JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so i found a old box at that estate sale that had a bag of a few hundred 308 bullets and by that time they were ready to deal so i took it home. problem is i'm new to reloads and have no idea about the point of the dbl cannelure. So i was hoping that someone could school me on why there are two?
here is a pic.
20171023_115208.jpg

I'm just guessing but it looks like a homemade cannelure to me. Again just guessing I'd say someone didn't like the first one and did a second one. I don't know of any purpose for having two. Of course, each will provide a different seating depth. But, neither one looks deep enough to be really useful.

I found this posting about double cannelure bullets. I am not espousing that this is correct, just some info.

They are for loading in either 30-06 or 7.62X51...you have to check for overall length of the rounds as to which application is for which round.
Certain MG like the 1919A4 are rather critical about overall lengths so that they feed right

On a side note some of the stuff I got was mis labeled and I got some magnum primers from cci and federal as well as some fiocchi primers that say all brass shells #645B. I'm guessing the fiocchi is for shotgun, so I'll just store em till I start reloading shotgun. My question is can i just use magnum primers like normal or only in magnum loads?

Last Edited:
It doesn't look like it was pulled (milsurp).. if it is/was military, it may be to hold the waterproofing lacquer better and or increase neck grip.
I never crimp any of my bottleneck military cartridges anyway.. most all bullets don't even have a cannellure.
I'd just seat them as per a loading manual/your rifle.

My question is can i just use magnum primers like normal or only in magnum loads?
That's kind of a tough question but I would suggest you use the Magnum Primers with the loads that are close to full cases. I think you'll be okay with that. I'm not one to use Primers from somebody else's stash unless I know that they have been properly stored. Cool and Dry storage is considered proper, in my opinion. If Primers or Powder are allowed to get too warm they "Can" change in some strange ways. It's kind of a use at your own risk unless you know how it was stored - I guess I already said that.

The only time I've ever seen a double cannelure on a FMJ bullet was to ID it as something other than ball ammo. I have a couple bandoliers of WWII 30-06 AP that has the double cannelure.

The bullet in your photo looks a little long for ball. Is there visible lead in the base? To be honest, that really looks like an AP bullet to me.

Yep, thought so. Do a google image search for FN P80 bullet. It looks like people sell those on Gunbroker for a buck apiece.

If you load them up, some ranges don't allow them. They don't like holes through their backplates.

On a side note some of the stuff I got was mis labeled and I got some magnum primers from cci and federal as well as some fiocchi primers that say all brass shells #645B. I'm guessing the fiocchi is for shotgun, so I'll just store em till I start reloading shotgun. My question is can i just use magnum primers like normal or only in magnum loads?
Magnum primers can often be interchanged with their non-magnum counterparts, but it is wise to download the powder charge until you can verify you're not getting too high of a pressure.

ok so i'll just sit the magnum stuff to the side i'm sure eventually i'll get something i can use it on.

ep, thought so. Do a google image search for FN P80 bullet. It looks like people sell those on Gunbroker for a buck apiece.

other than the black paint it looks exactly the same even has the little bit of led at the bottom, there is a bit of black paint on em but for the most part it has been cleaned off.

I didn't see any Black paint in your picture or I'd have said AP. That being said, I'd strongly suggest you think about weighting those Bullets before using. I say that because I'm thinking now that they just might be either Seconds or simply Rejected product. :D

Yea, I'd put a magnet on 'em just to see if they might be AP. If they are magnetic, you'd probably have to dissect one to see if the steel "penetrator" was soft or drill-bit hard. If they're hard, they'd be AP.

they attract a magnet and i weighed 30 of them they average 150-151 with 7 that were 151-151.5 how bad is that? at what point would the variance in weight affect the bullet?
i'm gonna go back down and cut one open and i'll let ya know what i get

How close is "close enough" depends on what you are doing. I've known Bench Rest shooters who don't accept anything less than 1/10th of a grain. AND they weigh each and every Bullet. But then they'll also do thinks like measuring the diameter of each Bullet.

The bottom line is it's up to you if these are close enough.

they attract a magnet and i weighed 30 of them they average 150-151 with 7 that were 151-151.5 how bad is that? at what point would the variance in weight affect the bullet?
i'm gonna go back down and cut one open and i'll let ya know what i get
Well if they have penetrators in them that's about par/what is standard for that weight. Look at a reloading manual and they don't have separate loads for the same bullet that varies by that little.

Ok so cut one open and it is defiantly a hardened steel core, I took a center punch to one side and couldn't do much to it w/o beating it hard. Here is a pic. So I guess I got me some armored zombie bullets.
1508864084263117252405.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads