Win. bullets. :cool:

I would avoid that site, much better to have a published book load especially if one is starting out with the caliber.
This right here is the most valuable advice that you will ever get. Validate all recommended loads with reputable reloading manuals and powder manufacturers load data. Having several sources to cross check against will ensure you minimize the opportunity for catastrophes...

Just my .02 and worth every penny paid for it...

Get started - decaping, case and primer pocket cleaning then trimming and deburring, but not 1,200 rounds. Pick out a hundred or so with the same head stamp and date if military and start the learning process.
Most importantly ""KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY from the brass cases, they contain lead!
Also away from Lead projectiles and primer pockets etc.''' if you want them to do well in school and have a normal brain as an adult.
Ware gloves if you choose as an adult you will be fine, your brain is mostly developed.
Lead poisoning is no joke and it just loves children.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
Agreed. This was just pulled to show him there's a ton of info out there. A reloading guide is the safest way to get real specs.

I stated I use that in a bolt rifle. 26.0-27.8gr is the load spread. 27.8 comes close to being a compressed load. See specs. I stated the 26.2gr because it's the load I use AND its within published load data.

IIRC it's somewhere around $.21 per round for me to load my bullets. I don't shoot FJM, I shoot a soft point. Same load for softies and FMJ just make sure if your FMJ has cannelure to seat to that depth with 1.750" length brass.

When it's as cheap to shoot soft points as FMJ, why not develop a load that you can go bust rabbits or coyote or even deer hunt with when it's so darn cheap!!

Hornady 55 Grain Soft Point with Cannelure (250 count) - .223/5.56(.224) - Rifle Bullets Northeast Target and Shooting Supply www.nereloading.com
$80/1000 shipped to your door.

View attachment 341366

Don't you love the reloading section? So much technical data to have fun with.

I hope someone chimes in on also how the different powders have different measuring capabilities. Some powders are heavy grained , some are more like a table salt. The CFE223 is the only thing I've tried from the advice of a master reloader. Measures well in my 650, but again it's the only thing I've tried and I'm really new as well to reloading.

For "practice" rounds with 55gn bulk bullets, I would stay with the "spherical" powders. They're just easier to work with. Quicker, and easier to measure. So, H335, W748, CFE 223, BL-C(2), TAC, AA2200.
Don't get "stick" powders for bulk loading. They are good for when you slow down and make up "precision" loads. Varget, powders with four numbers... 3031, 4895, 4198, 4064, AR-COMP.

I would get a good reloading manual and a second electric scale to double check powder levels. And good case lube like Hornady one shot. Take your time starting out, and I avoided loading anything hot. Many of the powder companies provide load info you can print online. Have fun and see what your rifle likes to eat. H335 or Accurate 2230 has worked for me , Varget was just OK. 1\7 twist 55-69 grain 1\9 twist 45-60 grain. Separate the LC brass and reload its own run. Imop :)

Last Edited:
After I get mine cleaned up and resized I check the case length. Most range brass I pick up is way longer the the length range in my reloading manuals. I believe I trim to 1.755"-middle of the range. Then I start the primer crimp removal process. After all that, sorted by headstamp in lots.
Ball and spherical powders are great as someone else mentioned for metering. Longer grain powders, I set light and trickle. Just me, Good Luck:)

Great info guys, thank you. My plan is to get all the brass ready, then do a small test batch or three and see what my rifle likes. Once I find a recipe it likes, a friend has a 650 and is going to help me mass produce. I'll update when I get further along.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top