JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of really old shooters are using red dots, lol. I prefer iron sights but age has caught up with me and they are no longer a good option for speed steel.

I resemble that remark! :)

it would take way too long to top of the tube dropping one round at a time into the loading port not to mention the chance of waving a muzzle around as you try to do this quickly.

Thanks, I had not considered the reloading aspect of a lever. Good idea!

As far as what I shoot, I have a Buckmark with a cheapie TruGlo red dot on it. I'm even having trouble seeing the smaller dot moa, especially in the sun. Going to change it over to a c-more with a much larger dot.
Then I use a M&P 15-22 with a Vortex Spitfire which no longer works either. No red dot and only way I can see the circle inside is to increase the magnification/focus so much it looks like the target is right in my face, which isn't an advantage. Probably going to put a c-more on it too, but a slightly smaller moa than what is going on the Buckmark. Rifle ain't my thing, so I guess I should probably practice.
Oh to be young again and have good vision and quick reflexes :)

As far as what I shoot, I have a Buckmark with a cheapie TruGlo red dot on it. I'm even having trouble seeing the smaller dot moa, especially in the sun. Going to change it over to a c-more with a much larger dot.
Then I use a M&P 15-22 with a Vortex Spitfire which no longer works either. No red dot and only way I can see the circle inside is to increase the magnification/focus so much it looks like the target is right in my face, which isn't an advantage. Probably going to put a c-more on it too, but a slightly smaller moa than what is going on the Buckmark. Rifle ain't my thing, so I guess I should probably practice.
Oh to be young again and have good vision and quick reflexes :)
Wondering if green dot would be a better option in sunny conditions?

Do any of you participants care to share what gun(s) and optics you used?

Here is my hardware story. I've only shot this type of match 3 times, all this year with my 16yr old son. So take my level of experience into account here. I've been a classified highpower and smallbore shooter for years and dabbled in bullseye for context so I'm not a total noob when it comes to running guns in competition. Since this was a new type of shooting for us we started with what we had.

Match 1:

Bone stock tapered barreled 10/22's. Factory sights and factory triggers in the 6 - 7 pound range. We did awful score wise, but we did awesomely well if you are measuring fun. We both had such a good time that we stopped at Brimstone Gunsmithing on the drive home and left our trigger groups for their Tier II treatment (which is so awesome that I can't begin to recommend them highly enough).

Match 2:

We are both tall, so the rifles are now in MagPul's Hunter X-22 stocks using all four spacers. My son installed a spare 4x hunting scope I had sitting free and I pulled a 1-4x tactical scope from one of my AR Service Rifles. I ran the scope at 1 power the whole match. Having a longer stock was a huge benefit, and my 1x scope did fine as it has a pretty basic reticle and it was not too difficult to pick up the targets. The new triggers were amazing! My son had trouple finding the targets with the 4x scope, but our scores went up and the fun factor stayed topped out.

Match 3:

We scored a couple of really inexpensive entry level red dot scopes from the classifieds here so they are now on the rifles. The dot sights are far far superior to the crosshairs my son was using and far superior to the tactical area reticle I had used on my 1-4x. When the rifles were running well out times really bottomed out. We had some equipment issues so our overall scores stayed pretty consistent with the first but the fun factor is still on the top of the scale. If we only look at the problem free runs our scores really climbed once again.

For Pistol we use a stock 5.5 inch Ruger Mk II Target model. It did well, but it has a trigger that I can no longer accept now that I have a Brimstone in my 10/22 so a full trigger kit and stocks are coming in from Brownell's as I type! I picked up a low end red dot to put on this puppy too.

So, can you guess we like these matches? Having the right gear makes a big difference for sure, it's no fun when you are fighting your equipment. It does not have to cost much for this match though. We already had the rifles so new stocks on sale ($95 each) Tier II trigger ($78 each) some $20 red dot scopes (no recoil to worry about here) and a bunch of extra magazines is all we had to put into it. If you want to do trigger work yourself there are a ton of Web videos out there showing you what to do and Brownell's list a number of drop in kits. I've done a ton of trigger work on .45's and such so I can do the work, but will never touch a 10/22 again now that I've found the Brimstone guys. No I don't work for them!

