JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently have a pistol suppressor in "ATF Jail" and decided to put together a 9mm subsonic load in anticipation for its release.

I did some research on the Web and came across a thread focused on old recipes for heavier 9mm loads. One of the powders mentioned there was HS-6, of which I have plenty as I use it in my AR carbine loads. I bought a couple hundred 158gr PRVI SJHPs for testing. They are marketed for .38/.357 but their diameter is .355". Once-fired Federal cases and CCI 500s rounded out the list of components. I measured some 147gr factory rounds and settled on a 1.125" COL as I knew it would load/feed well in my handgun. The only drawback is the bullets do not seat deep enough to hide the cannelure. Yep, the rounds are ugly.

After a few trips to the range, I'm pleased to announce 5.7gr of HS-6 is pushing those bullets out of a 5" threaded barrel at 1034fps (standard deviation of 8.27) with no signs of over-pressure. Primers began to lose their rounded edges around 1080fps so I ended my testing there.

I wanted to compare my new load with a factory load. 147gr Federal HST averaged 1015fps, with a SD of 9.7, out of the same barrel. I was surprised the Federal rounds weren't hotter so it made my new load's performance all the more pleasing. :s0115:

A word of caution. HS6 is a slower burning powder and is notorious in my household for causing excess particulate blowback when shooting with a suppressor. It is intolerable unless using subsonic 9's in my 45 cal suppressor (less backpressure). The 45 rounds just plain stung and made an awful mess like shooting a flintlock. You will experience the same issue shooting 9's though a 9 suppressor if using HS6.

I changed over to Titegroup figuring with such a fast burning powder in low quantity that there would be no residual powder blowback (stinging hot particles on face and hands). My theory has proven correct and I am no longer subject to nasty commentary when my daughter is shooting.

If you are going to commit to HS6 use, try magnum primers and less powder. Reloading for range pistol plinking with suppressors isn't about how close to just under supersonic you can get, but rather what is the quietist yet most accurate load you can develop that doesn't make a painful mess for the shooter.

Also, keep in mind that any unburnt HS6 that collects in the suppressor should be cleaned out. I crack off a few 223 rounds through my Cosmic at the end of the day just to give it a high power blast cleaning. Your suppressor may or may not be rated to do this however.

A word of caution. HS6 is a slower burning powder and is notorious in my household for causing excess particulate blowback when shooting with a suppressor. It is intolerable unless using subsonic 9's in my 45 cal suppressor (less backpressure). The 45 rounds just plain stung and made an awful mess like shooting a flintlock. You will experience the same issue shooting 9's though a 9 suppressor if using HS6.

Thanks for the word of warning. My can is a .45 cal. I'm familiar with the coal mine that HS-6 can produce at the business end of a firearm. I learned the hard way when I was building up my aforementioned carbine load. The mess seemed to clear up as the recipe neared the maximum charge so I will keep an eye on this one and hope I can avoid that headache.

After a few trips to the range, I'm pleased to announce 5.7gr of HS-6 is pushing those bullets out of a 5" threaded barrel at 1034fps (standard deviation of 8.27) with no signs of over-pressure. Primers began to lose their rounded edges around 1080fps so I ended my testing there.

Single digit standard deviations are what good quality ammo is all about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top