JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone here reload .22 Hornet and what procedure are you using? I gave myself the gift of a Winchester M43 and read that some are full-length sizing, but others use a collet die to avoid stressing the thin tapered brass. How much crimp is necessary to keep the bullets from shifting while riding in the magazine?

Thanks,

I last reloaded for the Hornet in 1986... I did full length size, in a single stage and felt each case. They are very weak and you WILL loose some.
The biggest issue will be getting the proper sized bullet.. .224 is too big and you will collapse a lot of shoulders trying to figure out whats happening. A little inside neck lube helps...something like mica dust.
Find some quality .223 pills. I had great results with Hornady 40 and 45 gr and Nosler, which we used to be able buy at the nosler shop as seconds for next to nothing...back in the day!

FL or Neck size doesn't seem to matter on case life in my Ruger 77/22 Hornet. Some older rifles did have the 223 groove diameter and newer ones have mostly 224 groove diameter. Do some research on your rifle and find out what your barrrel groove diameter is and use the right bullets for your gun. I do not crimp any of my Hornet reloads as it is not necessary to do so for such a light recoiling cartridge, especially in a bolt action rifle. I have tried the roll crimp and this does seem to be tricky given the Hornet's thin necks. If you feel you must crimp, I would recommend a Lee Factory Crimp Die to do it. I would only feel the need to crimp reloads on 22 Hornet if I were shooting them in a LEVER action rifle and rough handling during loading were a concern. Make sure to chamfer the case mouth before seating bullets as well as brush the inside of the case neck before attempting to seat your bullets, this helps ease the process of bullet seating and extend your brass life too.

Fun little round and very cheap to shoot, that is if you can prolong the case life a little....

Ditto with Capn Jack! If you want to stop brass flow cold, go to the K-Hornet. With even that rudimentary sholder your brass will last twice as long. And, that's with a greater case capacity!
Love my Kimber .22 K-Hornet. :cool:

Oh BTW, In my experience, fire forming factory rounds are plenty accurate for hunting, then just neck size for the first batch.

Last Edited:
My experience with the hornet has been a long learning lesson. I am on my second eight pound jug of 1680 if that tells you anything. I only neck size a 1/4" of the neck and leave it at that. I have some cases I have fired over twenty times that are still good.

Thanks for the feedback, the collet die sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure if I'll be shooting it enough to justify the expense of re-chambering to K-Hornet. I'd need to lose a lot of cases to break even and the neck-sizing method sounds pretty reliable.

Shoot it and have fun. If you do have a case failure it usually separates around a quarter inch from the rim. The rest of the case is easily removed with a quarter inch tap held in the fingers. Before I started neck sizing I kept a tap in my shooting bag. Have not had to use is since I started neck sizing and the forty bucks I spent to make my CZ into a K-hornet was well spent.

If it is $40-60, then it sounds likes a good plan. I was expecting something over $100. Do you know someone locally who has done it and has the tool?

I have a K Hornet and I shoot factory Hornet ammo to fire form my K Hornet brass. I also spent less than $100 to have the chamber reamed to K Kornet. Fun round to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top