Regarding magazines, we have had great luck with the 10-rounders in the Tri-Mag magazine coupler:

https://www.brownells.com/magazines.../10-22-trimag-magazine-coupler-prod32500.aspx

These balance well, and make for a really quick reload between strings of fire.

Long here, I know … sorry! I hope it's helpful seeing our journey. Now that we seem to be set rifle wise we are out of excuses for our scores!

Last Edited:
Wondering if green dot would be a better option in sunny conditions?
I like green better in the sun, red in the dim light. My cheapie dot scope offers both colors.

My son's scope offers only red but you can change the dot size choosing 3 - 5 - 7 or 9 MOA. He ran is on Saturday's match and liked that he could dial up the dot size on the pistol phase and slightly decrease the size on the rifle courses of fire.

Here is my hardware story. I've only shot this type of match 3 times, all this year with my 16yr old son. So take my level of experience into account here. I've been a classified highpower and smallbore shooter for years and dabbled in bullseye for context so I'm not a total noob when it comes to running guns in competition. Since this was a new type of shooting for us we started with what we had.

Match 1:

Bone stock tapered barreled 10/22's. Factory sights and factory triggers in the 6 - 7 pound range. We did awful score wise, but we did awesomely well if you are measuring fun. We both had such a good time that we stopped at Brimstone Gunsmithing on the drive home and left our trigger groups for their Tier II treatment (which is so awesome that I can't begin to recommend them highly enough).

Match 2:

We are both tall, so the rifles are now in MagPul's Hunter X-22 stocks using all four spacers. My son installed a spare 4x hunting scope I had sitting free and I pulled a 1-4x tactical scope from one of my AR Service Rifles. I ran the scope at 1 power the whole match. Having a longer stock was a huge benefit, and my 1x scope did fine as it has a pretty basic reticle and it was not too difficult to pick up the targets. The new triggers were amazing! My son had trouple finding the targets with the 4x scope, but our scores went up and the fun factor stayed topped out.

Match 3:

We scored a couple of really inexpensive entry level red dot scopes from the classifieds here so they are now on the rifles. The dot sights are far far superior to the crosshairs my son was using and far superior to the tactical area reticle I had used on my 1-4x. When the rifles were running well out times really bottomed out. We had some equipment issues so our overall scores stayed pretty consistent with the first but the fun factor is still on the top of the scale. If we only look at the problem free runs our scores really climbed once again.

For Pistol we use a stock 5.5 inch Ruger Mk II Target model. It did well, but it has a trigger that I can no longer accept now that I have a Brimstone in my 10/22 so a full trigger kit and stocks are coming in from Brownell's as I type! I picked up a low end red dot to put on this puppy too.

So, can you guess we like these matches? Having the right gear makes a big difference for sure, it's no fun when you are fighting your equipment. It does not have to cost much for this match though. We already had the rifles so new stocks on sale ($95 each) Tier II trigger ($78 each) some $20 red dot scopes (no recoil to worry about here) and a bunch of extra magazines is all we had to put into it. If you want to do trigger work yourself there are a ton of Web videos out there showing you what to do and Brownell's list a number of drop in kits. I've done a ton of trigger work on .45's and such so I can do the work, but will never touch a 10/22 again now that I've found the Brimstone guys. No I don't work for them!

Regarding magazines, we have had great luck with the 10-rounders in the Tri-Mag magazine coupler:

https://www.brownells.com/magazines.../10-22-trimag-magazine-coupler-prod32500.aspx

These balance well, and make for a really quick reload between strings of fire.

Long here, I know … sorry! I hope it's helpful seeing our journey. Now that we seem to be set rifle wise we are out of excuses for our scores!
Thanks for the write-up. I enjoyed hearing this story in short during our match and appreciate the detailed version. I am very interested in improving my scores as well and enjoy hearing/reading other people's stories of successes, failures, troubleshooting and upgrading.

Although I can't remember all your names, I would like to thank you for a great day. You made this old beginner feel welcome.

A belated thank you for an excellent rim fire challenge ! For some reason unknown to me NWF was not allowing me to comment on the site. It has taken all this time to fix and I don't know what I did to fix it.
Rich

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top