JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, looking for some input here...

I'm trying out some new (to me) components and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I'm looking to reload some 223/556 for my bushmaster m4. What I have to work with right now is:
H335, CCI No. 41 primers, 55 gr FMJBT, mixed brass (1x, all through my rifle). These will be for general range practice, etc. Not looking to shoot dime sized groups at 100 yds or anything.

My speer manual gives a range of 24.0 - 26.0 gr of H335, while others out there in the interwebs say they go up to 26.5 or more.

I thought it would be worth seeing if anyone here has used this combination before, and might be able to offer some advice or throw in their 2cents.

Thanks in advance!

If the brass is 5.56 use a lighter load. there is just slightly less case capacity and the pressures will be higher. Also, make sure you have a 5.56 barrel. if not you will need to trim the 5.56 brass down a little. I personally only run 25 gr of h355.

If you are just wanting rounds that can be shot and are not for precision then 25gr is the way to go. it will be accurate enough, and you will get a couple more loads out of a pound. I like medium to lighter loads so the brass lasts longer.

Ow and (shameless plug for myself coming) If you need any more 5.56 brass i have over 100,000 that have already been cleaned. and if you want to save yourself some time loading i have others that have had the primer removed, crimp swagged. Check out our site for product list, and PM me if you are interested. we offer a discount to any NWFA members.

Hey all, looking for some input here...

I'm trying out some new (to me) components and would greatly appreciate any advice.

I'm looking to reload some 223/556 for my bushmaster m4. What I have to work with right now is:
H335, CCI No. 41 primers, 55 gr FMJBT, mixed brass (1x, all through my rifle). These will be for general range practice, etc. Not looking to shoot dime sized groups at 100 yds or anything.

My speer manual gives a range of 24.0 - 26.0 gr of H335, while others out there in the interwebs say they go up to 26.5 or more.

I thought it would be worth seeing if anyone here has used this combination before, and might be able to offer some advice or throw in their 2cents.

Thanks in advance!

I just want to list a little note on taking peoples info on reloading. I would just stick with the manuals you have and follow them. The reason I say this I know an individual that tried someones load that was written on paper and guess what? His barrel is no longer functional. Information and tips are great but use your manuals and work up to different loads. One load in your gun most likely be different in my gun. This is just advice though. Good luck.

I just want to list a little note on taking peoples info on reloading. I would just stick with the manuals you have and follow them. The reason I say this I know an individual that tried someones load that was written on paper and guess what? His barrel is no longer functional. Information and tips are great but use your manuals and work up to different loads. One load in your gun most likely be different in my gun. This is just advice though. Good luck.

sound advice.

The Accurate large reloading manual gives many loads for the 223 Remington, or the 5.56 round. I have settled on a 23gr load of Aa 2230. Being load for the 55gr fmj and works well. The same load will work on Ramshot X-terminator powder as well. Just my .02c/worth

For my 1 in 9" twist 16" barreled AR's using .223 brass, 55 grn FMJBT's, and small rifle primers, 25.5 grains of H335 seems to be the sweet spot.

With 52 grain Hornady HPBT they like 26 grains of H335. I treat these as my special rounds and try to use only the once fired Remington brass I had saved from the days before I was reloading. Also, these Hornady bullets do not have cannelures.

I started at 24grns for the 55 FMJBT's and went to up to 26 grns before settling on 25.5 grns. Let the barrel cool between shot strings when working up loads.
And don't think that it is impossible to shoot dime-sized groups @ 100yrds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top