JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How much drop are you guys experiencing at 100 yards? How much do you have to hold over to hit the bulls eye, assuming you're maybe sighted for 25 yards?

I have 2 22's that are "accurate" (meaning consistent) at 100 yards but there sure is a lot of bullet drop. I never thought of a .22lr as a 100 yard round.

How much allowance do you have to give yours?

The 10/22 I "have/had" is a newer one with a plastic trigger group. I have looked into trigger jobs, it may be possible, but most say replace the entire trigger assembly. That plus the barrel, lead me to drop the 10/22 and get the Savage bolt. From what Im gathering, with that rifle and the right ammo I should be able to pull off sub MOA groups at 100 even if I have to compensate for drop. As long as the gun shoots consistently, I don't care. If the 'right' round for that gun shoots 2" low every time, I can adjust. IF the 22lr is not capable of consistanacy at that distance, then the heck with it and Ill go 17HMR.

Thanks again to everyone

I just pulled a selection of old targets I keep in my shooting box. Firstly, you have to realise that I don't have any high-falutin' stuff like you guys, although many of us over here do.

I shoot RWS Rifle - NOT the match - as it is a good price for over here, and we have half a gazillion rounds in the clubhouse.

Here y'are -

1. 1957 BSA Martini International Left-hand Match rifle - Unertl x18 2" Target scope - average 100m group is 7/8".

2. 1962 BSA Martini International Right-hand rifle with custom laminated thumhole stock- Tasco 20x40mm scope that looks like a Unertl - you know the one I mean - average 100m group is just under 7/8".

1967 Anschutz 1409 thumb-hole stock - same scope deal as above, but x16 - average 100m group just over 1/2"

Shot off a Calder heavy rest with a butt bag.

My pal, Scott, has a Ruger 10/22 with the heavy SS barrel, and regularly shoots 1/2" groups with at least three different types of ammunition, but he's a good shot.

tac

I just pulled a selection of old targets I keep in my shooting box. Firstly, you have to realise that I don't have any high-falutin' stuff like you guys, although many of us over here do.

I shoot RWS Rifle - NOT the match - as it is a good price for over here, and we have half a gazillion rounds in the clubhouse.

Here y'are -

1. 1957 BSA Martini International Left-hand Match rifle - Unertl x18 2" Target scope - average 100m group is 7/8".

2. 1962 BSA Martini International Right-hand rifle with custom laminated thumhole stock- Tasco 20x40mm scope that looks like a Unertl - you know the one I mean - average 100m group is just under 7/8".

1967 Anschutz 1409 thumb-hole stock - same scope deal as above, but x16 - average 100m group just over 1/2"

Shot off a Calder heavy rest with a butt bag.

My pal, Scott, has a Ruger 10/22 with the heavy SS barrel, and regularly shoots 1/2" groups with at least three different types of ammunition, but he's a good shot.

tac

Do your groups get bigger if you shoot while walking on water? Ok, not saying it isn't possible but I've never seen such accurate 22 shooting, since the bullet drop on a hv 22 is 2.5 inches at 100 yards you must have magic ammo. Also, no mention of weather conditions or side winds, humm.

The 10/22 I "have/had" is a newer one with a plastic trigger group. I have looked into trigger jobs, it may be possible, but most say replace the entire trigger assembly. That plus the barrel, lead me to drop the 10/22 and get the Savage bolt. From what Im gathering, with that rifle and the right ammo I should be able to pull off sub MOA groups at 100 even if I have to compensate for drop. As long as the gun shoots consistently, I don't care. If the 'right' round for that gun shoots 2" low every time, I can adjust. IF the 22lr is not capable of consistanacy at that distance, then the heck with it and Ill go 17HMR.

Thanks again to everyone

17Hmr is great, superconsistent ammo, the Hornady I shoot seems far superior to even the match grade 22 I've used. You'll need at least a 24 power rifle scope to see the tiny holes in the target. My cheap, single shot H&R is a 1.25 moa shooter at 100 yards, and I prob. couldn't shoot anything better than that off of sandbags.

Gave up on 10/22's and tried CZ bolt in .22 LR Very good...
But my most accurate I sold, and have been trying to find another since.
Krico. Krico is a german manufacturer and they are imported to the USA. If you'll look close the larger Krico is a multi-thousand dollar "Blazer" in different dress.
I had my Krico in Australia for AUD $325.00 Bolt repeater with 5 rd. magazine and shnobel front end. When we got bored punching holes in paper at 100yds. we would stand spent 22 lr casings on the target rail and call which one we would shoot next. This accuracy was attained with at least 4 different brands of off the shelf CCI & WIN ammo. And a mid range 3 x 9 weaver. This was my "porsche" of .22lrs and I'll have another asap. One of the few guns I ever regretted letting go. I've shot Anschutz, and CZ, and they're good... but they can't touch the KRICO.

