JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i recently picked up a 1973 vintage Combat Commander that has the Matte nickel finish (Coltguard?), over which the previous owner sprayed high-temp header paint (so i'm told) on the slide only.

S/N 70SC25XXX

SOME of the paint can be scraped off with a thumbnail...what about the rest of it?

Any good way to remove the paint without messing up the finish under it? What chemicals can be used? I dont want to mess up the front sight insert that someone went to a lot of trouble to do.

And YES it needs CLEANED....that is an evening project SOON. Full strip and clean AFTER I go shoot it FIRST!

the front sight:
IMG_1900.jpg

The slide from the top:
IMG_1899.jpg

The whole thing:
IMG_1897.jpg

Agreed, Dechlorinated Brake Cleaner will do the job ....

Another +1 for that. Also, some spray on paint remover will do the job just cover the front sight and spray, then wait and card off with a piece of cardboard or a business card then clean with brake clean, oil and you're done.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :s0155:

Why non-chlorinated when chlorinated works far better?:D

Btw, I'd used Jabsco Premium Paint Remover. :s0155:

Chlorinated is horrible for you if inhaled and it's hard on parts with plastic and acrylics, like sights, grips and such.

I love the Jasco Aerosol paint remover. Easy to use and works wonderfully!

ACETONE works wonders...Its NICKEL under the header paint...see attached. Acetone does WONDERS when you have the right gloves and applicators.

Also one shot with the original stocks that the original purchaser dropped by last night.

Thanks all for the pointers.

IMG_1934.jpg

Or like this...

IMG_1931.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show