JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Any suggestions on possible issue with ammo jamming in my 1911? It got dirty then I started carrying a revolver for reliability. All jokes aside. It pushed the front of the bullet back into the casing. I've cleared it a few times, I usually joke but this one is not funny.

It is fairly clean now.
This is like saying your car does not run right. Which brand of car? Which engine? Which gas are you using? Is maintenance up to date? etc. Specific info all in one post will greatly help.

1. Which brand of gun and how old?
2. Which model?
3. Caliber?
4. Magazine - factory or aftermarket and which as well as how many different mags tried?
5. Ammunition in use? (Brand, bullet weight, bullet design, lead or jacketed, load if known, etc.)
6. Which mainspring - OEM or aftermarket and spring weight?
There are others, but this will be a decent start.

From your statement about the bullet getting shoved back, still not enough info...but it's most likely nosing into the frame ramp.

Which position is the round in the magazine does this happen? Magazine fully loaded or partial?

I love old heavily used 1911s each one has a story to tell.
But theres no way to know whats been done to that one, if a new quality factory mag doesnt fix it take it to a smith for a reliability tune up and it will be a reliable gun again.

A hunch, I might have put it into battery / racked the slide and put an old bullet back in. I lubed it all up and is working ok. This is under ideal conditions. I dont know how to say, sometimes living in PDX I need to rely on my carry. Hence moving to a revolver. Sometimes it might get dirty and I can't know when a semi will work.

Glock.

Someone had to say it.
Gleven

1643219780993.png

A hunch, I might have put it into battery / racked the slide and put an old bullet back in. I lubed it all up and is working ok. This is under ideal conditions. I dont know how to say, sometimes living in PDX I need to rely on my carry. Hence moving to a revolver. Sometimes it might get dirty and I can't know when a semi will work.
A semiauto or your semiauto?
Yea.
Are you going to use fmj's in your might get dirty .38 revolver?

most likely nosing into the frame ramp.
years ago I had a Gold Cup 45. All manner of solutions failed to resolve the problem for me. Finally my actual old school home town 'smith studied my particular issue. Obscure he said....but discovered my issue was 'slide rack recoil timing' trying to use hot load 185s which moved the slide back very snappily, and altering the rise-time for the magazine feed to elevate the next round. Everybody had been working on other modes of failure more common.

IN any case, good luck. While frustrating to resolve, learning yet another secret of ballistic happiness is worth the effort.

had the same thing with my S.A. 1911, from day one
finally installed a Wilson extractor - problems solved
That's from one of 3 things or the combo of all...extractor fail to control the brass, 1. - The hook not setup properly, 2. - Tension, not enough or too much, and 3. - Extractor clocking in the tunnel

years ago I had a Gold Cup 45. All manner of solutions failed to resolve the problem for me. Finally my actual old school home town 'smith studied my particular issue. Obscure he said....but discovered my issue was 'slide rack recoil timing' trying to use hot load 185s which moved the slide back very snappily, and altering the rise-time for the magazine feed to elevate the next round. Everybody had been working on other modes of failure more common.

IN any case, good luck. While frustrating to resolve, learning yet another secret of ballistic happiness is worth the effort.
when I replaced my S.A. ILS, with Conventional parts, I had all sorts of problems
but for the timing issue of hot loads (Buffalo Bore 185), I installed a 21# hammer spring and a Les Bauer firing pin stop with a modified radius
the pin stop really slowed down the slide recoil with the hot rounds
or an EGW pin stop and cut your own radius

Colt changed the radius of the firing pin stop, it was due to complaints of the Calvary trying rack the slide while on the move.

Unfortunately when the radius was changed, it changed the recoil impulse.

Colt changed the radius of the firing pin stop, it was due to complaints of the Calvary trying rack the slide while on the move.

Unfortunately when the radius was changed, it changed the recoil impulse.
I've noted that most 1911 manufactures list the round the pistol is tuned for in the operators manual
whenever one deviates from this, they may encounter problems without retuning, specifically with 9mm or 185 grn .45 +P
my R.I. manual says it's tuned for 115 gn ammo
when I ran 124 NATO, it cycled, but it kicked like a .45
now I carry a 4 pack of recoil springs for my 9mm and change them out for different loads and ammo
it only takes seconds to change out the springs

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads