Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

17" handguard on a 16" barrel too long?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Andyh23, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Andyh23

Andyh23 Seattle Member

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are you going to install the same slim flash can shown on the Armslist ad?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

You risk damaging the handguard. Depends on the muzzle device really.

4. Andyh23

Andyh23 Seattle Member

I'm thinking about this linear comp from MI: Midwest Industries MI AR-15 Blast Diverter Forward AR15 Linear Compensator (http://vtsupply.com/midwest-mi-ar-15-blast-diverter-forward-ar15-linear-compensator.html)

Yeah I know I'm limited to the flash can type and linear comp muzzle brakes.

5. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

The beautiful thing about this love affair we have with building firearms, you get to do whatever you want. I like the longer handguards, not because I put my hand out to the end like magpul fanboys, but because I like to have options for purchase on a barrier. Plus it can give you a longer sight radius, which all olympic shooters can agree on.

Brutus57 and clearconscience like this.
  6. Boboclown

Then you're good to go with it. It'll look funny, but you'll get a longer sight radius and more real estate. Plus a longer handguard=You can be further away from a barrier and still be able to rest the rifle on it without touching the barrel.

7. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking this, Andy, been thinking about doing the same thing. (Well, maybe different muzzle device but same principle--my first thought was a Noveske Flaming Pig.)

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Yeah right.
    I did this with a few pistol builds.
    I think it looks good. As long as you have a break like the pig there shouldn't be a problem

9. Diamondback

Mmmmm.... fire-breathin', barrel-shroudin' pure EVIL to the Bloomingfascists. :)

So what would be a good brake/flash suppressor for that barrel/handguard at Bad Breath Range Home Defense distances in low light?

10. bmtm09

bmtm09 olympia, wa Well-Known Member

Maybe I would be wrong but wouldn't the gas and smoke and un-burnt powder just end up in the hand guard???? Extra stuff to clean......Looks very cool though..would be interested in a post shoot inspection and cleaning report

11. Boboclown

Two things, I said risk, so I didn't say it'll break the moment you shoot it. Second, I also said it depends on the muzzle device. Ones that vents the flash forward=no risk. Ones that vents it to the sides=Risk.

Brutus57 and bmtm09 like this.
  12. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Risk= how stupid the builder is
    If you are smart enough(doesn't take much to build an AR) to build one you are probably smart enough to figure the muzzle device out
    No?o_O

bmtm09 likes this.
  13. Boboclown

As true as that maybe, there's the reason why I mentioned that it would really depend on the muzzle device. Better to take precaution and provide what could be unnecessary detail than not to.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I think that's a KX3 Flaming Pig, which only vents the gases and sound forward. Considering that is a UTG branded handguard, am betting that is a Chinese copy of the Noveske muzzle device. But only with a can or a KX3 would i put a 17" handguard on a 16" barrel.

bmtm09 likes this.
  15. Andyh23

Andyh23 Seattle Member

The KX3 is out of my budget at the moment so I'm gonna go for the Midwest industries linear compensator, which is made of steel and not aluminum like the KX3 copies.

16. Diamondback

Depending on diameter, Noveske KX5 works the same way IIRC. But it's still at Noveske prices...

17. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

i have a 15" utg slim keymod on my 16" barrel. with my muzzle brake my rail is 3" shorter than the barrel. i think you'll be fine as long as you be careful and dont put your hand all the way at the end of the rail when firing. OUCH! lol

Andyh23 and Brutus57 like this.
  18. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I did this with my AR pistol build. I have a 7.5" barrel with a Kaw Valley linear comp and a 9" handguard.
    The comp is just a hair past the handguard.
    Puts out quite the flame.

Andyh23 likes this.
  19. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I've looked at the JP comp...seems best all round for the money for someone on a limited budget.

Brutus Out

clearconscience likes this.
  20. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I really prefer the 13"-15" with the 16" barrel. But AR's are like women. Beauty is all in the eyes of the beer holder (or is that beholder?)...

clearconscience, Brutus57 and Andyh23 like this.