JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder is a 120-mph pursuit-rated pickup
The updated F-150 gets pursuit-class performance, stab-proof seats and features including Police Engine Idle for law enforcement use.

Antuan Goodwin

http://www.twitter.com/antgoo
March 16, 2021 8:10 a.m. PT

Ford's latest debut is one I'm not looking forward to seeing in my rearview. The automaker revealed the all-new 2021 F-150 Police Responder on Tuesday, a pursuit-rated pickup featuring modifications and improvements designed for law enforcement duty. The police truck is more spacious and capable than the model it replaces -- and faster, too, with an elevated top speed of 120 miles per hour.

Based on the recently redesigned F-150 SuperCrew, the F-150 Police Responder comes standard with Ford's 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, boasting the same 400 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque as the civilian model. Ford says both the twin-turbocharged motor and automatic transmission have been "uniquely calibrated" for police duty resulting in a top speed increase to 120 mph, but all of the 10-speed's ratios are the same. I'm guessing the difference probably comes down to removing a standard electronic 107-mph limiter and outfitting the Police Responder with pursuit-spec Goodyear 265/70R18 Wrangler Enforcer all-terrain tires, which are better suited than the consumer rubber for high speeds and are said to improve cornering agility without compromising off-road capability.

The Police Responder also benefits from many of the same upgrades found on the consumer-grade 2021 F-150, including the new torque-on-demand transfer case and "4-Auto" drive mode that automatically swaps between rear-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive automatically as needed while the officer focuses on driving the truck. The system biases toward the efficiency and improved handling of rear-drive on dry pavement, but seamlessly shifts to 4X4 in the wet, snowy or off-road conditions.

The F-150's FX4 Off-Road Package is standard equipment for the Police Responder, further boosting off-road performance with an electronic-locking rear axle, underbody skid plates, beefed up dampers and Hill Descent Control. Towing capacity is also improved, with options ranging from 7,000 pounds to 11,200 pounds -- though Ford specifically states that one should "not tow a trailer during patrol or pursuit situations."

Ford debuts new 2021 F-150 Police Responder pickup
See all photos
21-frd-f15-51261.png
21-frd-f15-51264.jpg
fl10680521-f150-poli-ip-mj.jpg
The pickup rolls out with a selection of upgrades exclusive to police work, including a feature called Police Engine Idle that lets an officer remove the key and exit the truck, locking the doors while the engine is running to power lights and sirens. The truck will be immobilized until the key -- either a traditional key or a wireless fob -- is returned, which prevents the running vehicle from being stolen. The front seats are upholstered in heavy-duty police-grade cloth with bolsters designed to accommodate a loaded duty belt and built-in steel intrusion plates in the seatbacks. Much of the interior can be extensively customized; the front console, for example, can be deleted and replaced with a department-specific unit or an upgraded Ford Interior Work Surface that provides a flat surface for a computer or paper-based work.

The Police Responder also features similar Sync 4 and Ford Telematics cabin tech as the standard F-150 with a few tweaks for intelligent fleet management, as well as much of the same driver safety tech, including optional forward collision warning with pedestrian detection and automatic emergency braking. The police vehicle does, however, feature a law-enforcement-exclusive one-touch switch that temporarily disables all precollision intervention tech, for situations where one may need to purposely nudge (or PIT maneuver) another vehicle.

The Chevrolet Silverado and Ram 1500 are both offered with Special Service Vehicle variants, but while they are beefed up for police duty, these pickups are not specifically designed as "pursuit vehicles." Chevy does offer its Tahoe in Police Pursuit Vehicle spec, topping out at 121 mph for the 4x4 model or 134 mph with 2WD, but that's an SUV not a pickup. So, Ford's claim that the F-150 Police Responder is "America's only purpose-built, pursuit-rated pickup truck" seems to hold water.

Ford is opening orders for the F-150 Police Responder to state and local governments this week with production beginning at Ford's Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri in the fall.

The fish cops and commercial vehicle enforcement guys will probably start ordering these. The sheriff's office here is already running some F-150s, especially in the areas with crappy roads. I'm not sure being "pursuit rated" means a whole lot with most departments putting the kybosh on pursuits.

The difference between the speed limiter on my M-Sport X1 (155 MPH) and that of a standard X1 (130 MPH) is just a software update which an agreeable dealer can do for a fee.

