JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently came upon a 1917 Mauser G98 w/ matching receiver & barrel. It has a blued receiver and Lange ("roller coaster") rear sight. The bolt is not blued. There are no import marks and no export marks, the rifle looks 100% German, including the stock, which has 3 faintly visible Imperial Cartouches. Due to the bluing of the receiver and a "1937" stamp on the butt plate, I assume this rifle was arsenal reworked at some point, but I'm not sure by whom, since the Germans typically replaced the rear sight.

I am curious about this rust/bronze colored discoloration/blotching of the bore and receiver. It is not on the surface of the metal, but seems to be in patches and swirls in the metal. It is difficult to photograph except in the correct light.. This is not the plum color you see on Russian Capture K98k, it is something entirely different. Is this effect normal, or something I should be concerned about? None of my other milsurps has this.

IMG_9924.JPG IMG_9925.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top