JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"1911" is a reference to the design. I shoot a 9mm SA 1911 regularly. It is very enjoyable to shoot and virtually identical to a .45 1911, minus a little felt recoil and less money spent on ammo.

This is exactly why I own a 1911 in 9mm - cheap ammo. And yes, it's a lot of fun to shoot. As for the weight I don't carry it but I don't carry most of my guns.

Originally it was a model of 1911
wasnt that a military designation, not a manufacturer designation? IIRC eventually many different manufacturers were awarded production contracts (because Colt could keep up witb demand) for the "model 1911".

thats why Ive always thought of it (the name "1911") as a type of pistol not a manufacturer model.

I'm fairly sure that the year 1911 is the year the Browning design was adopted by the U.S. Army, hence the Model 1911 designation. As has been previously noted, MANY companies have been contracted or granted permission to reproduce the design. 1911 is not a brand, nor a specific caliber. It is simply a design, one that has been copied and modified multiple times. Sig Sauer 238 and Kimber Solo are good examples of a modified 1911 design. The grip angle and thumb safeties are similar, but neither have a grip safety. When all is said and done, the 1911 design is a timeless, almost perfect one. Darn near anyone can pick up a govt size 1911 and within a couple minutes know how to use the firearm and be very accurate with it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top