I doubt a standard F-150 could catch my X1 on any kind of public road, but I am not going to ever try to outrun an LE vehicle, and I am past the days of testing the upper limits of speed of my vehicles on public roads. I need my license for at least 10-20 more years and many states will put you in jail for exceeding 100 MPH on a public road, not to mention taking away your license - that is one reason I sold my Ducati.

I have a setting on my X1 to warn me when I exceed 80 MPH - rarely does it beep at me.

The 2021 F-150 is looking REALLY dated compared to what Chevy has been putting out with the new Silverado. They redesigned a lot of the parts, which is great, but the overall design language is almost identical to the 13th generation F-150. It's due for a big redesign, not just the headlights.

Great engines, but 120MPH isn't much to brag about these days; a 4-banger Accord can hit that easy.

Pursuit rated, including police package, is somewhat of a legal term, like assault rifle being a military firearm. Back in the 1960s & 70s depts were buying enforcement/patrol vehicles that were less expensive and without not special handling equipment, suspensions, electrical systems, etc. Then when the officers crashed and there were injuries and even a few deaths, private parties stated suing depts and manufacturers for selling and using cars not appropriate. Some agencies would by police package cars, but only for patrol. Might buy the same model for unmarked/detectives, but with a standard handling package. So the manufacturers came out with pursuit related. Electrical, handling, tires, mechanical etc was all heavy duty. Cars designated a pursuit rated were the way to go. But pursuit rated gave the manufacturers some liability leeway when a crash turned out very bad.

The 2021 F-150 is looking REALLY dated compared to what Chevy has been putting out with the new Silverado. They redesigned a lot of the parts, which is great, but the overall design language is almost identical to the 13th generation F-150. It's due for a big redesign, not just the headlights.

Great engines, but 120MPH isn't much to brag about these days; a 4-banger Accord can hit that easy.
The idea is that the police vehicle, truck or passenger car, can keep up, or keep in sight, with a high speed suspect vehicle and use the radio to coordinate spike strips or additional units to run the suspect out of gas.

Throw a Raptor suspension on there and a cage in the bed for perps and you'll have yourself a truck.

In reality, pickup trucks aren't great police vehicles for other than special assignments where you carry equipment, tow, or might have to carry a big dead animal.

They are too light in the back, center of gravity is higher, and its hard to keep gear free of moisture in the back unless you get a great canopy (turning the truck into an SUV).

I think that many cars today can easily exceed 120 MPH. Whether they can do it safely (even without traffic) or not is another matter.
Most these days can blow past 120. Pretty sure my 35 year old mini truck will do 120+ given enough runway. My car still has 3 gears left at 100 and it's 18 years old!

I know the early B8 Audi A4 was limited to 130 because of the tires it comes with from the factory. My mom's last sedan, a Acura, was limited to 160. That was in 2004.

Most new cars, that are not barely base models, will easily exceed 120.

Lots of places out east that 100+ can be done and the only danger is hitting an antelope or something. Speed limit in parts of Montana are 80. Legally there you can do the better part of 100. I remember doing 90+ to keep up with traffic in Texas.

In reality, pickup trucks aren't great police vehicles for other than special assignments where you carry equipment, tow, or might have to carry a big dead animal.
Officers like them. It's easy to spy on drivers and passengers in other vehicles as to what they are doing. They also are very stealthy, most folks are shocked when a pickup lights up as a LE vehicle. WSP and some counties have found pick ups far more versatile than SUVs or cars. Pickups can provide a better vantage point for observing traffic violations. WSP already has a number of Ford F150s in use in Eastern Washington.

Now I've heard of a V8 and a W8, but how does a B8 work? Is it some kind of rotary? :D
The B8 is a generation of the Audi A4. I want to say the B8 is 2010 thru something. I think it's still a B8 chassis so it's something like a B8+ now. My car is a B6. It's a 2003 A4. B6 was 2002-2005. B7 was 2007-2009 I believe. B5 was something like 1998-2001.

Probably way more Audi than you really wanted to know.

I could be confusing with Nissans too! The old truck is an 850 but also a D21 similar to the WD21 but nothing like the 750. The D22 is basically a facelift but the D40 is mostly different. :D

I'm not sure being "pursuit rated" means a whole lot with most departments putting the kybosh on pursuits.
Never understood why they do that besides a power trip and "I'm gonna win by destroying my ride, the car you stole and possibly kill somebody in a high speed pursuit..."

Guess if it's not your money being spent to fix the bubblegum you destroy. Rage on!

and I thought we weren't posting entire articles??? When did that change?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top