JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What I mean by accuracy is 1MOA or sub MOA. Is is possible?

I have a stock 10/22 tried bulk, and CCI and Wolf target match. and I can't get a consistent group to save my life. I am willing to dump the 10/22 and get a bolt action .22, but I'm not sure if that will be worth it either. Am I dealing with the limitation of the round, or do I just need a better rifle.

At the range I have asked, and some people say 75yrds max. Yet there are guys that shoot out to 200yrds, since its a competition, I assume they are doing so fairly accurately.

thoughts?

I think your target match stuff (assuming subsonic) would experience more drop @ 100 yards compared with high velocity.

Are you just dealing with vertical inconsistency, or are your groups also scattered horizontally? Not trying to be critical, but ballistics and the weapon are only part of the equation.

No no, I really appreacate a more in-depth analysis.

I know I'm consistantly capable of 1/2" groups @ 100yrds with my AR and good ammo. I do realize that's a very different animal, but just to let you know I can shoot that.

As this is the 1st time I'm pushing the limits of a round, I'm kinda flying blind. The day of my test wasn't ideal, raining and very damp. At 50yrds, 1/2", as I was going trying for 100yrds anyway, I figured I would just dial in the scope @ 100. At 100 though, my groups were all over. Primarly vertical, but not always. IF they were all vertical, high or low, I could have adjusted accordingly, but they never stayed the same.

If I'm missing something (and I likely am) please let me know.

Thanks,

Many, many people have stock or tricked out 10-22's that are very accurate. I am not one of those people. The sole 10-22 I have owned I bought new in Hawaii and the darn thing would shoot no better then 6" at 25 yards and this was off a bench. I could not get rid of it fast enough.
I used to own an Anschutz 1416 D. This was a true sub-MOA rifle. A good rifle, good ammunition and the ability to dope the wind wiil give you the accuracy you want out of a .22 rimfire.

bulk ammunition is notorious for variance in load and performance. Rimfire shooters don't often weigh the ammunition (there's too many variables), but they will use a rim gauge to sort by rim thickness.
A 10/22 is a fun, nifty rifle, but it's not known as a tack-driver. That doesn't mean you need an Anschutz... but a single shot bolt action or tube fed semi-auto may give you better results, without spending a lot of money. Also, "customizing" your 10/22 with aftermarket bolt on do-dads is immensly popular, and pretty fun.
what you're looking for is consistency... repeatable, predictable performance of all the components you can think of.
If your form and follow through is perfect, if you never jerk or pull a shot, if your sight picture and cheek weld are perfect every time, start fine tuning the rifle. But even if your rifle and technique are perfect, the ammunition is still going to hang you up... garbage in=garbage out.
My 10/22 definitely performs better with Blazer bulk ammo than with any of the others Ive tried. Try a box of Federal, a box of CCI, a box of the fancy target stuff. Shoot 10 shot groups at 25yds, 50 yds, 75 yds, and 100 yds, and see what the results tell you.

With a little google searching you will find lots of information on tuning up the 10/22 and minor tweaking you can do yourself without buying anything.
You can also buy a heavier barreled bolt action .22. Savage and I think CZ make new ones, as does Ruger, that are real nice, and you can find old military trainers by Mossberg and others for around $200

I was trying to avoid dropping a ton of cash on this, as I just did that on my AR about 2k. I am thinking about dumping the 10/22 and getting a bolt-action 22. I just don't want to spend a fortune doing it, At least if i can avoid it. The Anschutz are very nice but $$$. do you have a suggestion beyond that?

Thanks

I have wanted one of these <broken link removed> for a while now:

this is the BV model, MSRP $352

but other models you might like are:
FVT $414
FV $280
BTVS $455
BTV $406

personally, I wouldn't dump a ton on a scope, either. I'd either go irons or a mid to low tier scope, like a bushnell...