I habitually buy less-than-75-dollar .22 bolt action rifles from gun shows and friends that shoot better than most people are capable of. I'd say that in the world of .22s a bolt action is the only way to fly though I do own several semi autos. I'm from Kansas and our old Marlins and Iver Johnsons have done things you wouldn't believe if I tried to tell you. You just need a bolt action or a rolling block if you don't want to wait for a gunsmith to redo your rifle. If you're just punching paper at known distance then a scope is appropriate I guess but iron sights are quick and very precise and are simple to hold for bullet drop and wind as well as lead. Most folks have trouble finding point of aim instantly with a scope at distances before and after zero, or point you have chosen where your line of sight intersects with your bullet. (Which actually happens at two points.) Last fall I dropped a buzzard in flight in front of 3 friends, at over 200yds, with my second shot. :s0155: iron sights

Do your groups get bigger if you shoot while walking on water? Ok, not saying it isn't possible but I've never seen such accurate 22 shooting, since the bullet drop on a hv 22 is 2.5 inches at 100 yards you must have magic ammo. Also, no mention of weather conditions or side winds, humm.

Well, sarcasm and accusations of lying aside, I was rather hoping somebody was going to come along and say what p*ss-poor shooting that was for a target rifle. I assure you that if you are into .22 rimfire BR that this is pretty dire shooting for a high-grade barrelled .22 rimfire, and would get you laffed at. Remember that these targets of mine are shot on a range with embanked sides - wind doesn't come into it much, and in any case, we shoot between the windy bits, that's why we have wind flags.

The average 50m group is around 1/4" to be competitive, and that is shooting with target diopter sights, let alone a stonking big optic like the usual .x45 Leupold.

Please check your ballistic tables, BTW, for the bullet drop of .22 rimfire at 100yd/m. Here is a set for average quality standard and high-speed ammunition -

(Zeroed at 50 yds) 25 yds 50 yds 75 yds 100 yds
.22 Rimfire (Standard)
40 gr. Bullet
1050 fps
- 0 - - 0 - - 2.25" - 7.0"
.22 Rimfire (High Speed)
40 gr. Bullet
1260 fps
+ .25" - 0 - - 1.5" - 4.75"

The stuff that I shoot drops almost 8 inches, and I can watch them as they do it in a big scope.

BTW - please read the post from the guy with the Krico. I believe it. I have a 650SS in .308Win that is over 20 years old, and STILL shoots 3/4MOA all day long. Often less, if I'm really careful.

tac, the non-liar

Well, sarcasm and accusations of lying aside, I was rather hoping somebody was going to come along and say what p*ss-poor shooting that was for a target rifle. I assure you that if you are into .22 rimfire BR that this is pretty dire shooting for a high-grade barrelled .22 rimfire, and would get you laffed at.
tac.... I wish that I could say that was poor shooting...but in the big scheme of .22's ...(from Ruger 10-22's to Annies and KRICO's and Brno's and Izzies') and shooters....(Plinkers to smallbore High Masters)...that is still fair or better shooting..:):):):)

But that reminds me of a sign I saw once in a car shop; (How fast do you want to go??????How much do you want to spend?????)

Small bore shooters that have put in the time ..and have matched ammo to rifle.....and have a good to great rifle...are capable of amazing accuracy...

Well, sarcasm and accusations of lying aside, I was rather hoping somebody was going to come along and say what p*ss-poor shooting that was for a target rifle. I assure you that if you are into .22 rimfire BR that this is pretty dire shooting for a high-grade barrelled .22 rimfire, and would get you laffed at. Remember that these targets of mine are shot on a range with embanked sides - wind doesn't come into it much, and in any case, we shoot between the windy bits, that's why we have wind flags.

The average 50m group is around 1/4" to be competitive, and that is shooting with target diopter sights, let alone a stonking big optic like the usual .x45 Leupold.

Please check your ballistic tables, BTW, for the bullet drop of .22 rimfire at 100yd/m. Here is a set for average quality standard and high-speed ammunition -

(Zeroed at 50 yds) 25 yds 50 yds 75 yds 100 yds
.22 Rimfire (Standard)
40 gr. Bullet
1050 fps
- 0 - - 0 - - 2.25" - 7.0"
.22 Rimfire (High Speed)
40 gr. Bullet
1260 fps
+ .25" - 0 - - 1.5" - 4.75"

The stuff that I shoot drops almost 8 inches, and I can watch them as they do it in a big scope.

BTW - please read the post from the guy with the Krico. I believe it. I have a 650SS in .308Win that is over 20 years old, and STILL shoots 3/4MOA all day long. Often less, if I'm really careful.

tac, the non-liar

Sorry, I guess it was mostly sour grapes, grrrrr, lol.
I believe you after reading your reply.
We've been shooting lately in the wind, rain and cold, from that perspective your groups just seem impossible.

Also, thanks for the correction on the drop!

Bug, the, only a few times a day, liar.

tac.... I wish that I could say that was poor shooting...but in the big scheme of .22's ...(from Ruger 10-22's to Annies and KRICO's and Brno's and Izzies') and shooters....(Plinkers to smallbore High Masters)...that is still fair or better shooting..:):):):)

But that reminds me of a sign I saw once in a car shop; (How fast do you want to go??????How much do you want to spend?????)

Small bore shooters that have put in the time ..and have matched ammo to rifle.....and have a good to great rifle...are capable of amazing accuracy...

