.22 Rimfire Challenge @ DRRC July 14th

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by Kimber Custom, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA
    Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Believe it or not, it's time for our 3rd Rimfire Challenge of the year! July 14th we will have all the steel out, lunch will be served and awards will be handed out.

Due to popular demand we will be adding a Top Senior (55+ years young) category.

I've also been informed that if I go back to hot dogs and chili that there will be rioting - I guess that means we will stick with the pulled pork this time around.

Keep an eye on this thread - I'm not going to do a formal pre-registration but I am going to put out a sheet that you can bring with you filled out to speed up the registration process. This will allow the registration folks to fill in the details like your name and categories after we get started shooting.

Per usual - I'll be at the range at 0730 doing setup. Bring the whole family out and a good time will be had by all.

DLS, Tarawa86 and Happyshooter like this.
  2. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Looking forward to it!

Kimber Custom likes this.
  3. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA

T minus 7 days

NWGlockgal likes this.
  4. DLS

DLS
    Battle Ground

Pre filled sheets are a great idea! I'm in.

5. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA

Here's a flyer and a pre-registration sheet if you want to fill one out before you arrive. We will have them on site Saturday morning too if the line gets too long.

Rimfire flyer.jpg registration worksheet.jpg

Happyshooter and Superglide like this.
  6. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA

So that big radiation ball in the sky will be in full view tomorrow - if you happen to have a canopy for some sun shade, please do bring it.

Mister Bisley likes this.
  7. Kristina

Kristina
    Portland, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Well, I shot like cr@p but at least had fun while doing it! Thanks @Kimber Custom for the fun event and pulled pork, and thanks @Mister Bisley for showing us the ropes. I’m looking forward to the next one in October!

8. DLS

DLS
    Battle Ground

Same here … great day as always. My shooting was a bit on the 'eh' side but my son and I had a blast as always. We shot with some very nice folks, the food was great and the course was a great mix of easy and a bit "more fun"!

Thanks @Kimber Custom, you and your family do a splendid job!

9. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2018 Volunteer

It was a blast as always. Lunch was great and the company was even better. Looking forward to the October shoot. Thanks to all who brought pop-ups for shade and congrats to Conner for winning Overall Champ....again!

Kimber Custom and Kristina like this.
  10. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal
    Oregon

Thank you Ben and family for putting on another great match!

11. amnesiac503

amnesiac503
    Portland
    Member 2016 Volunteer

Great time as always. Such a well run event, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Mister Bisley and Kristina like this.
  12. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA

Thank you all for the kind words. It's a labor of love for sure :).

Little smaller group this time with only 39 shooters. It was a little warm but we managed to be off the range before it got unbearable.

Thanks again for the extra donations on the prize table and for everyone sticking around to clean up.

I'm afraid we have the usual suspects in the winners circles. If Conner wins in Oct, he'll be undefeated in 2018 :eek:.

Here are the results. See you all in October for our last event of the year.

Almost forgot the pictures I took: https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5b6KnSx1aGptxKGA

Looks like only AM pistol. Hopefully somebody else was running a camera and can share some pictures of the rifle side.

July 14 final.jpg

DLS, Mister Bisley and Kristina like this.
  13. Superglide

Superglide
    Clackamas OR

I hope to be at the next one. Lets hope for warm and sunny then too. :cool:

Do any of you participants care to share what gun(s) and optics you used?

DLS, Kimber Custom and Mister Bisley like this.
  14. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville

I used a 10/22 with a 2.5x20 scope and a Browning Buck Mark pistol with HI-VIZ front sight thanks to @Kristina

I feel like a lot of the really quick shooters are using red dots

Superglide and Kristina like this.
  15. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom
    Vancouver, WA

The best gun to use is the most reliable gun. Jams and misfires hurt your score the most. We throw out your worst time and we give you a mulligan at each stage but if the gun isn't running smoothly; it will show in the scores.

Red dots are the best with the caveat that you have to be super consistent with your sight alignment. If you lose the red dot, you waste a lot of time looking for it. Have your stance correct and maintaining your form throughout the stage take practice.

Make sure everything stays tight. Use thread locker to make sure nothing backs out on you. Find ammo that your guns likes. Run a brick or two through them before you come out for best results.

All that being said, it's all about fun. Come out and enjoy the camaraderie, the smell of gunpowder and ring of steel.

16. Kristina

Kristina
    Portland, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

The majority of people are using Ruger 10/22s and Ruger Mark series pistols.

Mister Bisley and Superglide like this.
  17. Superglide

Superglide
    Clackamas OR

Thanks MisterB
    I would bet the 10/22 was the rifle of choice. I will look into red dots, as I have never used one before. I need to research sizes, etc.

KimberCustom, thanks for the invite! I will likely have a Ruger Mark in some form or another. Conner has no worries though from me.

Mister Bisley likes this.
  18. Superglide

Superglide
    Clackamas OR

Thanks, I was betting that is the case.
    Anyone run a lever action rifle? That would be my most reliable (but probably too slow). It hits what I aim at though. ;)

19. Mister Bisley

Mister Bisley
    Wilsonville

Much too slow to be competitive, but you might get first place in having the most fun.

It would probably take about 1 second to work the lever, acquire target and get the shot off, so you would be looking at 6-8 seconds per run, assuming there aren’t any misses.

For perspective, Connor’s quickest stage on rifle was 11.45 seconds, which would be an avg of 2.86 seconds per run....yowzers!!

Kristina and Superglide like this.
  20. DLS

DLS
    Battle Ground

I'm going to bring my BL-22 to one of these matches one day. It won't be competitive against the semi-autos, but it would be a blast to shoot. And having a good time with good folks is why I like these type of matches.

Before I do that however I need to get a bunch of tubular magazine reloaders. At the DRRC match you have five runs of shooting at each station. Say you do your first run and say you shoot just 7 rounds because you are good! (six targets and a stop plate). If I have LR rounds in my BL-22 and start with a full magazine of 15, I now have only 8 rounds left in the gun.

So I either better be really good on the next run and miss a maximum of one time or I will run out of ammo mid stream and the clock will be running as I try to quickly reload a tubular magazine while keeping everything pointed in a safe direction.

Not a good scenario, it would take way too long to top off the tube dropping one round at a time into the loading port not to mention the chance of waving a muzzle around as you try to do this quickly.

So I've been thinking I need about 6-10 tube reloaders say in the 5 round size. That way I could quickly top off the magazine without overflowing it, and I would not need to keep a real close count on the rounds fired. Shoot through the run, top off, shoot , top off with another reloader … you get the idea. Once off the line I would then recharged the reloaders for the next station.

I would also bring to the line a small box to catch unfired rounds. Once you have run your 5 strings you will be required to "unload and show clear" before you case your rifle and leave the line. Having a small box to empty the tubular magazine into will speed the process and keep things contained.

This way you could shoot your lever gun, and not hold up the flow of the match. So … you see this would only make sense if you want to do it just because you want to do it. You will never place well, but if that's not important then so what?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018