JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On an NRA A-25 target the x is 1" and the 10 ring is 2"

the 2009 Camp Perry 100 yd. metallic sight champion scored 400-33x... or roughly 82.5% @1MOA (or better) and the remainder (7 shots) at greater than 1MOA and less than 2MOA...

So I guess that you could say thats not quite sub-moa shooting...

The record (I believe) was in '72 and only 400- 39x.....But I didn't see it.......Again, not quite sub-MOA..but the platform is capable...just.....

Gotta add for emphasis...these records are scored with metallic sights and fired from the prone position....no rests or sand bags....rifle supported only by support arm and sling....
Maybe w/glass and a benchrest?????

OK, now read back up this thread. I believe I see where someone mentioned a .22 rifle which would shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I believe I see some others mentioned that will shoot 3/4" groups.

I'm just saying I don't expect to live to see that. That must be some fine shooting for those who can.

OK, now read back up this thread. I believe I see where someone mentioned a .22 rifle which would shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yds. I believe I see some others mentioned that will shoot 3/4" groups.

I'm just saying I don't expect to live to see that. That must be some fine shooting for those who can.
That is good shooting....Those are NRA National records after all...

The OP doesn't state how many rounds in each group....

The 100-yd. Metallic sight match is fired at 4 bulls, so, 4- 10 shot groups....The 400-39x score means that shooter/rifle/ammo combo shot sub moa groups 3 outta four times and on the bull that he scored 9x, he still fired submoa 90% of the time.....

Gettin' 10 .22" rds. into a 1" circle packs 'em pretty close...

I can envision 1/2" groups.....otherwise I could never envision attaining that goal....

...I can envision 1/2" groups.....otherwise I could never envision attaining that goal....

Have you ever, with your own two eyes, seen a .22lr rifle and a shooter who could shoot 1/2" or even 3/4" groups at 100 yards? I mean, have you personally witnessed it?

I'm just saying that I've never seen it and I don't expect to ever see it personally.

$.02

I'm just saying that I've never seen it and I don't expect to ever see it personally.
You could if you went to a USA shooting or NRA small bore match...........The juniors often score 20x and better....50&#37;<moa with scores in the 360's-380's...good shooting indeed....

I did once watch a fella shoot a 250-25x off of a bench with glass at 50 yds...not the same at all.....woulda been a 3/8" or so group..25 shots though......

I just bought a Savage Mk II BV from gunbroker, mailed the money order today. Can't wait....... wonder what kind of groups I'll get?

Those guns are quite the chick magnet. I'll bet you get a group at least this good. :)

groupies.jpg

Range Report:

I went out to the range today to see what I could do at 100 yards with a .22lr. First off let me say how much fun I had.:) Even the cheap ammo was fun to watch the vapor trail and see the delayed impact. Just a slight amount of wind pushes the bullet quite a bit off.
The gun I shot was a 10/22 that I built a couple years back. There isn't much left on it (if anything) that is stock. I won't go into specifics but it isn't the standard bolt on stuff everyone slaps on their 10/22.
From my experience with the gun I knew it shot best with match ammo(Duh). I brought a box of Federal 719 match and a box of American Eagle AE5022 just for kicks. The AE5022 shot beautiful 6" or so groups (more like patterns).:D On the other hand...The match ammo shot under an inch consistantly. My best group was about .765".
I wasn't able to achieve the 1/2 moa mark but I do think it is possible with a match grade gun, ammo, and shooter under perfect conditions. Me....? I am thrilled with shooting about 3/4 moa.:s0155:

No I wasn't that far off...:s0131: I was aiming at the tip of the triangle and there was a slight wind.:s0155:

Last Edited:
Darn good shootin' 4thshake.....

Say... what is the outside to outside measurement on the shots at seven o'clock and one o'clock? Inquiring minds want to know....

My monitor scales the squares(on the target) at about 1-1/2"

Thanks! :D
Ok, you made me get out the calipers....
Well the squares are suppose to be 1" but my calipers say .965". Edge to edge the group is .865". The average size of the holes is .2" So doesn't that make my group a .765"? I will edit my above post with the more precise figure.

Edge to edge the group is .865". The average size of the holes is .2" So doesn't that make my group a .765"? I will edit my above post with the more precise figure.
.865 - .223 =.642"

Or............close to 5/8"....Darn tootin' that's good shootin'

Now ya gotta tell us what ya did to that 10-22....

Thanks much for the range work and follow-up report !!

I hope one or two others may have a report. Its sounding with a good enough rifle and match ammo, I can get the sub-MOA I was looking for at 100yrds

Nice shooting btw

I have heard that the problem with HV .22 ammo at 100yds is the disruption in flight from going supersonic to subsonic. So most subsonic ammo should perform better at 100yds.

wg

Sir, thank you for your kind words and invitement. I guess I'm one of those lucky cusses who get to spend time where I am most happy on earth - surrounded by mountains, trees and rivers.

I'm referring to BC, WA and OR, of course, not the agricultural wasteland over here in yUK.

We usually spend at least a month a year futzing around OR, visiting with good friends in various locations - PDX, Eugene, Springfield, Grants Pass and Port Orford, and have an 'understanding' with a vacation home in Cannon Beach, too.

I'm also privileged to have membership of one of the best ranges in the PNW, Clark Rifles of Brush Prairie WA, where I get to spend time with some great folks who are as bats about guns and shooting as I am, as well as having the use of a couple of good ranges down near Eugene.

PM me if you care to - we are coming over in May, alevai.

Best wishes

tac

I'm a three minute drive from Brush Prairie, WA. (East Orchards in Vancouver) It would be great to shoot some rounds with you when you are here in May.

OK, I went to a local store and bought some Eley Remington target ammo. I bought 50 rounds of target rifle, club match, and the better stuff I forgot the name. The target rifle was cheaper but did shoot tighter groups then mini mags. I had to crank the scope in the up direction about 3.5 inches to get it on the bullseye. Then I tried the Club Match and had to do juat a bit of change on the elevation and I shot my first 1 inch 5 shot group on a 22 ever (Savage mark 2 bolt action cheapie - non accutrigger). While this was great ,the ammo was $10 for 50 and I can almost get the much more powerful 17hmr for that price and it is sub moa in another cheap rifle I own. Of course this rifle is not the best, maybe with a better one the cheaper ammo would shoot much better. The better stuff called EPS actually shot wider groups but was faster (but not as fast as mini mags) so it required a scope adjust. When I was shooting this Eley ammo the rifle produced so little report of being shot I took a few normal fires as misfires and investigated only to find a new hole on the target. I think it may produce only enough impact force to use for moth hunting.

Last Edited:
I have chronographed .22lr ammo. It runs pretty close to what the factory claims. The standard velocity runs a little over 1000 fps. Most match ammo is standard velocity. High velocity runs a little over 1200 fps. I like the Federal 719 because it is high velocity and matches the trajectory of most of the ammo I shoot out of a .22lr. The price of match grade .22lr ammo is so much higher then normal .22lr ammo that I rarely use it. Both Federal and CCI make pretty good rimfire ammo. When you can find it, Federal Automatch is darn near as good as the 719 for much less money. It comes in a bulk pack of 325 I believe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top