Sir, I bleeve I posted this before, a good while ago, but there was no big money involved with my old guns - all three were going to get cut up.

1. The true LH-action BSA came with a full set of Al Freeland target tube sights along with a spare set of Unertl POSA micrometer adjusters, plus a box of five of each of every one of the Anschutz foresight elements - it cost me $75. Total.

2. The BSA with the thumbhole stock was deemed so ugly that it was actually hauled out of the 'to be de-activated/destroyed' pile at a gun dealers - that cost me $60 at the time - about five years ago.

3. The Anschutz was in a damp gun locker at the back of the armoury, a club gun that had not seen the light of day since 1982, when I took it out to see what was lurking there and found it. It was covered with a fine layer of rust, like cocoa powder, which came off with the careful use of a B-C lead-remover cloth. the stock had no finish, so I refinished it, and the aluminium adjustable butt-plate was badly corroded, so I un-corroded it. Cost to me for the gun - a $50 to the gun club coffee fund.

The expensive bit was finding suitable scopes. I paid around $300 for each Tasco scope, and almost $800 for the Unertl.

So you see, the guns themselves didn't cost as much as a good steak dinner for two in reasonably priced restaurant.

Plus a whole lot of love applied by hand, of course, to bring them back to life.

tac

Sir, I have to admit that I'm not a beginner. In my part-time shooting career I have represented my branch of the armed services, and finally, my natal country. I have shot handgun at single service, tri-service, national and international match level. I am a coach and instructor for beginning shooters who are disabled, as well as able-bodied.

I am a life member of the NRA.

I, Sir, am a proud, once good but now but sadly fading, shooter.

One day I'll lie down on the range, but someone else will get me up.

tac

WOW as I am exeperinceing more and more I learn one thing and learn of 10 others. As well as learn of a fairly sizable amount of amazing shooters in this area!

So you see, the guns themselves didn't cost as much as a good steak dinner for two in reasonably priced restaurant.
For you Sir, a good deal indeed....Perhaps a little more dear for the original bright eyed boy(or his parents) before they were put down for other dreams..
Plus a whole lot of love applied by hand, of course, to bring them back to life.
as is fitting..considering the tale ....an old firearm resurrected by an old shooter....
I am a coach and instructor for beginning shooters who are disabled, as well as able-bodied.
Thank you sir...I hope that you are as blessed by that as your students are....
I, Sir, am a proud, once good but now but sadly fading, shooter.

One day I'll lie down on the range, but someone else will get me up.

tac
I sincerely hope that I meet you someday before then....Please contact me when you are in the Pac NW....I am the father of a young (17) small bore shooter and I'm a rifle instructor and would appreciate further discourse on those subjects..

W44

Please contact me when you are in the Pac NW....I am the father of a young (17) small bore shooter and I'm a rifle instructor and would appreciate further discourse on those subjects..

W44

Sir, thank you for your kind words and invitement. I guess I'm one of those lucky cusses who get to spend time where I am most happy on earth - surrounded by mountains, trees and rivers.

I'm referring to BC, WA and OR, of course, not the agricultural wasteland over here in yUK.

We usually spend at least a month a year futzing around OR, visiting with good friends in various locations - PDX, Eugene, Springfield, Grants Pass and Port Orford, and have an 'understanding' with a vacation home in Cannon Beach, too.

I'm also privileged to have membership of one of the best ranges in the PNW, Clark Rifles of Brush Prairie WA, where I get to spend time with some great folks who are as bats about guns and shooting as I am, as well as having the use of a couple of good ranges down near Eugene.

PM me if you care to - we are coming over in May, alevai.

Best wishes

tac

Tac,

I really appreciate all your input! I hope to one day be near your level of expertise. For a guy that shoots for fun but wants to really challenge himself, I've certainly learned a bit just from this one little post.

The next time your in Eugene, drop me a line. (I'll PM you my contact info) If I can I'd enjoy the chance to have fun at the range.

Thanks

not your average .22lr

tac-ops green hornet

greenhornet2.jpg

Nice. Now read the fine print. It will shoot 1" groups at 50 yards, but beyond that the ".22 begins to suffer."

I'm still waiting to see with my own two eyes the .22lr that will shoot sub moa at 100 yards at any price and in any hands.

I'm not calling the BS flag on anyone, but I've lived a long time and I've never seen anyone come close to that. No matter how fine or expensive or well tuned the rifle, the limitation is in the round.

On an NRA A-25 target the x is 1" and the 10 ring is 2"

the 2009 Camp Perry 100 yd. metallic sight champion scored 400-33x... or roughly 82.5% @1MOA (or better) and the remainder (7 shots) at greater than 1MOA and less than 2MOA...

So I guess that you could say thats not quite sub-moa shooting...

The record (I believe) was in '72 and only 400- 39x.....But I didn't see it.......Again, not quite sub-MOA..but the platform is capable...just.....

Gotta add for emphasis...these records are scored with metallic sights and fired from the prone position....no rests or sand bags....rifle supported only by support arm and sling....
Maybe w/glass and a benchrest?????

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads