JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was growing up 1911 was a 45 APC. Even through my 50's it was a 45 ACP. So, when did it become ok to call a 9mm that LOOKS like a 1911, a 1911 ?
Every time I see someone saying they got a 9mm 1911 I think to myself, that should be a "looks like a 1911 9mm".;)
I know, in my old age I am becoming petty, I just think it might be confused :):(

Colt (like the C in Automatic Colts Pistol--ACP) Calls it a 1911 in 38 ACP, 38 Super , 9mm,
45 ACP and even 38 Special.

Do you also say a gun isn't a real Single Action Army if it isn't in 45 Colt?
Model 1873 Winchester isn't a '73 if it isn't in 44 WCF (44-40)?

The name of a firearm belongs to the platform, not to the caliber it is chambered in.

Glock pistols were originally designed for the 9x19 Parabellum and have since evolved to encompass nearly every popular handgun caliber.

Is it not okay to call a G21 a Glock because it's chambered in .45 ACP and not 9mm? It's the same platform. Different magazine and different barrel is all.

When I was growing up 1911 was a 45 APC. Even through my 50's it was a 45 ACP. So, when did it become ok to call a 9mm that LOOKS like a 1911, a 1911 ?
Every time I see someone saying they got a 9mm 1911 I think to myself, that should be a "looks like a 1911 9mm".;)
I know, in my old age I am becoming petty, I just think it might be confused :):(
I say this same thing when I see one of those bobbed handled things.
It's not a 1911 any more.

The analogy does work because the platform is the Glock and all Glocks have the same distinguishing features that classify them as Glocks. The numbers merely differentiate calibers or pistol sizes.

The analogy does work because the platform is the Glock and all Glocks have the same distinguishing features that classify them as Glocks. The numbers merely differentiate calibers or pistol sizes.

Correct, but not all Glock 30's are a Glock 19, yet they're Glocks with a distinguishing nomenclature, while the "1911" ..... meh, everyone JUST DEAL WITH IT! o_O:D

an indestructable, accurate, reliable... the original polymer gun. It doesnt matter what caliber they come in including a .45acp its still a Glock. If you want to buy a polymer gun you get the original, a Glock, everything elese is just a modern gun. If you want to buy a "45" you get one in a 1911, everything else is not a "45".

But indeed, why would one want a three pound 1911 in 9mm? That's why the Moses designed the two pound Hi-Power.
Let's see, maybe because we like the fit and feel of the 1911 and with the arthritis in our hands we have a difficult time getting an adequate grip on a double stack frame. Not to mention all of the leather and other accessories already acquired over the years that will still fit a 9mm in the 1911 platform.

This whole discussion is a little off the rails...

Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Glock and Browning are all Manufacturers.

1911, Hi-Power, XD and Buckmark are all Models.

.45 ACP, 9 mm, .40 S&W and .22lr are all calibers.

You get to mix and match to get what you want.

Let's see, maybe because we like the fit and feel of the 1911 and with the arthritis in our hands we have a difficult time getting an adequate grip on a double stack frame. Not to mention all of the leather and other accessories already acquired over the years that will still fit a 9mm in the 1911 platform.
Oh you choir preacher you!

It stands to reason that since my Turkish knockoff Zig M1911A1 is a Model 1911, A1 configuration built by Tisas... 1911 IS a model of semi-automatic magazine fed pistol. Glock is a brand. Colt is a brand. No one else makes Glocks except Glock. Sure, there are companies out there making knockoff Glocks, but they aren't a true Glock. There are a slew of companies that make 1911's in various calibers and configurations. If it is modeled on JMB's 1911 design, its a 1911. Caliber is unimportant for the purposes of identifying the design of the pistol. Series 70, series 80, model 1991, model 2011, these are variations of the original 1911 platform. I love all 1911's in all calibers, most natural pointing and shooting gun ever IMHO.

"1911" is a reference to the design. I shoot a 9mm SA 1911 regularly. It is very enjoyable to shoot and virtually identical to a .45 1911, minus a little felt recoil and less money spent on ammo.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top