Pretty much any off the shelf bolt action gun will yeild better results than a "stock" auto, just due to design. Auto's have enheirant slop built into all of the components (bolt,chamber ect) that allow them to work properly, bolt guns do not need these loose tolerances. Probably the biggest problem with a 10/22 (or any other auto) is the chamber dimensions. for instance; just in the chamber length alone, a 10/22 chamber can be as much as .050" longer than say a anshultz or a win. 52D.
Some of this can be addressed by setting back the barrel and re-chambering it. This is a very common procedure that results in what i would consider very good accuracy for a 22LR. I did my factory stainless barrel with a Bentz chamber. I had it out at the range yesterday and shot five different ammo's.
CCI-mini mags, Federal bulk HP, Federal bulk lead, Squires and RWS match. at 100yrds the squires performed the best out of my gun, around 1-2".
The factory barrel that i did on my dads gun has a PTG match chamber (about as tight as you want to go an a 10/22) and it shot the CCI mini-mags very well, consistantly around an inch @ 100yds. At fifty yards, either gun will shoot 1/2" with most bulk ammo. I have also accurized the bolts on both of these rifles and they both sport 3x9 scopes. Optics are also another very important key when bench shooting at a 100. sorry about the long winded post.

The Savage bolt actions are scary accurate out of the box. Bought
a synthetic stocked one for $139 or so, and it is MOA at 100 with the
right ammo. Accu-Trigger is S-W-E-E-T!

Stock 10-22? Not so good. 10-22 with a good bull barrel, a decent
trigger and optics? My heavy 10-22, with a Clerke Barrel and the right ammo
will put them all under a dime--all day long at 100 yds. from the bench,
as long as I do my part and the wind stays away.

The right ammo. 22's are picky. And it's not always the high dollar
stuff that makes them happy. Overall, I've had more guns like American
Eagle solids than not. Gather as many brands as you can. Find what it
likes and buy as much as you can locate.

Well so far I'm leaning to the Savage MARK II BTVS. BillM.. what ammo do you get the best results @100 with?

Thanks to everyone for the input, it is seriously helpful !

I just bought a Savage mkii FV its the syntehtic, bull barrel, blued, accu trigger. I have a 3-9 x40 Nikon scope that I'm going to attach to it. Im curious to see what the accuracy is at 100 yds. Haven't shot it yet, but I shot my brother that had the thumb hole and loved it. Im going to thread it later, for a silencer, that's why I bought the bull barrel version.

Stock 10/22s are horribly inaccurate. I've got a Marlin 795 (semi auto) and it's much more accurate than a 10/22 IME, not sub MOA but pretty good for a stock auto loader.

If the Savage .22 is half as good as my Savage .17HMR it should be fantastic.

I built this for my son. Not much stock left on it. With Wolf Match Target ammo, he can pop eggs or charcoal briquettes at 100 yrds all day long with ease. I would think that with a quality bolt gun and the right optics, you could do pretty well with quality ammo. Win Dynapoint is pretty decent ammo for about half the price of the Wolf, if you can find it. I have not been able to recently.

10222.jpg

If I was to build another, it would be in 17 instead of 22. My 17 lever gun is very very accurate even with iron sights.

Well so far I'm leaning to the Savage MARK II BTVS. BillM.. what ammo do you get the best results @100 with?

Thanks to everyone for the input, it is seriously helpful !

MY Savage likes mini-mags. Yours might like something completely
different. 22's are strange that way. Almost everything seems to shoot OK with the American Eagle solids. So far. It's usually not the BEST, but it's
good enough for general shooting. Some guns are REALLY picky.

I have a Ruger Government Target pistol that shoots CCI green box best,
American Eagle second, tolerates Mini-Mags, and won't put all 10 rounds
of Aguila Subsonic in a five gallon bucket at 5 yards. You just have to
keep trying until you find what the gun likes.

We can shoot consistent 3 moa groups of 5 using cci mini mags on either our savage mark 2 bolt or our Marlin 795 semi auto, if not much wind, or not too cold, or not too rainy, with not much difference beteeen the two rifles. 22 shoots at 50 yards much better, and you actually get more useful feedback from the shots to improve your technique. At 100 the load and the condiitions have are way too much of a factor. Given warm, clear and no wind conditions we have managed rare groups of 2 moa at 100. At 50 though you can get 2moa just about all the time if you do your job.

Is your 10/22 a newer one with the plastic trigger group ? either way a good trigger job and get rid of the useless barrel band then try federal gold medal match 22lr. I found that removing the stupid band and a trigger job did wonders for my old 10/22. Just a thought

oldies,
the barrel band is not the problem with 10/22. the problem is that the rear of the receiver is not held in place by anything. by doing a simple pin job on the back of the receiver the barrel band can be left alone and the gun will shoot just fine. after some barrel and trigger work that is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top